Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

I知 trying to understand Class A weights?

Based on the weights stated below, what is the weight that can be safely added to the coach? A simple deduction of the two numbers says 5,000 pounds. 32910 - 27910 = 5000 lbs.)

GCWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) 32,910
GVWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) 27,910

Under the above numbers in the brochure I'm looking at it says:
Important Note: All capacities are approximate, and all dimensions are nominal. Motorhomes are designed to allow for a wide variety of uses, extended trips with two people, or short trips with multiple people. Accordingly, each unit allows ample room for sleeping, seating, liquids, and cargo. While the customer is the benefciary of this design, the customer also bears the responsibility to select the proper combination of passengers, cargo, load, and tow vehicle without exceeding the chassis weight capabilities. Consumer may need additional braking capacity to tow loads greater than 1,000 pounds.

My question is, how do you figure out how much weight can be safely added to the coach?

Is there a formula like;

3400 lbs. Curb weight of toad vehicle
300 lbs. Weight added to toad vehicle

3700 lbs. Total (5000 - 3700 = 1300)

Based on those numbers does that mean you can add 1300 pounds?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For terms, See: Glossary

Warning - The GCWR is a capacity only used when figuring what can be towed by the motorized RV.

~Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the MAX LOADED WEIGHT that can ride on the axles of the RV.
~Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) is the empty RV (often called curb weight).

Take - GVWR.
Minus - UVW
Equals - total load capacity (including all tankage, people, and any weight pushing down on the trailer ball).

So, if the RV weighs 20,000lb empty and the chassis has a 22,000lb GVWR, you can load-up/carry 2,000lb of stuff, fuel, water, people, etc...the weight riding on the RV's tires.

The rules makers = NHTSA and the RVIA, muddy the waters a bit with the term Occupant and Cargo Carry Capacity (OCCC) that is supposed to be posted on all RV's (typically on the entry doorframe or a placard somewhere inside). OCCC "gives away" the weight of a full propane tank.

Note: OCCC is a motorized RV term. Trailers use CCC, but it is the same formula.
And, to make it even more complex, some Class A makers still (erroneously) use Net Carry Capacity (NCC - the pre-1996 term) for motorized RV's

Now...if you tow something with your Class A...
~Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is the TOTAL MASS (RV, gear inside, and any towed load) that can be moved down the road safely by the RV's drive system. This is the start point to calculate the towed allowance on the hitch. And, most chassis makers say any towed load must have brakes if over 1,500lb.

Hope that makes sense.
Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My take is that it all comes down to tires.

Look at the MAX load rating of your tires. Remember the rear duals are a different column in the table.

This gives you a max weight per axle.
Now assuming the mfg. used the proper axles to support the same max weight as your tires, you can ignore the axles. (one mfg was in fact using under rated front axles.

These numbers should add up to what you find on your vehicle sticker.

I think my coach only allows for about 1K additional lbs of equipment.
Remember, the weights include fuel, and water.

Is this what you were asking??

Dan
Old 09-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #4

I thought for sure I was asking a stupid question but I see not necessarily so. I've been confused about weights since I started looking at motorhomes. I'm still confused?

Dan, you're saying you can only add 1,000 pounds of, lets call it COS "carry on stuff"? COS means just that, things you carry onto the coach. Fuel, water, etc is not included in "Cary On Stuff" because you obviously don't cary fuel onto the coach.

Using your 1000 pound number, the first deduction of COS is people right? So you have four people 200 pounds each, thats 800 pounds. Everything in the basement and in the coach can nw only weigh another 200 pounds. Is that right?
Old 09-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
My take is that it all comes down to tires.

Look at the MAX load rating of your tires. Remember the rear duals are a different column in the table.

This gives you a max weight per axle.
Now assuming the mfg. used the proper axles to support the same max weight as your tires, you can ignore the axles. (one mfg was in fact using under rated front axles.

These numbers should add up to what you find on your vehicle sticker.

I think my coach only allows for about 1K additional lbs of equipment.
Remember, the weights include fuel, and water.

Is this what you were asking??

Dan
The lowest of the axle rating or tire rating will be the maximum that axle will carry.
For instance our front axle is rated for 20,000#'s but the tires will carry 21,000 @ 125 psi. (365/70 22.5)
Our rear tires will support 33,080 @ 130 psi but the rear axle is only rated for 20,000#'s 315/80 22.5
The tag has the same 365/70 22.5's which can carry 21,000 but the tag is only rated for 14,000.
So going by what Dan says I'd be overloaded if I used the max tire rating.
Going by the RV manufacturers weight/load ratings from the sticker inside you vehicle is the only way to do it if you haven't weighed the rig.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #6

You have the weight values reversed for your listing of GVWR and GCWR which can confuse the question. The GVWR is the total weight that the coach wheels should carry including everything you would put in it. Fuel, water food, clothing, people, etc. and any weight transferred to the hitch from a trailer. Weigh the coach with full fuel and full water. Subtract that weight from the GVWR of the coach. The result is the weight of people, food, clothing and other personal items you can add.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #7

Me D, what sticker inside the coach? There's a sticker in the coach telling you the weight you can add?
Old 09-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I thought for sure I was asking a stupid question but I see not necessarily so. I've been confused about weights since I started looking at motorhomes. I'm still confused?

Dan, you're saying you can only add 1,000 pounds of, lets call it COS "carry on stuff"? COS means just that, things you carry onto the coach. Fuel, water, etc is not included in "Cary On Stuff" because you obviously don't cary fuel onto the coach.

Using your 1000 pound number, the first deduction of COS is people right? So you have four people 200 pounds each, thats 800 pounds. Everything in the basement and in the coach can nw only weigh another 200 pounds. Is that right?

The two weights that you specify are both maximum limits of your coach. Your GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating), is the maximum weight that can be carried by the 6 wheels of your coach. To be sure what you can safely load into your coach, you need to have it weighed. The best is to weigh each wheel position but next best is to weigh each axle. You will then know how much payload you can carry on each axle. Your GVWR is the total of your steer axle weight rating and your drive axle weight rating. Those two numbers should be on a label close to the drives seat.

The GCWR (Gross combined weight rating), is the total of your GVWR and the max weight your chassis is rated to tow. In your case that allows for a 5,000 pound toad.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #9

Hi Crasher, so you have to weigh your coach to know? It's all pretty confusing isn't it! I wonder how many have put their Motorhome on a scale?
Old 09-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Never a stupid question.

However, you are mistaking that the GCWR is the total weight of the motor home. That's not true. GVWR is the total weight of the motor home. GCWR is the total amount that includes the motor home and anything it is pulling (toad or trailer).

As mentioned, you need to find the UVW (unladen vehicle weight aka curb weight) and subtract that from the GVWR to get the amount of weight you can add to the motor home. That includes ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that goes in or on the motor home.

Also as mentioned, you have to take into consideration the limits of the tires/wheels currently installed and the axle rating.

Gotta do the math.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #11

If they are knowledgeable RVer's, they have weighed their coach more than once. If not, they might get lucky or they might have a tire or structural problem in the future. Not knowing what your coach weighs is irresponsible.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Me D, what sticker inside the coach? There's a sticker in the coach telling you the weight you can add?

There should be a sticker somewhere in the coach. My 31K class C has a big yellow sticker on each cab door and another one in with the owner's manual. I've had other class C's with the info in closets and cabinets.
The current one lists the OCCC (occupants and cargo carrying capacity) in older units it was called CCC (cargo carrying capacity). That OCCC figure, in my case 3,275#, is what can be added to the vehicle as it came from the factory. The unloaded vehicle weight includes full fuel and oil. Deducting the OCCC figure from the GVWR, gives you the unloaded vehicle weight.
GCWR isn't a concern unless you're towing something. The coach you are talking about has a tow rating of 5,000#.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi Crasher, so you have to weigh your coach to know? It's all pretty confusing isn't it! I wonder how many have put their Motorhome on a scale?
I did rolling into Oregon two weeks ago by chance for a boat inspection at the port of entry truck scales in Ashland. Found out I was 20400# on the drive axle and 11200 on the steer. Hummmm..... Need to go reweigh without the boat and see what it is. Didn't think it was that close or even over weight for that matter.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #14

OK, It's sounds like one of the first things that needs doing is to weigh the coach. Left & Right - Front and Back and the entire coach. Could the dealer be involved in this on a new coach, they'd know where a scale would be right?

Once that is done do you recommend doing the same thing but this time with the coach loaded?

Getting these weights right sounds like a pretty darned important thing to me!

Tags
class a, weight