Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #1

I hate meeces to pieces

So the saga of my 1996 Itasca Sunrise continues. This time it started with a simple enough investigation of the rear A/C unit. When I took it on our first road trip last month I noticed that the rear A/C wasn't blowing much air and certainly wasn't blowing cold. And to make matters worse, every time you switched on the blower, it would rain styrofoam particles out of the rear A/C ducts. Just one more thing to add to the list to work on later.

Later started earlier this week when I pulled off the ceiling assembly and found the blower fan cage full of styrofoam particles. I also needed a new ceiling assembly because the louvers would snap off as soon as you touched them. The updated ceiling assembly arrived yesterday so I went to work on it early this morning.

I cleaned all of the styrofoam out of the blower fan and I found one obvious mouse hole but I didn't think it was enough for the amount of styrofoam that I found in the blower fan. I noticed the the front A/C vent channels went all the way to the rear A/C so I removed all the ceiling vents for the front A/C. With all the vents pulled I got out my cordless electric leaf blower, stuck the nozzle in the farthest hole from the rear and pulled the trigger. The amount of styrofoam and dirt particles and mouse crap that blew out at the rear A/C end of the vent channel was amazing! Apparently a small mouse village had been constructed in the ceiling styrofoam between two of the vent openings that included a super highway of mouse runs with on and off ramps.

Fortunately this only effected the last three vents so I used spray foam to block off this section of vent channel at both ends. With the damaged area isolated I don't have to worry about debris getting into the rear A/C blower again and showering our bed with styrofoam and mouse droppings.

I got the new updated ceiling assembly installed and when I switched on the rear A/C I couldn't believe how well it worked. It really moves some air and blows cold now. The loss of the rear three vents coming from the front A/C is minor and worth it to stop the mess the mice made. Thats it for now but I trust there's more to follow when I start repairing the head liner.

Take care,
John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
You didn't call Mr. Jinks?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
You didn't call Mr. Jinks?
You got it!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #4

One irv2.com member designed a pet/child-proof mouse bait station for his RV and in their home. You'll need to run a search for his post with design. It was perhaps 6-8 months ago. I remember the design, but I would not presume to speak for him.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
One irv2.com member designed a pet/child-proof mouse bait station for his RV and in their home. You'll need to run a search for his post with design. It was perhaps 6-8 months ago. I remember the design, but I would not presume to speak for him.
Thanks Ray. I'll try to find it.
John
Old 08-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #6

Check out "5 gal mouse trap". On YouTube Works great and simple to build.

gasman936
04 Discovery 39s
Old 08-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenHome View Post
Thanks Ray. I'll try to find it.
John
Here it is, with pictures!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Ray,

Now that is a fantastic idea! I already have the bait so I'll make the trap this weekend.

Thanks again.

John
Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #9

I too think it's a great invention. Be sure to visit T Gibsons post and pictures, then click the "Thanks" button at bottom right to acknowledge his contribution to the forum.