Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 AM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kate is great at giving hand signals, now if I could figure out what all of them mean I'll back it in. Jim

2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
I typically stop, get out, make a plan, then back in. The DW I use to watch my corners and in the past, position of wheels on leveler blocks. She has one command, Fingers up, palm facing me. This gives me the stop command, I have either "arrived" or I need to get out and reconfig. This has worked for me in my fifth wheels parking in some pretty tight spaces. I find backing the motorhome, even with a trailer is so much easier, as the cameras give me a better look.

2000 Monaco Windsor 40 PBSS
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #17
I back myself in. Thats what mirrors are for. Always obey this one rule...When in doubt get out and look.

When I started driving over the road I got some good advice from my dad. Practice practice practice. If you cant drive it backwards you have no business driving it forward.

Now that what I just said makes me sound like a know it all jackass I will say that I rarely hit it right on the first time.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I need is a Wife.. or at least a traveling companion.

There is a set of standardized hand signals that are so intuitive that the first time I encountered someone using them I knew just what he wanted. I think the FMCA has a link to a video of them somewhere but I will attempt to describe.

Hands up, (Fingers pointing up) palms facing away from signlar "Pushing" motion: Move away from me. (Normally pull forward)
Palms toward signal giver "Come hither" motion.. Come hither, Move towards me (normally back up)

Sweepign to the right or left.. Move to the right or left (See note)

Arms crossed like a Rail Road Crossing sign. STOP!

NOTE: I have had to reverse the right/left for someone backing a trailer because.. Well if you back a trailer you knwo.. One of us has to think backwards.. I have that ability.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #19
Smile Blaming Women no longer!

We have solved the problem of parking, since men don't take direction easily & women do , I jump in the drivers seat to park and he directs me ,problem solved !
first newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also use the "I don't see ya, I stop until our eyes meet again." Then proceed. Even when the guy next door stops by and starts telling us what to do, Very irritating. Haven't had it happen at a CG yet but will follow our way of doing it. So far nothings been hit or ran over. 3 years and last but not least, keep your kids at your Camp site until we get backed in.
Thanks, Tim
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #21
Country Coach Owners Club
We use Arm Signals.

No hand signals.

Has worked great for 12+ years.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
I combine what two other posters do. It has worked wonderfully for us, we have never fought and never once damaged any MH we have had.

We both walk the site, make a plan that includes where the coach should potentially back up. We discuss any potential problems and if there is something of concern we discuss it who is responsible to protect the coach from that danger. Generally the SO protects the back and I protect the front.

When we do back in we use the backup camera sound and voice commands. Since she is the "marshaller" she is in control and I respond to her commands, two way communication is not necessary and in fact undesirable. If I disagree I STOP, get out and we talk about it (done this about 3 times in 4 years). Works great for us, no fights, no damage and 99% of the time we get the coach in the exact spot on the first try.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club

We have walkie-talkies, and I don't talk -- I just put my unit in the cup holder and listen. If I am not sure of something, I just stop and wait for clarification. With all my mirrors, my back-up camera, and her verbal instructions, I seem to be able put it where it belongs with little fuss.

And if something were to happen, I would not be to blame!
Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #24
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Hey, I'm thinking someone could make money by putting some toy train tracks on the edge and on the roof of the RV. Then, the little toy locomotive pulls a flat bed with a camera mounted on it. The train just goes around and around the top perimeter of the RV while we try to park, beaming all the video to the in dash LCD display, of course.

It makes us want to say, ummmm!

DW just says

Wait, wait wife. I got better ... How about one of those copter thingys that they sell nowadays. It would be designed to automatically fly somewhere behind the RV as we park, beaming 3D video to one of those new Oculus Rift game sets. That is the ultimate parking assistant.

... and the DW just hands me another drink. I needed that!
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
DW gives good hand signals, just haven't figured out what the raised middle finger means?
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Your number one! You lucky guy!

Dave Letterman's replacement?
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #26
I would suggest any communication break down with the DW didn't just start the first time you backed up the RV...Just sayin
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
May I strongly suggest any communication break down with the DW didn't just start the first time you backed up the RV...
My thoughts, exactly. And the day my hubby "blames" me for anything is the day he can do it by himself. It takes two for successful communication.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #28
Fleetwood Owners Club
I feel from reading the contiued post that one of the best marriage saving items ever invented was the Pull Thru Site! lol

Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote