Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 12:25 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the gods are trying to tell me something!

You know when you continue on doing something and there is that nagging thought in the back of your mind.

So all the prep that was supposed to happen in prep for the great coast to coast / route 66 trip, hasn't happened. I just lost my mum and managed to spend the best part of 3 months in the UK with her before she passed.

My wife and I returned back to the USA last week and went to pick up the 2000 Winnebago Journey we bought in October but haven't driven as its still at the dealer lot, was there for winter and then we ended up over the pond. So went last Friday to have our 2 hr walk through to discover that the dealer hadn't done ANY prep. It hasn't been serviced or cleaned so we could pick it up. So it supposed to be ready on Wednesday.

The toad which is my Vanagon was supposed to have a subaru conversion done over Christmas and it's still it resfy. So I picked up a vanagon that I have owned for a few years but it has been with my friend who mans tge front office at the garage (where the conversion is supposed to be happening ) as his car was out of action (cobblers children no shoes). So had the tow brackets fitted a couple if days ago and picked it up today drive a few miles and it started to suffer from Vanagon Syndrome (or idle surge) and died on the roadside living me to call for aaa.

So now have no confidence in my toad. Then discovered that the only other car I have is not suitable to be toad.

Yet still planning on doing the trip!

Mad right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #2

No, Sir, not crazy, you have to have something to plan, and look forward to. Minor set backs, if you let them destroy , or alter your plans , that will drive you around the bend.
My condolences on the loss of your mother , three years ago I went through the same with my mother , she passed away after four months in hospice care, luckily no overseas travel involved , but away from home for an extended period.
Hope everything gets back on track soon. Safe Travels.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:38 AM   #3

Something about mad dogs and Englishmen out in the noon day sun?
Don't let "stuff" get in your way. Stuff just happens.
As I taught my kids, it's not how many times you get knocked down- it's how many times you get up that count. Press on!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just about the same amount of crazy as everyone else here.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep a stiff upper lip and persevere.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't you remember yo mama telling you there would be days like this!

Just tie a knot in the end of that rope and hold on tight!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well when Im miles from anywhere broken down and feeling totally mad can I call on you guys for help :-)
Old 07-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My suggestion is to take some prudent, precautionary actions before you start out on any extended long trip:

1. Get CoachNet Emergency Road Service plan. Around $100 per year. That will get your motorhome towed to a repair facility in case of breakdown.

2. Check out all systems for proper operation.

3. Check tire dates of manufacture. If over 5 years, replace. Inflate according to manufacturers chart.

4. Don't believe anything the dealer's salesperson says.

5. Chances are that ALL batteries should be replaced with new.

6. Have the chassis lubed, oil changed, etc.

7. Have brakes inspected.

8. Find & stop all coach body leaks.

Probably more, but others can post what I've left out.

Of those eight, four is probably the one that's most important.

Treat your new-to-you coach as if it's Unknown Territory on a map. With prudent, precautionary measures taken, you can start off with a new maintenance baseline that should lessen your anxiety., although your wallet will be lighter!

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Old 07-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Learnt no4 today when I went to the dealers to discuss the outstanding issues. Spoke with the service manager who said that the sales manager was going to pay for the items. Oh well nothing unusual there then. The batteries have been replaced, and the airbags fixed. Chassis has been serviced, but it hasnt been cleaned and the entry door still doesn't work correctly.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Type in haste, Correct at leisure!

It should say the Sales Manager is NOT going to pay for the items the Sales Guy said would be covered!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it AIN'T Written in contract, it DIDN'T happen! 😡

Forget # 4. Just do the others, then go, have fun & enjoy your coach. You'll see some sites that will amaze you. You'll make some unforgettable memories. You'll meet some fascinating people, some of whom will become friends. I hope to camp next site over from you someday!

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad