Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #29

I have never understood the need for signals from someone on the ground when backing. I have mirrors to see down each side of the coach, and a back-up camera to see directly behind me. I use all those tools and back in myself. I just don't see the need for someone on the ground.

When faced with a back-in, I'll get the coach into position, then stop and get out to inspect the situation. I'll check the position of the utility connections, tables, trees, mail boxes, etc. That's also when I look up high...the one direction I can't see from the drivers seat...to see if there are any overhead obstacles to deal with. Then it's the mirrors, the camera and a slow, steady back-in to the spot.

Learning how to back up is just as important as learning how to drive forward. If you are not confident when backing your coach, practice, practice, practice!
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
My wife loves the audio option on our back up camera. She does all the talking giving me directions and I cannot respond back being in the drivers seat. She thinks it was invented by a women.
Love it very funny
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
My wife gives me hand signals, I just wish they didn't hurt so much! Just kidding. We work well together!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I use two ways radio's ,If she's not talking I'm not moving .
Old 04-06-2014, 06:23 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use the RV headsets, yes they look a little funny but they are full duplex meaning we both can talk and hear at the same time. I can position her when I can't see her and I can ask how I'm doing, something you can't do with a rear camera and for me cell phones are hard to hear on speaker mode. The headsets block out the background noise with the mic right next to your mouth.

RV Headsets - RV Headsets for Mobile Vehicle Safety
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #34

I don't hear anyone considering a new Wife! With better skills?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
We use the RV headsets, yes they look a little funny but they are full duplex meaning we both can talk and hear at the same time. I can position her when I can't see her and I can ask how I'm doing, something you can't do with a rear camera and for me cell phones are hard to hear on speaker mode. The headsets block out the background noise with the mic right next to your mouth.

RV Headsets - RV Headsets for Mobile Vehicle Safety
We tried these but there was so much interference and static we couldn't hear each other.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 AM   #36

I give the hand signals. She sits in the drivers seat. That way the coach is exactly where I want it. No complaints.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I don't hear anyone considering a new Wife! With better skills?

That would be the most expensive option!
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #38

We have a very curvy driveway that is also a grade 4 hill, about 350 feet long. In order to get our coach into our building, we have to back it up the driveway. We use talk-about walkie talkies. We have developed a simple system where she directs with simple commands without any verbal response from me. The commands are right, left, slower,stop, more right and more left, plus the word good to confirm my reaction to the direction. As the driver, I have complete trust in what she is telling me. Because of the hill and curves, the back up camera does not give me a complete look at where I need to be. We use the same whenever we have to back up. We watch many people struggle/argue with hand signals and mirrors. This works great for us.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by first newmar View Post
We have solved the problem of parking, since men don't take direction easily & women do , I jump in the drivers seat to park and he directs me ,problem solved !
Not all women take directions well either. My DP would never take directions, we solved basically the same way you did. I will take directions, so I back up and she gives me directions.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #40

Take a look at the videos at RV Driver Confidence Course 2: How Big Is Your RV's Blindspot? - betterRVing! Experience better RVing. particularly #7 if you learn those hand signals then there is never any confusion on what is expected.
I typically do not get out and walk around unless DW requests. She knows exactly what to look for and how far from the pedestal, overhead limbs, etc. we need to be.
I have cameras and mirrors also, I use them to watch her. Could I park it without her help, absolutely but it is so much less stressful when she is guiding me into a tight spot.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #41

As I said in post #4, we can park our MH very quickly. I could park it myself. As some others have said, they're good at backing, use their mirrors, backup cameras, etc. I kind of pride myself on being able to back any trailer, 5th wheel, bus, or any other type of vehicle very well. BUT, it NEVER hurts to have another set of eyes looking out for you.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #42

I drop the DW off at the camp store and go pick her up when I'm all set up.
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote