Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I thought the original post was enlightening, even a tad bit giggle... who sits on an antenna !? Lol
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our dealership always had a walk around before the renter left the lot. As the service manager, it was my job to show every scratch and ding. All were noted on the retal agreement. I cautioned them to make sure every thing was listed because they would be charged on return for any unlisted damage. We had a "lady?" return a rental and the whole right rear had been damaged. When she was told she would forfet the deposit she went ballastic. The dealership manager came running out to see what was wrong and she started screaming at him. I asked her why she signed the inspection sheet with no mention of the damage and she got even more crazy. At the same time a RV dealership in Texas called and said they were a Tiffin dealership and could they have one of their rental units pulled to our lot for a couple of weeks. We said yes. The next day a wrecker brought in a Allegro. It was badly damaged. (totalled) The dealership had rented it to a young man and he had parked on a hill and did not set the brake or put it in park. (I believe their was some alcohol involved.) When he had rented it in Texas, they had asked him if he was coming to freak week in Atlanta and he said no. They had a policy of not renting for freak week. Because of these two things, Our lot manager stopped renting motorhomes.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I thought the original post was enlightening, even a tad bit giggle... who sits on an antenna !? Lol

I spent some time as a corporate fixer for a medium sized oilfield service company once upon a time. One thing became clear: if you make something idiot proof some one will just come along with a better idiot.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #46
Commercial Member

if this is done properly, and with the ability to repair stuff yourself. it can be profitable.
ive seen it done many times. its a business, not a hobby. and yes you can deduct your time, if its done as a llc, or corporation, and you are listed as an employee.
simply bill it out as labor. if this isnt registered as a business, and if you just do it as a sideline, no you cant. ask your book keeper.

it takes a lot of money and time. if you dont have both, its bound to be a failure.
i would not rent out my personal rv.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a local (small) company who rent out only pop-ups. I think they have 5-6 in their fleet. From looking on their website they are all used, maybe 10-20 years old. I recognize the 1999 or 2000 Coleman's in their fleet. As far as renting they charge $295 for 3 nights, 6 nights $495 and monthly $2500. So most likely they bought nice used pop-ups for $2000 to $4000 and can re cope their investment in a few rentals.

So for a $2000 or $3000 investment ( used pop-ups)_they can make a few $1000 off each one per season. Or as a rental of a $100k Class A can make that same income, or more, but your inventory ( RV units) is substantially more.

I like their business model.... Pop up Rentals Inc... I think they have been in business for 6-7 years. Their only down side is they are way out in the country 30 miles from any population center.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #48

Most production providers require the renters to insure the gear and name the providing company as an additional named insured, but often this covers only major problems like damage/destruction from a transportation accident or catastrophic incident like having a lighting truss roll off the arena dock, or loss of use if a truck gets impounded or there is a venue incident that keeps the provider from immediately recovering their gear (Boardwalk Hall in NJ, read more here: https://www.jimonlight.com/2008/11/0...russ-collapse/ ).

Your take on employees is pretty much accurate, I'm sorry to say.
Solo_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Haha yeah. Glue a bed of nails to that bad boy. lol

I think the first thing I would do is remove the ladder. That is one place the idiots don't need to be.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Anyone who is interested in renting you RV should read this post......... So if you are one of the people who wants to tell me anything that is not based on facts, please move along and save your speech for someone else. Allow this post to be facts from someone who actually renting their RV. If you haven't, please don't pollute the post so that others who are trying to get facts can get them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other posters
How dare you tell me not to post in your thread, even though I'm going to post my opinion that I'd never rent my MH but I have no first person experience to base that on! I'm offended and now I'll post without even reading your post, that'll teach you!
HAHA, but it's not like that wasn't expected anyway.

A number of years ago a friend of mine paid for his class C by renting it out himself. The kept three sets of everything: bed linens, utensils, towels, plates, etc. When the unit came back they'd swap everything with the second set and clean the first so it was ready to go again. The third set was for them to use when the used the unit themselves.

I haven't decided whether to rent our class A yet or not. I'm not opposed to the idea, just not sure if I want to deal with it right now. If I had a class C or B it would be an easier decision, as those are not much different than driving a pickup.
WyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #51

A friend's sister and her husband live in Panama. In Central America, not Florida. They have bought an older motor home that they plan to use as an Air B&B. I believe they intend for it to be stationary. I'll be curious to see what kind of experience they have with it. She will be in town this week so I'll find out more about their plans. She is the type of person that doesn't want anybody's advice; otherwise I'd tell her about this thread.
Essgee1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #52

Originally Posted by OP Anyone who is interested in renting you RV should read this p

Weren't in interested in anyone else's opinion and had to learn the hard way. Sounds like they were all correct. Don't rent your RV. Lesson learned, but don't want to hear about it.
kenginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #53

Only to known peoples

Rented my 40’ diesel pusher out twice with big restrictions about where it could go, etc. Guy took it to his house to load up and didnt realize that little rise for his car in the gravel drive was a high side to the coach and damaged the propane fill point. That was pricey fix

Next guy was loading at his house and decided to use a cinderblock under the rear jacks to level it faster and block disintegrated and jack plunged into rocks and broke the jack and trashed all seals. Tried to say wasnt his fault gut cinderblock debris said otherwise. A very costly repair.

Now I only rent to very known and trusted peoples and my usual deal is it stays within 50 miles and I deliver and set it up and recover it too. No more problems since this new plan. Yes, monies are less but no more damage and problems make it worth it. Mostly peopel needing extra bedrooms for family reunions, race track fans, and the like.

My entire first years profits went into repairs that never should have happened. No more of that mess ever.
Gene Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #54

I think what the OP is saying is it seems irritating that some owners who have not rented seem to be making objective statements. They say "You are an idiot for renting...it WONT work"
This isn't always true, its SOMETIMES true. As shown, it can work, but you have to go in with eyes wide open. You should have a business plan. I wouldn't rent my own RV, and that's ok. I would rent an RV that I purchased for rental. It has worked, breaks, repairs, total losses and all. IT HAS WORKED AND WILL WORK. This is objective fact. Please separate your opinions and fact. To be fair, a lot of folks have said it's their opinion...thanks for being open to others and their desire to rent. Others seem close minded...
jsm1847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #55

Renting your RV

In October 2017, I rented a Thor 37 foot motor home to accompany some friends from North Texas (DFW area) on a trip to Pensacola, FL for a week. The rental cost me $300 per day plus a $500 security deposit. I had never driven a motor home before but, for about four months before the trip, I watched a bunch of videos on line about everything (RV plumbing, Driving [tail swing and off tracking], parking (3-in-one method for backing into a parking space), etc. In short, I learned everything I could about a motor home I could before renting the unit. Soon after departing, while driving north on I-35W, I started hearing a "banging" sound from above my head. We continued the trip and had no further problems until the first campground in Louisiana. When hooking up the City Water, my traveling companions discovered that the rental people had left the water valve in the "Fill Tank" position and that was the reason my wife wasn't getting any water through the kitchen faucet. Switching the water valve solved that problem. All was well until, on the three lane highway going through the Mobile, Alabama Tunnel (I was in the center lane), I ran over what looked like a wooden pallet which I was unable to avoid. It turned out that the pallet bent the entry steps (although the still worked). When we returned the coach to the rental place, we had prepared a list of things did not work and gave it to the rental site.

They surmised that we must have "hit something" which caused the damage to the driver's side slide-out and topper and we acknowledged the damage to the entry steps and forfeited the security deposit. The rental week cost us over $3,000 plus fuel and camping fees.

Since then, we have bought our own Class A motor home and intend to retire and go full time. Would we rent out our Class A? Only if it we with a rental agency who, as part of the contract, agreed to cover repairs required after a renter return of our unit.
Spadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #56
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Posts have been edited/removed for violating our number 1 rule: Be Courteous!

Please post within our Community Rules.

Thank you,
Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, door, doors, outdoor, rvs