Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Has anyone asked you about what type of refrigerator you new purchase has? (RV Fridge or residential)
It has a Norcold 4 door RV fridge. I'm assuming it's the original one. Newmar told me the recall has been done when I asked about getting the build sheets. Newmar was so nice and help full when I called them.

We tracted the temps for 2 days and the fridge and freezer were in the proper ranges. We are now on LP mode and will see how the temps go. Had it on LP for a hour during test drive and was working but this drive home will tell us how well it a working in LP mode.

If it craps out beyond repair we will probably look into residential fridge vs a new expensive RV fridge.
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #72

Congrats on a great looking MH. PM sent
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
This is a text book example of how to buy a used coach. I hope that the folks on this forum that ask info & advice on buying a used MH read this post and learn. This was definitely a teachable case study IMO. Followed you everyday to see the outcome just FMI...

Congrats!

I agree. Would this qualify as a Sticky or part of one? Of course, then we wouldn't have the opportunity to give our "sage" advice and live vicariously through someone else's romance with a new MH.

Congrats to the new owner of the '04 MA DP.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
Heading home, been on the road for a hour and all is going great. I will make a full review of our buying experience when we get home.
Hope to meet others out there soon living their dream too.

Jen

Attachment 152672

Beautiful RV! Congratulations! We bought a 2003 Dutch Star in 2014, and have had ZERO issues. Some maintenance issues will come up, but you've got a great RV.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #75

Got home 2 hours ago and the trip home was fantastic. Not one thing went wrong or any mechanical issues. Gary hogged up all the driving, he said it was just so easy to drive. That's fine with me since I navigate much better and I was still listing to the engine and watching gages.

We were going to drive till dark and chill for the night but Gary was not tired at all and we missed our dog. She climbed right in when we got home and didn't want to get out.

Lots to do tomorrow, she is already riddled with bugs on the front and I actually found some thing to fix, the remote for the tv needs a battery, lol.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170222_214231701.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	152745
Old 02-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #76

Enjoy! And if you could tie a swifter to pup, the bugs could be gone in no time...

Really glad this worked out for you, and you both sound like you understand that it's not 'if' it's 'when' you'll have opportunities of for the unexpected 'stuf' (Yes a misspell, but can't use the other 4 letter word with a starting 's' and ending 't'!) that will popup along the way.

Keep a smile on, and credit available on the card - and set off soon!
Smooth sailing, and stay safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Lots of good advice.

The only other thing you might want to verify is if it's a CAPS injection motor. A 2004 model is probably an HPCR injection system, but a 2004 model could have been built as early as Aug 2003. Cummins quit building CAPS motors in early 2003 so there is a slight possibility.

CAPS motors are known to be somewhat problematic, and expensive to repair. With that said, thousands are out on the road and have never had a problem.

On the other hand, there are folks who weren't so lucky.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/repe...lp-289659.html

Maybe not a deal breaker. Just be aware.
What do I need to do to find out if our 2003 Monaco Windsor with the ISL 370 has the CAPS motor?

Irishguy
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Congratulations Jen! I am sure you will love your 2004 Mountain Aire as much as we love ours. Looking forward to some interior pictures. Great coach!
Yap, love it already. Gary had so much fun driving it home. We just talked about all the trips we are going to make this year and some of the modifications to electronics we need to make. And most of all getting rid of the boat anchor tv in the bedroom, lol.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Enjoy! And if you could tie a swifter to pup, the bugs could be gone in no time...

Really glad this worked out for you, and you both sound like you understand that it's not 'if' it's 'when' you'll have opportunities of for the unexpected 'stuf' (Yes a misspell, but can't use the other 4 letter word with a starting 's' and ending 't'!) that will popup along the way.

Keep a smile on, and credit available on the card - and set off soon!
Smooth sailing, and stay safe,
Smitty
We were half way home, just got into southern Oklahoma and man it was like a bug invasion from another planet was happening. It was all over the windshield and we had to pull into the next fuel station to scrub it off to see again.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may already know this but one of the best things for cleaning bugs off the front is a wet dryer sheet. They just clean them off so easily. I generally go thru about three of them doing the front of the coach. A bucket of warm water, dip the sheets, wipe off the bugs. Then I rinse the residue from the dryer sheets with water.

Your dog is going to love traveling with you. One of the reasons we have an RV is so we can take our pups with us.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
You may already know this but one of the best things for cleaning bugs off the front is a wet dryer sheet. They just clean them off so easily. I generally go thru about three of them doing the front of the coach. A bucket of warm water, dip the sheets, wipe off the bugs. Then I rinse the residue from the dryer sheets with water.

Your dog is going to love traveling with you. One of the reasons we have an RV is so we can take our pups with us.
I did not know about dryer sheets for getting bugs off. Thanks will try it out.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #82

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
I did not know about dryer sheets for getting bugs off. Thanks will try it out.
Nor I,,
Dryer sheets must be like Bacon... What can it NOT do??
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #83

The extra stuff that was in the RV

Wow, what a day yesterday. We cleaned and rearranged stuff all day so that the RV would fit in the driveway. Almost touch the road with the front while backing it in, we have a dip at the front of the drive way and will be looking in to making it not so low there. Had to move a stuff in both garages to park vehicles and still be able to get them out and not hit the coach. Then cleaning all the bugs off and the dryer sheets worked great, thanks smlranger for the tip. We took the stuff that came with it out of the belly and we got some cool stuff that I just didn't realize was in there when we were doing all our inspections.

What we found:

Road master Falcon tow bar but our cant be towed 4-dow, so may sell this and put money towards a tow dolly.

4 color matched tire covers, RV sun shades for the windshield, drivers window, door window, wiper blade covers, and mirror covers. We put them on but it was kind of a pain, but cool that it came with the RV.

Extra engine belts, and some filters. This made me really happy, who every owned it before thinks like I do with being prepared.

Talking about who ever owned it before, we found out some info before we left. We were putting on the temp tag and the old temp tag expired Sept 2016. Why did this have a temp tag and not a dealer tag like the other ones for sale, but didn't think much about it. Went in and talked to the lady that welcomes you into the Motorhomes of Texas owners club and she gave us a goody bag with a magazine, cups, t-shirt. I was checking out the magazine and it showed people with there coaches who have bought in the last 6 months. So there was a picture of a Mountain Aire just like we bought and the owners names. But then I realized that is the one we just bought and that name was on all the keys and service paperwork. So I had to ask just because I was interested.

So they told me. The owner that had this since 2012 put it with them for consignment, he did not trade it for anything just needed out of the owning a RV world. It sold and some one bought it in July 2016. Shortly after that it overheated and they bang it back to MOT. Was in the shop for 3 months fixing the head gasket/overheating problem and the new owners were mad that the bill was pushing 10k. In the end MOT bought the coach back because the owners thought they had a problematic rig and during this time the wife got sick. So they never even registered it in their name. I do not know if they lost money as this was a consignment and as is warranty, but I cant see MOT giving them the purchase price they paid.

When MOT bought it, they put even more money in some repairs and put it on the lot. MOT doesn't go through consignment rigs and fix stuff if the seller is not paying them to do so. But rigs MOT trades on and owns goes through the shop and all repairs made so that at the time of sale everything is in working order.

So who ever had it before them took fantastic care of the coach. The people who bought it before me and only owned it for a few month might just have had some bad luck with a used coach. But that means I was kind of lucky and they fixed all the stuff before we found it. The salesmen never lied to me, I just didn't ask anything along that line of the old owners. Sorry so long but it was just so weird seeing the coach we just bought in their owners group magazine sold just a few months ago, so I thought I would share that info. It doesn't worry me bout our purchase, everything was working when I signed the line and I know stuff is going to break some day. And like Smitty77 said, I'm going to need a credit card just for the DP for the 'stuf' that will go wrong, lol.

Well again thanks to everyone who took their time to post info and suggestions for us on our adventure of buying this coach. Going to post in the specific forum places for all the upcoming advice we are going to need. First on the list is purchasing a TPMS, research what tow dolly to get, buy a dog ramp for Husker (she had knee surgery 5 weeks ago and is 9 years old so stairs are hard for her) and enjoy the view out that big windshield.

Happy new to us Mountain Aire owners,
Jen & Gary

P.S. I just realized I have a coach to go to the IRV2 really in Sept, going to check out the dates and see if Army crap is in the way. Wow, I just might get to meet others out there sooner then I though
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170223_094319665.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	152853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170223_141655792.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	152854  

Name:	IMG_20170223_141705399.jpg