Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
ICC Flash

Need some advice from fellow motorhome drivers. In my car, I flash my high beams to let a truck \ RV know when they can move over into my lane. Now I have a motorhome with an ICC flash, do I use that to let the truckers know or still give the high beam flash? Just want to make sure I'm using the proper communication.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SW4UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Use your headlights for a vehicle passing you.

Use your ICC lights when you pass a vehicle to thank them for flashing their headlights.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Another friendly use for the ICC Flash is to acknowledge an RV that you are meeting.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #4

I read on one of the sites recently that truckers no longer like you to flash the brights to let them know they are clear. They actually prefer that you turn your lights off and then back on. If that is true it is going to be a hard habit to break as I was taught years ago to flash the clear for anyone who had to use their outside mirrors. Not real sure why but the author was talking about it causing some temporary night blindness due to the nature of today lights. I still do it though and still get the ICC back from the drivers as a "thank you" most of time but not always. Here is one of the threads from a truckers forum: No more flashing! - Page 11 - Truckers Trucking Forum | Largest CDL Truck Driver Message Board
Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
icc

What's the ICC?
colemole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) was a body that regulated RRs and Trucks it was abolished in the mid 90s and its functions transferred to the Surface Transportation Board.

The term ICC Flash is a holdover. It works by momentarily turning on your park/tail lights and marker lights if your headlights are off; if your lights are on it will momentarily turn them off. Just friendly signaling between strangers passing in the dark or light.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Since I don't drive at night, I flash the driving lights (fog lights) to acknowledge a pass.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #8

On and off doesn't work well with Xenon lights
Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Use your headlights for a vehicle passing you.

Use your ICC lights when you pass a vehicle to thank them for flashing their headlights.
This is how we were taught by our parents.
SpursMVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW4UA View Post
Need some advice from fellow motorhome drivers. In my car, I flash my high beams to let a truck \ RV know when they can move over into my lane. Now I have a motorhome with an ICC flash, do I use that to let the truckers know or still give the high beam flash? Just want to make sure I'm using the proper communication.

Thanks in advance for your help.
The best way is to turn off headlights off for 3 seconds, leaving your parking lights on, that way the front driver will get a "better view" in his or "Her " mirrors looking back at you....... 25 years driving truck.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
The "truckers forum" link confirmed my first thought on this -- that it was never a good idea to flash your high beams. I think we only do this in our cars because it's easier than turning the lights off, then back on, which is what truckers have always done.

Now that I have the ICC switch (in both motor homes we've owned), conveniently mounted on the Smart Wheel on the current one, I'm happy to use that instead.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTheOilMan View Post
The best way is to turn off headlights off for 3 seconds, leaving your parking lights on, that way the front driver will get a "better view" in his or "Her " mirrors looking back at you....... 25 years driving truck.

I have been doing that for many years. The only problem today is most of the Truck Stop Truckers are Rude. (Truck driving School Graduates)They do not acknowledge, the fact, that you signaled them.
I don't mean to rant but if someone gives me the ICC flash as it's being refereed to I acknowledge them as a form of Thank You.

I am a retired truck driver 30 yrs, on the road.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #13

Seems like when I started driving in the 1950's on two lane roads you flashed hi-beams at night for a second to alert the vehicle in front of you that you intended to pass them. Many of the passed vehicles would turn off head lights for a second to let you know you had passed and (hopefully) you could return safely to the right lane. You could then flash hi-beams to "thank" them. After passing you also hugged the right shoulder so the driver of the passed vehicle had a better opportunity to see a bit around your vehicle.

As a carry over from the good old days I don't flash hi-beams to let a trucker know he is clear especially at night - I don't want one of them to think I am passing him. With my current RV, when it is in gear the head lights are on. The only way to acknowledge a vehicle is to flash hi-beam or flash fog lights. On freeways I don't flash fog lights at a trucker unless I see his face in his side mirror appearing to look back at me. I don't look at it as telling him it is safe to come into my lane but I look at it as letting him know I am aware he may be changing lanes.

While writing this it just came to me I could use the running lights as a signal. When in gear only the headlights are on so if I turn on (or off) the head light switch the marker and tail lights come on (or off) but headlights to not change. That would be the same effect as the ICC Flash, no?

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote