Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #1

I want a new rig!

We are looking for the perfect class A for full-timing. We are planning to retire in 2 years and have decided that we would like to hit the road before we settle down. We are planning for 10 years and are very excited. We are searching for a class A that feels like home. we have fallen in love with the floor plan of the new Thor Challenger 37KT. We really like the separation of the rooms, creating separate "zones" for those times when we need our own space. the problem...we can't find that floor plan in anything larger and are really hoping for a 40'. We also like the floor plan of the Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8389. In your search, did anyone come across any others with similar/same floor plans? good/bad points about either of these? We have budgeted no more than $85-100K so this restricts our choices as well.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot....but felt like a group of people fresh off the hunt was a good starting place!

Hope we get as lucky as everyone here!!!!!
2sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The best advice I got and I will give you is choose the floor plan the DW likes best. The guys lives are easier when we do that.

At that budget your will be looking at gas coaches, or mid sized DP a few years old (2000 to 2005 I would think) The internet is your friend. Just search for motor homes for sale.

If you go used, be sure to have the coach checked over by a qualified mechanic your trust.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Medico. I have spent a lot of hours on the internet thus far and am starting to get serious. We will have no problem increasing our budget a bit for the "perfect" MH....I know its out there...
2sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
the first mh we got was a 98 bounder gas 36'? paid 12000.00 that was 5 years ago. we just got a safari 40' dp with 89000 on it all the extras in the coach and yes i fixed a few items in it but we paid 23000.00 for it and it took us about a year to come across the deal. so i guess if i was you i would start looking hard now and that good deal will come your way at the right time when your ready to hit the road. best of luck.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I can say that my coach is basically the same lay out. I have the 2011 Itasca Sunova 37L. I LOVE the layout !! We have tons of friends with diesel pushers that want the floor plan. Everyone says it feels like being in an apartment not a motorhome. We have had 5 people and 2 Great Danes for 3 days. Plenty of room.
Nice that someone can be sleeping in the living room. You can close the French doors and use the rest of the coach. You will love the mid entry door.
I love ours so much our friends purchased the same model ! Lol.
Oh and the fireplace is a must have !!! From cool weather to a rainy day it's perfect.

Janet Watson & the Great Danes
Sunova37L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunseekers View Post
We are looking for the perfect class A for full-timing. We are planning to retire in 2 years and have decided that we would like to hit the road before we settle down. We are planning for 10 years and are very excited. We are searching for a class A that feels like home. we have fallen in love with the floor plan of the new Thor Challenger 37KT. We really like the separation of the rooms, creating separate "zones" for those times when we need our own space. the problem...we can't find that floor plan in anything larger and are really hoping for a 40'. We also like the floor plan of the Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8389. In your search, did anyone come across any others with similar/same floor plans? good/bad points about either of these? We have budgeted no more than $85-100K so this restricts our choices as well.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot....but felt like a group of people fresh off the hunt was a good starting place!

Hope we get as lucky as everyone here!!!!!
Look at a Monaco product 40DST they are a 40', three slide, bath and a half. We left our 2100sq. ft. home and have been full timing since June in a 2005 Monaco Diplomat 40 DST w/400hp Cummins & tub. They have made these since 2002 and now the model has changed to DFT which is a full wall slide, I think since 2007 to current. You can search Monaco floor plans.
1948boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to rv.org pay what they are asking, read all the material, pick a few coaches that will meet your needs, and then go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for check the right boxes and it will send you updates daily.
Note deals that sound too good to be true are more than likely scams. Be prepared to do some traveling to find the coach you want and don't be afraid to walk away from a deal.
Good Luck Happy hunting
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We knew we wanted a coach that somebody else had driven for a few years in order to de-bug it for us (thank you very much). So we spent a lot of campground time walking around and "interviewing" fellow RVers about the reasons they chose they rig that they did, and what they would change about that decision, if they could. It was a social encounter. RV'ers love to talk and share and talk and give tours and talk. In fact, you may find somebody who is thinking of selling their's in a year or two, and that may queue up your decision. I guess we thought campgrounds could be a shopping experieince! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #9

My choice would be....Fleetwood Bounder 35K. When traveling to Gulf Coast this fall..stopped at Camping World in Foley, Al. and fell in love. The layout is perfect with the angled wall with tv and fireplace with half bath behind wall. Also full bath off bedroom. Loved the exterior color also.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Looking at that floor plan, it looks like with slides closed in for travel, you wouldn't be able to access the bathroom.

As someone else mentioned, whatever you get, make sure the DW is in full compliance!!
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Looking at that floor plan, it looks like with slides closed in for travel, you wouldn't be able to access the bathroom.

As someone else mentioned, whatever you get, make sure the DW is in full compliance!!
If you are referring to the Bounder...the mid-ship half bath is completely accessible with the slides in.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My suggestion would be to go to every RV show that you can. Talk to other RVers at the show, not the dealers. Leave your check book at home for now. Keep a list of makes and models you like. Do your own research on them. For myself I would not pay anyone for research done. I do my own. Once you have several that are just holding your attention more than the rest then go to a dealers lot and really walk thru them again. Take them out for a run, see how they ride. Ask on here if you have any other questions.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #13

Have you given any thought to a clean used diesel pusher. There are many available in all price ranges. May make a better fulltime rig.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #14

We found what we wanted by going to RV lots, RV shows, viewing rigs while strolling thru campgrounds, and online at dealer and manufacturer sites. We viewed, inspected, and drove a bunch of them. We started looking at 42 footers, and changed our goal from way too big to a lot less.

After 3 years, we found the perfect rig for us! And it is only 33 feet long with 2 short slides. And it ends up having more storage space than we needed. We over-estimated!

What we dont have, we dont need. And we are full-timers. And it is underweight!

Patience paid off for us.
Good luck to you!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote