Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #71

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
I installed a sewer hookup/dump station in my driveway but I have a private cesspool and don't use a city sewer system. It wasn't very difficult, just had to run a couple of PVC pipes into the top of the tank and have them run up to the pavement of my driveway. I put some caps on them for when they are not in use. It is a bit further away than I really wanted it and I have to use an extension hose to reach but it works good. I use some old rain gutters to keep the hose in place when I have it hooked up. Also, I learned that it's important to protect the hose from the sun if you leave it connected. The CA sun here can burn holes in the extension hose pretty quickly. I'm thinking about putting in power too but I'm just plugging into the house right now.
Looks like you need to turn the 30 amp plug over to relieve the strain on the cord.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But that is split by the circuity in the MH into two 120 volts, just like plugging into a 50 amp RV service. If it was wired as try 240 volts it would blow out everything in the MH.
The pedestal is 240V between the hot leads as well. Or should be. I don't understand the distinction you're trying to make.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver

The pedestal is 240V between the hot leads as well. Or should be. I don't understand the distinction you're trying to make.
The 120 vs 240 issue is very confusing to owners who don't have any experience in standard household electric service. A typical 50 amp outlet is very straight forward in how it's to be wired and an electrician who wired a hot leg to either the neutral or ground lug is totally incompetent. The problem is usually with a 30 amp outlet. This type outlet can be wired more than one way and if an electrician wires it up as some welding outfits require, with no neutral and two 120 vac legs then the recipe for disaster is in place.

When plugging into an unknown shore connection you should use a tester first or have a quality EMS as the first devise in line.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Agreed. The problem is that the 30 amp/120V RV outlet has three pins that are arranged almost identically to the old style 220V dryer or welder outlet that has 2 hots and a ground (no neutral). The 50 amp/240V RV outlet is arranged the same as the more modern four pin 240V dryer outlet, so there's usually no problem.

I'm still not sure what point Mr_D was trying to make, since it's been very clear in this whole thread that we're talking about a 50 amp outlet.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #75

Quote:
Part of the problem is that there may not be room in the stick house breaker box for two 50 amp breakers. That was my problem although since we have a gas stove and also wired for electric stove I could pull that breaker and use that slot.
That breaker would work just fine it is a split 50 so each leg is actually 30 amps the position on plug is how it is two 110s and not 240. Do not plug into a dryer plug it will be very expensive
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke

That breaker would work just fine it is a split 50 so each leg is actually 30 amps the position on plug is how it is two 110s and not 240. Do not plug into a dryer plug it will be very expensive
The breaker for an electric range takes up the same space in a breaker box as a 50amp double pole breaker as used for 50amp RV service. The range breaker could actually be 50amp but more likely 40amp. The 50 amp double pole breaker provides 50 amp 120vac on each of two hot legs for a total of 100 amps when used in an RV with all 120vac breakers. This guy does a good job of explaining:

http://www.myrv.us/electric/
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #77

Carolina Campers
Steve,

Your link was very helpful. It helped me to feel comfortable that my election did it correctly. Before plugging my rig into it, I checked each leg and ground combination to be sure he had it correct.

Thanks again,
Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
If you are in California you may need to pay "Capacity Fees' in order to make another connection to the sewer. Good advise above, call your sewer company before connecting. Enforcement actions by the sewer district can be expensive.
Holy chit your kidding.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #79

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Put one in at our new house stone pad, well water to wash and city water to fill the tank, sewer hooked up to the old sepitc system as the house is now on city sewer and a power panel 20/30/50amp. new trailer be here next week.

here is a link to get a panel: 50, 30, 20 amp Surface Mount RV Power Outlet Box - RV Park Supplies
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #80

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Looks like you need to turn the 30 amp plug over to relieve the strain on the cord.
That is not possible. The adapter to convert the 30 amp plug to the standard house amp will only go on one way.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
That is not possible. The adapter to convert the 30 amp plug to the standard house amp will only go on one way.
I think he meant to open up the box and reverse the outlet. Not turn the cord over.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #82

Power hookup has been discussed in many threads, it is simple to provide the electrical hookup, I suggest you get a standard RV pedistal/wall mount box with 50A, 30A and 20A outlets. You may need to install a sub panel next to your existing main panel if you do not have space on your main panel for two ganged 50A breakers. Any competent electrician or someone who knows local codes and is handy should be able to do the right setup. I did mine and it works fine.

For sewer, the options become markedly increased if you use a macerator. I have dumped in many sewer cleanout inlets with my macerator at places I have visited. The macerator will pump more than 100ft and 10 ft elevation through a 3/4 in hose. I have a gravity sewer feed at my home because it was easy to connect to my septic tank.

Good luck I hope my input is helpful.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #83

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I think he meant to open up the box and reverse the outlet. Not turn the cord over.
Oh, yea, you're right, haha, how lame of me. Anyhow, it seems to stay in the plug ok, could the strain really damage the plug or socket? I really didn't think of that.

The dump station works well though. It took some digging to get it hooked into my septic tank but I was really happy with the way it came out.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #84

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another option...

Quote:
Part of the problem is that there may not be room in the stick house breaker box for two 50 amp breakers. That was my problem although since we have a gas stove and also wired for electric stove I could pull that breaker and use that slot.
Half size (skinny breakers) are available. However, in your case ditching the unneeded range breaker is the obvious answer.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote