Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: monroe mi.
Posts: 264
Blog Entries: 1
The rv is new to me so I'm going to get a volt meter here in a bit and will check it I am pluged in to the house now I don't know if I use the generator if it will be the same so I have some checking to do I did unplug it when I got the updated posts so we are all safe and STAYInG that way I will post later today as to what I find and thanks again for all the concerns and the info thank you thank you all
__________________

__________________
worleybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 53
Mike, I read that entire series and now I'm paranoid. So thanks for the knowledge, but...

Anyway, I was wondering it would be worthwhile to ground the RV to something like the cold water pipe where you hook up your water, or back to the pedestal itself using another wire - for example, a jumper cable clamped to to the frame of the RV and the power pedestal?

Would that protect you in case something went wrong in a setup that checked out ok initially?
__________________

__________________
lemosley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #31
Member
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemosley01 View Post
Mike, I read that entire series and now I'm paranoid. So thanks for the knowledge, but...

Anyway, I was wondering it would be worthwhile to ground the RV to something like the cold water pipe where you hook up your water, or back to the pedestal itself using another wire - for example, a jumper cable clamped to to the frame of the RV and the power pedestal?

Would that protect you in case something went wrong in a setup that checked out ok initially?
I think a secondary ground is overkill. But I do think that a voltage/surge suppressor such as one of the products from Progressive Industries is a great idea. That way if the pedestal voltage goes out of bounds or the ground disconnects after you've plugged in, you'll get a warning.

Mike Sokol
__________________
SoundGuy / Mike Sokol
www.NoShockZone.org
SoundGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
bailiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuy View Post
I think a secondary ground is overkill. But I do think that a voltage/surge suppressor such as one of the products from Progressive Industries is a great idea. That way if the pedestal voltage goes out of bounds or the ground disconnects after you've plugged in, you'll get a warning.

Mike Sokol
We bought our 2000 MADP in April. When I first plugged in at our home, nothing. Checked my Progrsessive unit and saw an error code for reversed polarity. Traced it back to the plug in our garage. It had been that way since the house was built in 1985. I had used it for years on all our other campers and didn't know.
__________________
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #33
Member
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
We bought our 2000 MADP in April. When I first plugged in at our home, nothing. Checked my Progrsessive unit and saw an error code for reversed polarity. Traced it back to the plug in our garage. It had been that way since the house was built in 1985. I had used it for years on all our other campers and didn't know.
The cost of a good voltage/surge suppressor is around $300 for a 30-amp unit. That's less than the deductible of most RV insurance policies. See my article on Surge/Voltage protector at RV Electrical Safety: Surge Strips | No~Shock~Zone

I've talked to Progressive Industries engineers about the design, and they said their products are tested up to 480 volts, which should protect you from just about any crazy wiring mistakes. Just be aware that there are no products on the market to protect you from an RPBG outlet, but for everything else they're great.
__________________
SoundGuy / Mike Sokol
www.NoShockZone.org
SoundGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Whizzer60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
X4.
Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy( 13 year old Shih-tzu )

I live close to a town in Louisiana named Tallulah. Never heard it anywhere else.
Birthplace of Conway Twitty
__________________
Whizzer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #35
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer60 View Post

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy( 13 year old Shih-tzu )

I live close to a town in Louisiana named Tallulah. Never heard it anywhere else.
Birthplace of Conway Twitty
We've been there twice and Tallulah was given a Police Dept patch by the chief. We've also been to Tallulah Falls Ga and hiked the Gorge in the State Park ( last week for the second time ).

http://www.northgeorgia.com/attractions/tallulah-gorge


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1706398221.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	44284
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: monroe mi.
Posts: 264
Blog Entries: 1
ok here is what i found out. the plug i was using is not grounded ( this is the same plug we use for the swimming pool ) about 3 years ago we had our house rewired with 200 amp service so one would be under the impression if the city passed it it would be good to go. now how did i find this out you ask. i was getting my dog who is sick right now from under the aluminum deck around the pool and my back was touching the deck and my leg touched the plug by the pump and holly cow i went right down so time for a electrician to come out and fix what should have beed done the first time. so i think im going to have them put a 50 amp plug next to the drive way just for the rv. so in all the rig is a ok it was the plug. thanks for all the advice you guys rock....
__________________
worleybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #37
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26,726
When you have the electrician put in your 50amp service make sure he wires for a RV and not for a dryer circuit. USE THE LINK PROVIDED
Thank God your lucky you can now feel how your RV can wipe you out, be safe around electric which ever type it is.
__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #38
Member
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by worleybyrd View Post
ok here is what i found out. the plug i was using is not grounded ( this is the same plug we use for the swimming pool ) about 3 years ago we had our house rewired with 200 amp service so one would be under the impression if the city passed it it would be good to go. now how did i find this out you ask. i was getting my dog who is sick right now from under the aluminum deck around the pool and my back was touching the deck and my leg touched the plug by the pump and holly cow i went right down so time for a electrician to come out and fix what should have beed done the first time. so i think im going to have them put a 50 amp plug next to the drive way just for the rv. ..
I would go back and find out who was the electrician and inspector on your job, and read them the riot act. They could have killed you or a neighbor. And you'll need to double-check the new outlet wiring for the RV. Here's an article I wrote about checking RV outlets for proper voltages: RV Electrical Safety: Part III

And be especially careful if you're putting in a 30-amp outlet since they're wired to 120-volts, not 240-volts like the dryer outlet they resemble. See Mis-wiring a 120-volt RV outlet with 240-volts | No~Shock~Zone

If they're putting in a 50-amp/240-volt outlet for your RV, they need to confirm that the neutral is connected properly. An open neutral is very bad on your RV appliances.
__________________
SoundGuy / Mike Sokol
www.NoShockZone.org
SoundGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by worleybyrd View Post
ok here is what i found out. the plug i was using is not grounded ( this is the same plug we use for the swimming pool ) about 3 years ago we had our house rewired with 200 amp service so one would be under the impression if the city passed it it would be good to go. now how did i find this out you ask. i was getting my dog who is sick right now from under the aluminum deck around the pool and my back was touching the deck and my leg touched the plug by the pump and holly cow i went right down so time for a electrician to come out and fix what should have beed done the first time. so i think im going to have them put a 50 amp plug next to the drive way just for the rv. so in all the rig is a ok it was the plug. thanks for all the advice you guys rock....
YOU have a SWIMMING POOL that is plugged into a receptacle that is NOT ON A GFI RECEPTACLE ? That is living dangerously. While they are installing the 50 amp service have them either change the swimming pool circuit breaker for a GFI breaker.
__________________
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #40
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by worleybyrd View Post

ok here is what i found out. the plug i was using is not grounded ( this is the same plug we use for the swimming pool ) about 3 years ago we had our house rewired with 200 amp service so one would be under the impression if the city passed it it would be good to go. now how did i find this out you ask. i was getting my dog who is sick right now from under the aluminum deck around the pool and my back was touching the deck and my leg touched the plug by the pump and holly cow i went right down so time for a electrician to come out and fix what should have been done the first time. so i think im going to have them put a 50 amp plug next to the drive way just for the rv. so in all the rig is a ok it was the plug. thanks for all the advice you guys rock....
Who did the wiring on the outlet for the pool?

Having the house service upgraded to 200 amps doesn't mean that the electrician and inspector will check each and every outlet in the house.

The responsibility lies on the person who installed the pool outlet PLUS they obviously had no clue what they were doing by NOT installing a GFCI.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
donhoward49's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 868
Wow,, I just clicked on this to see what I could learn.. 1 & 1/2 hours ago.. I have been reading "No-Shock Zone" for that long... I even went out and checked my orange extension cord at the plug that I replaced.. This guy puts a lot in plain language.
For myself, I have proven that I can not be killed by my own stupidity, Yet.
But with a Grandson running around the Rv I think its time to take all this seriously.
Thanks to everyone on this.
Don
__________________
2004 National Sea Breeze LX8375, Towing a 2012 Liberty.
donhoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: monroe mi.
Posts: 264
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Who did the wiring on the outlet for the pool?

Having the house service upgraded to 200 amps doesn't mean that the electrician and inspector will check each and every outlet in the house.

The responsibility lies on the person who installed the pool outlet PLUS they obviously had no clue what they were doing by NOT installing a GFCI.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
We put a 3rd floor on the house and the inspector told us that the whole house should be rewired ( house was built is 1846 ) so they rewired the whole house and the inspectors here in Monroe MI. Suggested the electrician so we figured if the city said there good they should be last night I got testers and it seems there is a bit more wrong with the house elec. so not only has the rv. And all the help from good ppl on this site we found a bigger problem and probably prevented a fire in my home So I ThANK you all
Now to get a good electrician to come in and redo the work
Thanks again to all
__________________

__________________
worleybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.