Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #1

I now have electric at my storage site.

Well I finally ditched the dirt lot I was storing my coach at for a covered spot with 15A electric. Maybe a dumb question but wondering what to leave on. We probably use our coach once or twice a month. I left it plugged in with the battery switches and the inverter on. Flipped the breaker for the fridge (don't know whether it's better to leave it on or off). I assume the batteries trickle charge so I just have to check the water levels once a month or so as I normally do. Any comments?
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #2

15A power is good for charger to maintain batteries.
Checking water levels is good idea.

Fridge......if OFF make sure it is completely empty and left blocked open so doesn't get mildew/mold
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm gonna disagree a bit with O-B about turning the refer off. It really does depend on you type of refer though. If it is a residential I see no reason to shut the refer off, especially if you think you might want it ready on short notice. The power draw of the refer and the charger will not exceed even 10 amps.

Don't get me wrong, there is NOTHING wrong if you decide to turn it off but then I agree that you need to empty it, clean it up and then keep it aired out. If you leave it running, keep a couple cans of your favorite beverage for when you visit it to check batteries.

I would even suggest that if your storage is covered you could even consider running a fantastic fan and crack a couple windows to keep it aired out.

Keep in mind that as I sit in my coach with 2 TVs running, a satellite receiver, a few lights and a residential refer I am only drawing 5-6 amps from the pedestal. When I run both fantastic fans at max speed I draw less than another amp.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Been doing this for 46 years. only time the refrigerator is off is to completely defrost same. Gas/electric. No moving parts to wear out always ready to go and never had a problem. I set the thermostat to 80 degrees on AC and in winter put a 1500 watt space heater set on 50 degrees. RV stays nice and dry with no humidity related problems.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm gonna disagree a bit with O-B about turning the refer off. It really does depend on you type of refer though. If it is a residential I see no reason to shut the refer off, especially if you think you might want it ready on short notice. The power draw of the refer and the charger will not exceed even 10 amps.

Don't get me wrong, there is NOTHING wrong if you decide to turn it off but then I agree that you need to empty it, clean it up and then keep it aired out. If you leave it running, keep a couple cans of your favorite beverage for when you visit it to check batteries.

I would even suggest that if your storage is covered you could even consider running a fantastic fan and crack a couple windows to keep it aired out.

Keep in mind that as I sit in my coach with 2 TVs running, a satellite receiver, a few lights and a residential refer I am only drawing 5-6 amps from the pedestal. When I run both fantastic fans at max speed I draw less than another amp.
Didn't post ANY opinion on whether to have fridge ON or OFF
That is owners preference as far as I am concerned.

What I posted was 'IF' OFF clean it out/door open
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
Been doing this for 46 years. only time the refrigerator is off is to completely defrost same. Gas/electric. No moving parts to wear out always ready to go and never had a problem. I set the thermostat to 80 degrees on AC and in winter put a 1500 watt space heater set on 50 degrees. RV stays nice and dry with no humidity related problems.
Your suggestion about leaving the the heat and AC on will not work on a 15 amp circuit.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:36 AM   #7

There is a good chance that the OP is going to be plugged into a GFCI outlet.

With them, it's a crap shoot, if and when they decide to trip, while not there.

IMHO, Knowing that, I would empty the fridge and block it open. You don't want to find a fridge full of rotting items, because it shut off 2 hours after you left, the last time.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #8

Good suggestions.

First - I have a residential fridge and leave it opened so it does not mildew inside. As one person noted, these are GFI outlets, and I share an outlet box with my neighbor, so it could trip for almost any reason.

I do have Fantastic fans and was considering leaving them running. Problem is, its so humid here in Florida I'd constantly be pulling humid air into the coach. This year, when I'd left the coach unused for a month, all the wood had swelled from the humidity and it took 3 days when camping with the AC and my dehumidifier running to get it back to normal. I considered running my dehumidifier, but then I'd have to plumb some sort of drain. Plus, the dehumidifier would act as a heater, so the coach would always be pretty warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Old 01-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #9

I'm on a shared 20 amp circuit at my storage location as well.

Yes, fridge off at the circuit breaker, 12 volt master off as well. Of course heat / AC off. Yes, as you are aware, you may only draw 10 amps, but if someone else is drawing power, you could trip the breaker.

If your inverter has a "charge only" mode vs. "on", switch it to "charge only" so if you loose power the inherent inverter load will not more quickly draw down the house batteries.

I also wait until the load has stabilized by checking my Progreessive (it's in the bay, with the dog bone / 20 amp connector attached) and inverter before we leave so I know we don't overload the circuit and trip the breaker. It's not uncommon for me to see a short 8 amp load when I plug in, then it usually stabilizes at about 3 amps.

I usually run up to check our coach once a week or so.......

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Good suggestions.

First - I have a residential fridge and leave it opened so it does not mildew inside. As one person noted, these are GFI outlets, and I share an outlet box with my neighbor, so it could trip for almost any reason.

I do have Fantastic fans and was considering leaving them running. Problem is, its so humid here in Florida I'd constantly be pulling humid air into the coach. This year, when I'd left the coach unused for a month, all the wood had swelled from the humidity and it took 3 days when camping with the AC and my dehumidifier running to get it back to normal. I considered running my dehumidifier, but then I'd have to plumb some sort of drain. Plus, the dehumidifier would act as a heater, so the coach would always be pretty warm.
I used this de-humidifier, for one season of Florida storage, when I had power.

It seemed to do the job and has a low power draw.

http://www.davisnet.com/product/air-dryr-1000/
Old 01-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #11

You can always put the dehumidifier in the shower and let it drain to your gray tank.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
You can always put the dehumidifier in the shower and let it drain to your gray tank.
HMMMM...after his comment about FL humidity which I hadn't thought of, I'm not sure that would be a good idea unless he has easy access to dumping facilities.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Didn't post ANY opinion on whether to have fridge ON or OFF
That is owners preference as far as I am concerned.

What I posted was 'IF' OFF clean it out/door open
I'm sorry I missed the "if".
Old 01-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post

Yes, fridge off at the circuit breaker, 12 volt master off as well.

Regards
Hmmm. 12 volt master? What is that?

Tags
storage