Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #1

I77 VA into NC question

Hello,
New member here. I have a new to me 2010 Bounder Classic 35S Class A with the Ford engine/chassis and will be traveling from WV to NC via I77. I have driven this road at least 50 times by car and a couple of times pulling a small camper.

My question is what speed and what gear is recommended at the top the 7 or so mile descent down the mountain into NC?

FYI--I put new tires on the rv and had a good mechanic go over the brakes/fluids with changes made as necessary.

I have driven a 31' Class C about 10,000 miles and have put 1500 miles on my new rv but am somewhat apprehensive about this stretch of the road.

Your thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The goal is to not use your service brakes for descent. You want them for an emergency stop. A 6 speed if i recall, i haven't driven a set like yours. With that said start down at 45 mph in 4th, if it speeds up use brakes to slow to a speed that will allow a down shift to 3rd and so on. Perhaps you already know what gear hold back better?

No doubt someone with experience in your MH will be along to give you better ideas. That stretch of road is very beautiful at night.

Welcome to IRV2!

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #3

We have had our coach (first RV) for just over a year now. Did up and down from Fancey Gap last year pulling out jeep in our Tiffin gasser, in both directions and it really was no big deal just using tow / haul and NOT using cruse control.

You'll be fine!

Tackling the Rockies this summer, so I'm expecting some real slow going there, but it's just about patience and not pushing it.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you get the start of the decent activate the Tow/Haul feature. At the top of the hill brake firmly to get your speed down to 55 MPH (or where you feel comfortable) and hold the brake until the transmission downshifts to fourth or maybe even third. Let off the brake and enjoy the view. If your speed starts creeping up brake firmly to get it back down. Light long braking is what you want to avoid. If necessary manual down shift into third or second if the speed keeps creeping up more than you like.

Did an east bound decent on I40 in North Carolina and between engine braking and wind resistance the coach held steady at 55. Tow/Haul on, firm braking at the top of the hill. At the bottom hit resume on the cruise control and we were back to normal. The engine braking was enough to activate the tow brakes a few times.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Before you get the start of the decent activate the Tow/Haul feature. At the top of the hill brake firmly to get your speed down to 55 MPH (or where you feel comfortable) and hold the brake until the transmission downshifts to fourth or maybe even third. Let off the brake and enjoy the view. If your speed starts creeping up brake firmly to get it back down. Light long braking is what you want to avoid. If necessary manual down shift into third or second if the speed keeps creeping up more than you like.

Did an east bound decent on I40 in North Carolina and between engine braking and wind resistance the coach held steady at 55. Tow/Haul on, firm braking at the top of the hill. At the bottom hit resume on the cruise control and we were back to normal. The engine braking was enough to activate the tow brakes a few times.
We also did 40 both ways between Asheville, NC and Sieverville TN, which was another big nothing......... Listening to DPers you'd think gassers can't even handle the Florida mountains .

Looking forward to heading out west, so we'll see how our little gasser handles the real mountains!
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
We also did 40 both ways between Asheville, NC and Sieverville TN, which was another big nothing......... Listening to DPers you'd think gassers can't even handle the Florida mountains .

Looking forward to heading out west, so we'll see how our little gasser handles the real mountains!

I do enjoy passing them on the climbs with the growl of 10 cylinders of Detroit steel.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #7

Original Poster here--Thanks for all the replies. I feel a little bit better about that part of the trip now.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
We have had our coach (first RV) for just over a year now. Did up and down from Fancey Gap last year pulling out jeep in our Tiffin gasser, in both directions and it really was no big deal just using tow / haul and NOT using cruse control.

You'll be fine!

Tackling the Rockies this summer, so I'm expecting some real slow going there, but it's just about patience and not pushing it.

Regards
You'll have a blast! I lived in CO for 12 years and have been over the I70 divide many time in gas and diesel vehicles trailers and not. Most folks understand the power loss due to altitude, ~20% in Denver. Its the loss of cooling efficiency that causes lots of problems, too. If you have a clutched fan you need to keep the fan engaged and spinning. Too high an RPM and it will disengage, too low and your coolant flow gets to low. Sorry if thats stuff you already knew.

Heck, I get passed all the time by anyone that wants to. At nearly 40,000lbs towing I take care of the equipment, which takes care of my loved ones.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Drove that route with a dollied Solara. Exhaust Brake and dropped the trans down a gear and only had to use the service brakes a couple of times. My only problem was two blown out taillights on the dolly. Switched to LEDs so shouldnt have that problem again.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #10

I've driven that route many times in our Mandalay. 65 mph uphill...65 mph downhill on the Jake Brake. Never touch the service brakes.

Gotta love the propulsion and braking power of a big diesel.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I drive this route a couple times a year. I think I just drop our of overdrive when descending the long hill.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote