Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 04:50 AM   #1

I keep bumping my head!

My husband & I bought a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30 ft. last year & have taken 2 trips. The bedroom has a self, mounted on the wall and a small TV sits on it. I frequently hit my head on this self. We would like to remove the self and mount a flat screen TV on the wall. Any suggestions on removal of self without damaging the wall and the best way to mount the TV ? The TV weighs 7 pounds.
Thanks for any ideas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #2

Your flatscreen install will vary ... hopefully someone with your model will come along to provide info.

In the meantime, my bedroom TV (a 24" flatscreen) is mounted on one of these (reasonably priced and decent quality).

Amazon.com: VideoSecu TV Wall Mount Articulating Arm Bracket for most 12"-24", some up to 27" with VESA 100/75mm LCD LED Flat Panel Screen TV and Monitor ML10B 1E9: Electronics

Old 02-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #3

After removing the shelf you will have to deal with the holes left by the screws. Depending on what finish you have, will determine how you hide them. If it is wood you can get wax pencils at your home center in the paint department to match your wall color and fill the holes. If your it is like wallpaper, you might be able to cover them using colored pencils.
You should be able to attach the mount for the flat screen to studs in the wall. You can use a "stud finder" or sometime just by tapping on the wall and listen for the different sound.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When you remove the shelf just mount the flatscreen right over the same area. Presto, no holes!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ours had a TV shelf across the the corner and like you we kept bumping our heads on it as we went around the corner of the bed. I removed it and will be mounting a LCD TV.
We have a light colored wall board paneling and I used white bathroom caulking to fill the screw holes. I just cut the tip real small, put the tip in the screw hole an squeezed a little in an wiped it off flush. Can't even see or find the holes now unless I look real hard for them. I don't think anyone would be able to find them unless I told them that there were holes there.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Dumb question from a newbie wannabe. When mounting something to the studs, since they are aluminum do you just drill a hole and use sheet metal screws?

If mounting something light to the walls, what kind of anchors do you use? Pop rivets?

Thanks. Don't have my yet but hope to soon.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Dumb question from a newbie wannabe. When mounting something to the studs, since they are aluminum do you just drill a hole and use sheet metal screws?

If mounting something light to the walls, what kind of anchors do you use? Pop rivets?

Thanks. Don't have my yet but hope to soon.
Yes, you can use sheet metal screws right into the studs!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks!

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote