Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

I thought I was an experienced RV'er!

I've taken my new to me HR 34 wds out 2 times since I bought it 2 weeks ago. In the past I've owned a 1978 Champion Class A, a Tioga Class C for about a minute, a 1989 34' Pace Arrow complete with delamination in all it's glory.

I found my HR creampuff after a year search. 58k miles, one owner with records documenting every gas fill up and even the time he left the driveway along with gas mileage then it expands from there. I feel like I know this coach better than my wife after reading all the files.
So, the tires are new, so are the 4 six volts, it has a 2k watt inverter. Lesson number one........you can't leave the inverter on all day and night, lol, yep, dead batteries. I couldn't believe the batteries were so low after just a day in the desert!

Lesson 2......do not tap or smack those little red caps on the front axle just to make sure they're secure. I tapped on in a campground and it cracked faster than Joan Rivers face at a comedy show! I had oil dripping and no replacement or JB Quick. I was able to make it home in an hour and still had plenty of oil in the reservior. My shop says those see thru covers are now metal.......brilliant idea!

Lesson 3.......I love love love the diesel and going thru my checklist. Working with fire apparatus has prepared me for the zen dance of diesel maintenance. I love the warm up, the jake brake and the deafening sound of silence as we motor down the road. This thing is whisper quiet.

Odds and ends..........I think 60k is long enough for the original Bilsteins, I went with them due to mixed reviews from other owners, I can change to Koni's if I'm not happy, they're not that expensive. The coach does wander a bit, not like a P-30 under the Pace Arrow but enough I want to correct it. I had my mech tighten the gearbox a tad, not alot of help, he's gonna drive it and see if it's me or the coach. I'm changing both tv's to LED's even the switchbox was outdated. The DW and I are fighting , more like bantering about me wanting to replace the table with a dinette, I have to concede, I'm not winning this one, but it's fun teasing her.

It came with a real Tempure-pedic and we added the 3 inch topper on sale at Sams Club for $59.00 last week. Heavenly!
I really want to update the dated wall light fixtures with scones and spot lights. I want to put led rope lights on a dimmer down the walls. Overall, very happy with the rig. My brother that sold Motorhomes at Mike Thompsons back in the 90's said he saw nothing be be afraid of on this coach, he said it was a great find, I agree. I poured 30 yards of 6' thick concrete with rebar at my house for storage, gonna wait 30 days to park this on it, two more weeks!

kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #2

Congrats on the new to you coach. Happy trails.

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #3

6' thick concrete? What are you gonna park on it...the Queen Mary??LOL
Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Keith, it sounds like you found the crown jewel! Congrats!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
6' thick concrete? What are you gonna park on it...the Queen Mary??LOL
Overkill is a GOOD thing when it comes to concrete pads...
Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stisdal View Post
X-2! Just bought a new lot and pad in central FL. All pads in this complex are poured six inch with re bar! Some are tens years of age and do show signs of cracking. FWIW, I continue to have very good luck with pavers installed correctly.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stisdal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
X-2! Just bought a new lot and pad in central FL. All pads in this complex are poured six inch with re bar! Some are tens years of age and do show signs of cracking. FWIW, I continue to have very good luck with pavers installed correctly.
The joke is that he said 6 FEET, not 6 inches.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
I've taken my new to me HR 34 wds out 2 times since I bought it 2 weeks ago. In the past I've owned a 1978 Champion Class A, a Tioga Class C for about a minute, a 1989 34' Pace Arrow complete with delamination in all it's glory.

I found my HR creampuff after a year search. 58k miles, one owner with records documenting every gas fill up and even the time he left the driveway along with gas mileage then it expands from there. I feel like I know this coach better than my wife after reading all the files.
So, the tires are new, so are the 4 six volts, it has a 2k watt inverter. Lesson number one........you can't leave the inverter on all day and night, lol, yep, dead batteries. I couldn't believe the batteries were so low after just a day in the desert!

Lesson 2......do not tap or smack those little red caps on the front axle just to make sure they're secure. I tapped on in a campground and it cracked faster than Joan Rivers face at a comedy show! I had oil dripping and no replacement or JB Quick. I was able to make it home in an hour and still had plenty of oil in the reservior. My shop says those see thru covers are now metal.......brilliant idea!

Lesson 3.......I love love love the diesel and going thru my checklist. Working with fire apparatus has prepared me for the zen dance of diesel maintenance. I love the warm up, the jake brake and the deafening sound of silence as we motor down the road. This thing is whisper quiet.

Odds and ends..........I think 60k is long enough for the original Bilsteins, I went with them due to mixed reviews from other owners, I can change to Koni's if I'm not happy, they're not that expensive. The coach does wander a bit, not like a P-30 under the Pace Arrow but enough I want to correct it. I had my mech tighten the gearbox a tad, not alot of help, he's gonna drive it and see if it's me or the coach. I'm changing both tv's to LED's even the switchbox was outdated. The DW and I are fighting , more like bantering about me wanting to replace the table with a dinette, I have to concede, I'm not winning this one, but it's fun teasing her.

It came with a real Tempure-pedic and we added the 3 inch topper on sale at Sams Club for $59.00 last week. Heavenly!
I really want to update the dated wall light fixtures with scones and spot lights. I want to put led rope lights on a dimmer down the walls. Overall, very happy with the rig. My brother that sold Motorhomes at Mike Thompsons back in the 90's said he saw nothing be be afraid of on this coach, he said it was a great find, I agree. I poured 30 yards of 6' thick concrete with rebar at my house for storage, gonna wait 30 days to park this on it, two more weeks!
Congrats!! Now where are the pics???

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #9

Congrats your new to you MH. Sounds great and hope you have many years of wonderful travels.

Happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
The joke is that he said 6 FEET, not 6 inches.
Yikes! That is one heck of a pad.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #11

I put some pics up someplace, here are a couple more. and yes, it was 6"'s not feet. You retired guys have too much time on your hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holiramb.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	60652   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140222_134535.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	60653  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hrambl.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	60654  
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
, Nice find, Love the exterior colors, Wow a really nice looking MH, any interior shots?
enjoy her.
Tim,
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #13

Sweet rig.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #14

I'll take some interior when it comes home next week. I'm getting new tv's, horn fixed the shocks I bought installed and some other honey do's.