Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

I84 from La Grande, Or to Pendleton, Or mid January

Any of you out there brave enough to travel thru Oregon from Eastern Or to Western Or on I84? Just curious how it went for you and what sort of precautions you take or just stay clear away from it altogether.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thinking about going mid January.
pcmontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #2

Check the weather ahead of traveling, regardless of the time of year.

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news...by-high-w.html
Sherpa Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #3

Eastern Oregon

As an Oregonian and haven driven that route over past 25 yrs - in January, check weather at Baker City, LaGrande, Mecham and Cabbage hill. Fog, packed snow up the grade to Mecham can make for miserable driving. Be prepared, period. If not sure, stay home. Im with Vern too, Check weather. Day time trip only!!!
kLI45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #4

Like all winter travel, it pretty much depends entirely on the weather. I've been through that area many times at all times of the year. Find a weather window and go for it. It's about 6 hours from LaGrande to Portland. Not a big deal as long as roads are clear and temps are above freezing. Often the wind will be more an issue than anything as it seems to be against you 80% of the time. Carry chains or equivalent as that will be a requirement that time of year. Safe travels.
capnqball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Actually that area I always thought to be the easiest traveling, the other direction thru Ladd canyon, Lime on down to Baker City is more unpredictable with ice in that curvy section. Trip check is a good site to look up current road conditions and weather for Oregon. I have seen Odot be overly cautious and shut the road down when actually the conditions were not that bad. Oregon is not afraid of using lots of sand in the truck lanes but the passing lanes not so much.
Like others said wind is more of a problem..Carry chains or tire socks and you will be fine.Jmho..Doug
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Just be aware that there are only 2 seasons in the NW (OR/WA/ID).....
Winter and construction......
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #7

i have traveled to many times in a truck or car,never an rv that time of year

check odot trip check for the latest road conditions,

if you leave early or drive later you will experience black ice in many of the shaded areas as you go around a curve.
the sun melts it during the day but as soon as their is no sun it refreezes rapidly.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
Like all winter travel, it pretty much depends entirely on the weather. I've been through that area many times at all times of the year. Find a weather window and go for it. It's about 6 hours from LaGrande to Portland. Not a big deal as long as roads are clear and temps are above freezing. Often the wind will be more an issue than anything as it seems to be against you 80% of the time. Carry chains or equivalent as that will be a requirement that time of year. Safe travels.
Great advice! I drive it all the time, but not in my RV. That portion can get nasty! There are always windows to make the trip. It is less than an hour drive in Summer conditions. If going to Portland the Gorge is far worse in winter conditions (freezing rain).
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #9

I just read an article that said all the factors that favor a polar vortex have all lined up. It's suppose to hit in January. If it dips down low enough to hit us (in Oregon)it's going to be really friggin cold. If it's going to be ice I don't go. Be careful. One thing to remember about Oregon, is that we don't have many guardrails. If you lose control you go down the mountain.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:04 AM   #10

We used to travel back and forth with the motorhome and toad on I-84 maybe three to four times during the winter during the years we had property both in Nevada and western Washington.

We never continued traveling when we knew the road was going to be nasty. There were a few times we got caught unexpectedly in bad conditions but luckily were able to get off the road before we had to chain up. We never chained up. Driving trucks and commercial buses for as long as I did, I didn't want to hassle with chaining up a motorhome and toad.

As I've said in other threads, since you have a house on wheels, why bother with driving on snow and ice. Just park it and wait for the conditions to improve (unless you're under time constraints). Have a nap, a snack, a meal. Watch videos. Play games. Do housework. Etc. "Chains required" conditions are usually short-lived. Only twice had we experienced traveling over mountain passes where the interstate was closed or chains-required for more than 12-hour stretch.

As others have mentioned, keep checking the ODT website for the current road conditions and the NWS weather page for local forecasts. ODT also has an extensive camera network that can be accessed online to see the road conditions at any given moment at many points along I-84 (and other highways).

However, remember, Oregon like most mountainous states does require you to carry chains (or approved traction devices) through their "snow zones" (Oregon calls them "snow zones"). Therefore, even if you never intend to use them, like us, you nevertheless have to carry them by law. And that goes for the toad too. In Oregon, vehicles of over 10,000 lbs GVWR are subject to different chain requirements than small passenger vehicles so chaining up will be required sooner than passenger vehicles as conditions get worse.

On I-84, there are a total of about five designated "snow zones" from Portland to Ontario. You are required by law to be carrying chains (or approved traction devices) with you when traveling through these "snow zones" so be prepared to show the trooper that you have sets for both the RV and toad. They don't randomly check but if you're involved in an accident (your fault or not) or other incident (traffic infraction, etc.), they may ask to see that you're carrying approved traction devices and cite you if you aren't.

The OR I-84 "snow zones" from my notes going west to east are specifically these areas:

* NE 181st in Troutdale to just west of the Rowena Exit (just east of Portland to just west of The Dalles)
* Pendleton to La Grande (including Cabbage Hill/Deadman Pass and Blue Mountain Summit)
* La Grande to North Powder (Ladd Canyon area)
* Baker City to Durkee (Pleasant Valley area)
* Farewell Bend to Ontario (Three Mile Hill area)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #11

2nd Semi Blown Over IN 3 days

The second semi in three days has been blown over on I-84 in Oregon. The Oregon State Police closed the highway from Pendleton to Baker City.

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news...n-over-by.html
Sherpa Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #12

Like others have said - with the weather reports. The Gorge section can get real nasty for both snow, and wind. Last year it was shut down a few times for snow and ice for couple of days.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote