RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
OK, so got up today and started working.
Then I thought, "I wonder if that fella bought that coach?!"
Like the movie, Dirty Harry, I gots to know, I gots to know?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
OK, so got up today and started working.
Then I thought, "I wonder if that fella bought that coach?!"
Like the movie, Dirty Harry, I gots to know, I gots to know?
Been here since 8am and this coach is NICE! It is as described by the salesman. Just got done with a test drive, will update when I'm done with inspections. After lunch we get to talk to mechanics, head gasket work was done at Cummins in Tyler. Everything is checking out good so far, just one fog light out. It raining so out side inspections are slow, but no leeks.

Best part was I open a draw and found a lot of service records for the last 4 year

Will post more this afternoon​

Jen

G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks!
Glad to hear its looking good.
I must say I find it interesting how much I enjoy reading the travels of others who FINALLY found the coach they are looking for.
The suspense of getting information, then the travel to see it, then the verdict.
I, along with many here I assume, am hoping this is everything you were looking for!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #46

Been a long day looking at this coach but it has turned out to be a great day because we really feel we found the one. The weather sucked, rained all day and made out side inspections slow. But we could do a lot in the coach and we drive it for a hour when the rain let up for a bit. So here is my review of the coach and Motor Homes of Texas so far.

Got there at 8am and Brad was there to meet us, took us right over to the Mountain Aire and gave us a quick tour. He gave us the keys and said take all the time you need to look, and let him know when we want to drive it. He brought us a creeper to look under the rig and filled it with water.

We did a walk around and couldn't believe how good the exterior looked, for being 13 years old it looked fantastic. only found one 4 foot scratch on the passenger side up by the top and it as barley noticeable. Walked inside and everything was just liked the salesmen described. Everything looked great cosmetic wise, cabinets were great shape, no smells and no evidence of water leaks. It rained all day and no leaks. I guess it was good that it was raining, we got to see if it leaks.

Got a little outside inspections done before it started pouring but need to finish the roof tomorrow. Gary and I checked everything and left a 5pm. We tried really hard to find some thing wrong and everything was working. Went through our 10 page check list we use and we only found a few things.

Fog lights inop
2 lights out in coach
marker light out
110v indicator light on Hydro-hot light inop but electric hot water heat is working
chip/small crack in windshield

Told the salesmen and a hour later we were over at the shop getting thing fixed. Windshield repair tomorrow. The chip almost looks like it was already repaired but they are checking it out to be sure. The indicator light on Hydro-hot might need a new switch but they said they will take care of it.

I couldn't find any thing wrong with the engine and chassis. No active engine codes or historic codes before of after the road test. Road test went perfect, only would have been better if there was a mountain to test it on near by. Gary was driving and was happy as clam how it handled and road. I was in the back mostly listing to the engine and for wired noises.

Talked to the mechanics about stuff that was fixed and where the head gasket repair was. They first told me Cummins in Tyler fixed it like I stated on my last post but later found out it was Stewart&Stevenson in Longview, TX. Everything looked fine with the head gasket and they are getting me the repair paper work from Stewart&Stevenson. During test drive engine temps were in specs.

All appliances worked and we even ran a small load in the washer/dryer combo. A/C, heat pump, and Hyrdo-hot heat worked on elect and diesel. All the manuals are there, remotes, and maintenance records for the last 4 years. Fridge was cold(forgot my temp gage, but got one at Walmart to put in fridge tomorrow) and ice maker worked. Dach a/c and dash heat all worked.

We were with the coach for all day and couldn't find anything wrong that was anywhere close to worrisome. Going back tomorrow a 8am to talk price and I do our final checks on the roof.

Motor Homes of Texas has been fantastic to deal with. Everything they described on the phone was correct. They have fix all the small things I found already and Brad is very knowledgeable and great to deal with.

I could write forever on all the things we checked and couldn't find anything wrong but this post is getting too long already. Some of the maintenance paperwork I found showed maintenance was done on proper intervals, and some things fixed at Newman. We are super happy this the condition for a used coach and we both feel we have found the one.

Let ya know how the price negotiation goes tomorrow.

Almost a DP owner,
Jen
Old 02-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #47
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
Motor Homes of Texas has been fantastic to deal with. Everything they described on the phone was correct. They have fix all the small things I found already and Brad is very knowledgeable and great to deal with.
Told ya.
Hope your last step goes well.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #48

Sounds like it might be the one! Best of luck tomorrow!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #49

nice looking coach ... good luck
Jazgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #50

Hopefully the people you will be negotiating with aren't reading your post on how happy you are with the inspections!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
The good news is the price they are asking is a fair price for a 2004 Mountain Air to start with.
Personally, with all they have done I would just buy the thing and keep good karma with the coach.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #52

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Actually a good thing it was raining, that way you can check for leaks. Happy Shopping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #53

Well couldn't get them to budge under 77k. But I still think I'm paying a fair price for the coach in this good of condition. Everything works and drives great. Looks fantastic in side and out, and we are happy. Road ready and I don't have anything to fix when we get home. Just up grades to electronics if we want.

So after a year of disappointing trips of looking at coaches, we own a DP now and really happy it is a Newmar.

So just waiting on windshield repair this afternoon, and will leave tomorrow morning. Spending the night at Motorhomes of Texas, picking up a u haul dolly in the morning to pull the car back.

Thanks everyone for their advise and input,
Jen
Old 02-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations!
It looks like they have been great to work with and I really would have hated to see you try to hammer and Hammer on price after going to that length to address everything. It would sure put the next customer in a challenging position
Old 02-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #55

Foretravel Owners Club
Congrats are in order !!!!
I would suggest that you spend one or (better yet) two nights in the MOT "campground" after stocking the fridge and water tank,propane & topping off the fuel tank..
1st night being hooked up to power & camp, 2nd night go fully "dry camp mode".
That way you get to try out & use all the systems. and if you have more questions or you find something that needs "fix'n"....the dealer is just a short walk.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Congratulations!
It looks like they have been great to work with and I really would have hated to see you try to hammer and Hammer on price after going to that length to address everything. It would sure put the next customer in a challenging position
After seeing the condition and seeing everything works, I know yesterday that we would pay 77k but we had to try.

Motorhomes of Texas has been great and have done everything thing they said they would.