Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 12:14 AM   #1

I think I got lucky

I had one of the low end Progressive Industries surge protectors with the lights that tell if the pedestal is wired properly and I used it like always. I plugged it in first to check the wiring before I plugged the coach in.

About 10 minutes after plugging in to the pedestal and I'm back inside, I hear a hum, a buzz, a sizzle, and I smelled a faint smell of electrical smoke. I hurried back outside and turned off the pedestal breaker. The Progressive Industries model SS-50 was smoking. I checked the pedestal with my multi-meter and the neutral was open. I went back inside to see what all got fried and thankfully nothing but the power strip that my daughter's game system was plugged into was hurt. I was stressing out for a while thinking about how much it was going to cost to replace an inverter/charger, two TVs, Samsung refer, water heater, microwave, etc.
I don't know if the PI SS-50 made any difference or not but I'm glad we didn't suffer any severe damage.

So now I'm shopping for some hard-wired protection. I'm leaning toward the TRC units and I'd like to have the remote display panel. It looks like there are two choices, the model 35550 and the 40240.
Do any of you have experience with either of these units or can you comment on the differences?

Thanks

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 AM   #2

TRC.......
1 year limited warranty
Non-serviceable (throw away units)
Lack luster customer service dept.

Progressive Industries ......
LIFETIME warranty
Service..rebulidable/repairable units
Good customer service dept.

Choice is simple

Old 08-01-2016, 01:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
TRC.......
1 year limited warranty

LIFETIME warranty

Choice is simple
Could not agree more. Progressive Industries EMS HW50C or PT50C is the only way to go.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
X3 on the Progressive Industries EMS HW50C

I went without one for +6 years, I guess I was lucky. Then parked at home and the coach plugged into a 20 amps plug to keep batteries charged. Had lightening strike the power pole that services our house. We lost a TV in the kitchen and I thought that was it. Then the next month we were getting ready to leave and I could get the AC to work even on generator. I found that the EMS system was fried, ~$450 to fix.

I got lucky and found an open box special on the Progressive unit for ~$200. Installed it and on one of our first outings I found reversed polarity at one campground and low voltage at another.

I invested in a 2nd display so that I can monitor the power while plugging in and after it shows OK I switch to the inner display which on can monitor throughout the day/night.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #5

Wouldn't leave home without my Progressive Industries surge protector. It has saved me 3 times at different campgrounds.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a bit partial to the cord end units. As soon as I plug in I can see if the power terminal is correct. The up side of the hardwired protection is you can install it after the shore power/generator transfer switch and use it to monitor the generator.

Failure rate is pretty low for either hardwired or cord end but for the hardwired type know and understand how to bypass if necessary just in case it does fail.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
is the HW50C permanently installed? If so where does it go? I normally check out the pedestal with a DVM before plugging into it. Nothing elaborate, just to make sure the voltages are there and correct.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
is the HW50C permanently installed? If so where does it go? I normally check out the pedestal with a DVM before plugging into it. Nothing elaborate, just to make sure the voltages are there and correct.
Mine is mounted in my electrical bay. It does not monitor the generator. I was told by my electrician installer that it my cause problems with the transfer switch if installed before the switch. See left side of the photo. Ignore the Green circle.

Mine has saved me more than a few times from shoddy power pedestals and low voltage issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	134652  
Old 08-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Could not agree more. Progressive Industries EMS HW50C or PT50C is the only way to go.

My vote also!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
TRC.......
1 year limited warranty

LIFETIME warranty

Choice is simple

It's saved me several times.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #11

Mine is mounted after the transfer switch;so, covers pedestal and generator. Has worked fine for 5 years. Transfer switch is cheap compared to all the other electrical devices that could be damaged. I'm willing to sacrifice it to also get protection from generator malfunction. I've had some say the generator cannot cause problems, but that is not true.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
Mine is mounted after the transfer switch;so, covers pedestal and generator. Has worked fine for 5 years. Transfer switch is cheap compared to all the other electrical devices that could be damaged. I'm willing to sacrifice it to also get protection from generator malfunction. I've had some say the generator cannot cause problems, but that is not true.
I had intended to move mine from the electric bay to down stream of of the transfer switch but read the FAQ page on Progressive Industries site and they say not to install after the transfer switch.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #13

Wow. No one likes the TRC surge guard? It appears they do the same thing. Is the warranty the main reason the Progressive Industries units are preferred?

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 6CTA
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
In addition to the warranty, I made my decision on the EMSHW50C being field serviceable if it took a hit and burned a board to save the coach.