Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
We have all you want next to our house. We had the 50 amp. installed so we can use the coach as an extra space when we get alot of company...dad and the dog and I head to the coach and give the kids and grandkids the house. We have a 50 foot cement pad that extends from our driveway. We started with crush and run and gravel, but this is so much cleaner and better for the coach to be on cement. It's extra thick to support the 44 thousand pound Tour. Since it is next to the house the water supply is there also on the outside faucet. A couple of years ago we had the sewage from the downstairs bath ( which is conviently on the same side as the coach pad) extended so we can use it to dump tanks if needed. We bought a maserator (sp?) for that purpose. We used it mostly when returning from VT football games where we would tailgate for the weekend. It is nice to have the full hook up option for many reasons. Good luck. I think there may still be a picture of our set up on the picture site. We had a Vectra then so it's a different coach.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
I just checked and the photos are there. Just go the members photos and look at glenda1908. That was our 04 Vectra. We had an 08 Vectra and just traded it for the 2013 Tour. It's 43' and just fits behind the gates.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #59

Carolina Campers
Thanks for sharing your pic's. They look great.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #60

Carolina Campers
Well, I finally had the 50 amp box installed. My Electrition charged $205 for everything. It was nice to be able to hook up the RV to the shore power here at home. Now when it is cold I simply turn on the electric heater (it has a house type heater in the basement). I can prepare for a trip with out running the generator just to keep the refrigerator cold or have the lights on, etc. Also, since it is now just an extension of my home, I can use it my office and don't have to be concerned about what is going on around the house when I have a meeting, or need to spread out my work without being bothered. Boy, this was a good idea. No storage rental, no need to winterize the coach, etc. this will pay for itself in just one season.

Thanks to all that provided input and helpful technical advice.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #61

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a spigot out the side of the house that I use. I also wired in a 30 amp circuit that is plenty to run two 1500 watt heaters, a 100 watt light bulb the storage bay freezer and the Dometic refer all winter with no trouble. Don't need to run the heat pumps to cool it off in the summer either as it's under some huge fir trees. No sewer connection and I've only needed one once as I dump before I leave the campground or at a local rest area. Here in WA state some of the rest areas have dump stations at no charge.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #62

Last three MH have all been plugged into just 30 amp. At times two MH's and have never tripped the breaker. Unless you are going to live in it,30 will suffice.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Last three MH have all been plugged into just 30 amp. At times two MH's and have never tripped the breaker. Unless you are going to live in it,30 will suffice.

We considered doing just the 30 amp. but since we were going to have service installed we just went with the 50 amp. Since we sometimes do "live" in it in our driveway due to having a house full of company, we are glad we did install 50 amp. It gets pretty hot and humid here in VA in the summer so we can use the air with no fear of an over load. Having the dump site at the house available is also a plus for being able to empty tanks if we have been using it while parked next to the house, and the water hook up was already on the side of the house anyway.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Well, I finally had the 50 amp box installed. My Electrition charged $205 for everything. It was nice to be able to hook up the RV to the shore power here at home. Now when it is cold I simply turn on the electric heater (it has a house type heater in the basement). I can prepare for a trip with out running the generator just to keep the refrigerator cold or have the lights on, etc. Also, since it is now just an extension of my home, I can use it my office and don't have to be concerned about what is going on around the house when I have a meeting, or need to spread out my work without being bothered. Boy, this was a good idea. No storage rental, no need to winterize the coach, etc. this will pay for itself in just one season.

Thanks to all that provided input and helpful technical advice.

Ted
Glad to hear you now have everything for "camping" next to your house. That sounds like a pretty fair price too. I think we paid that much 8 years ago for the 50amp set up. Now you can have your "man cave" with all the comforts of home.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
All good ideas, just make sure you electrician knows how to wire for a RV plug, I'm sure this will be repeated by future posters to your question. It's 50 Amps 110V, not 50 Amps 240V. A very important distinction. You didn't indicate what part of the world your in, so if you live in an area with a winter climate make sure your plumber uses a Frost Free Hose bib with Anti-Syphon. If you live in the South just Anti-Syphon is fine.
Hope this helps,
Stewart

It is infact 50 amps 240 volts.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A concrete pad would be nice, if you go that route, remember you may be parking 10 tons or more, not just a 2 ton car. Go with 5" of concrete, have them add fibers for reinforcement, and make sure it is on a compacted base. If you stay with gravel do NOT get round stone, it will be like parking on marbles, get a compactable crushed stone material.

A possible reason for the 50 amp 110 vs 220 volt confusion is that the pedestal is wired for 220 volts, but your generator normally provides just 110 volts while powering up your whole rig. I assumed the MH generator was 220 volts like my home generator until I got corrected by others and checked my generator manual.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
I found that also, now why the hell wouldnt they just put a generator that produces 240 volts.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
A possible reason for the 50 amp 110 vs 220 volt confusion is that the pedestal is wired for 220 volts, but your generator normally provides just 110 volts while powering up your whole rig. I assumed the MH generator was 220 volts like my home generator until I got corrected by others and checked my generator manual.
Depends on the generator. Our Onan is true 50 amp @ 240V.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #69

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Depends on the generator. Our Onan is true 50 amp @ 240V.
But that is split by the circuity in the MH into two 120 volts, just like plugging into a 50 amp RV service. If it was wired as try 240 volts it would blow out everything in the MH.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #70

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Only thing different is one more wire, the breaker and a less expensive outlet, all about a couple dollars different in the end, labor will be same, do 50 period.

Better to add additional 120 outlet on seperate circuit while at it, handy to have!

Sewer may be issue, may need permit, city/county may have issue.
Part of the problem is that there may not be room in the stick house breaker box for two 50 amp breakers. That was my problem although since we have a gas stove and also wired for electric stove I could pull that breaker and use that slot.