Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #1

Now that RV winterization is just around the corner, I would appreciate any input on how other people winterize their icemaker pumps to keep it from freezing. On my 2003 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager I am having difficulty determining if the air pressure is actually blowing out the chamber when the icemaker goes thru a harvest cycle. Has anyone devised a method to blow out the pump without running the icemaker thru a harvest cycle?

Coach Dog - Sadie
rvcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #2

Now that RV winterization is just around the corner, I would appreciate any input on how other people winterize their icemaker pumps to keep it from freezing. On my 2003 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager I am having difficulty determining if the air pressure is actually blowing out the chamber when the icemaker goes thru a harvest cycle. Has anyone devised a method to blow out the pump without running the icemaker thru a harvest cycle?

Coach Dog - Sadie
Old 10-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
You ice maker has no pump. It just uses a valve to allow water to flow to the ice tray.

You have to run it through a couple cycles while air preassure is in the line. Look in your manual and there should be instructions on where to connect a 6" jumper wire to make your ice maker cycle.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If yours is a Dometic like ours, there is a solenoid valve in the icemaker's water feed line that can be accessed from the lower refrigerator vent/access cover on the exterior wall of the RV. If you loosen the supply side line at the solenoid valve, you should be able to blow out the system up to the solenoid valve. If you loosen the discharge side line at the solenoid valve, you should be able to blow out the water line up to the icemaker.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #5

Larry,
You have received some good advice. What I do on our Gulf Stream with the Dometic is disconnect the line that goes to the solenoid valve, then I disconnect the line going up to the icemaker. I blow air threw the lines and valve.

I DO NOT reconnect the water line going to the valve, but I pump antifreeze thru the supply line, when it comes out of the supply line, I turn off the valve located on the supply line.

I leave the line disconnected until spring or until I get to Florida in Decenber after Christmas.

I started doing this after I had a solenoid valve crack on our previous coach when I used the pumping antifreeze method thru it.

Dometic recommened that I leave the line disconnected after blowing it out and never had a problem since with the other coach or our present one.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:29 AM   #6

TO; RVCRAZY

Re; Winterizig ice- maker,

All of the previous postings offer good advice, but I go a little further.

I drain entire system and blow out all lines and tanks.

I then add 8-10 gallons of rv anti-freeze to fresh water tank. Next, I pressurize the system with water pump and after getting anti-freeze from all faucets, valves etc., I let the ice maker run for 4-5 cycles until I get pure anti-freeze in ice maker.

This is the 3rd moho I've done this with and I have never had a freezing problem.

Some will say, " Boy, that's alot of anti-freeze". At $3.48 a gallon at Wal-Mart, I feel the $35.00 is cheap compared to finding and fixing a broken line someplace.

I guess it's a question of minimum maintainence or maximum, I'll always go max if affordable.

This scenario is just like the RV toilet tissue vs home type. I know we've all seen someone with clogged sewer pipes and most often it's those folks who chose to save a little money and use house type tissue. I know there are house type tissues available, but I'll stick to my NO problems, 5 rigs, solutions.

Hope this info helps.== AIME===
Old 10-03-2006, 05:02 AM   #7

I have a antifreeze system installed on our coach. It is a valve at the freshwater tank that I shut off and a second valve on a "Tee" that has a hose connected to it that goes into the antifreeze container. Turn the pump on and it pumps the antifreeze into lines.
It takes 4-1/2 gallons to winterize all the lines and washer in our coach.

I do blow out all the lines with air before pumping the antifreeze so that the water is out of the lines and the antifrezze is not diluted.

It really saves the hassle of trying to get all the antifreeze out of the freshwater tank. It also saves on the cost of antifreeze that is wasted by laying in the freshwater tank that can't be pumped out.

The system I installed myself with parts that I purchased from Lowe's. It took about thirty minutes for the actual installation.

Ron

Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 AM   #8

Thanks to all that have responded. Your advice is appreciated. All of the winterization tips were great. However, let me explain a little better what I am trying to do and maybe one of you folks can help me out. If I could find out where that 6" jumper wire goes, that Tom N mention in his response, I think I would be in business. However, my Dometic manual doesn't mention such a jumper. My real issue is the difficulty of holding the compressed air nozzle on the supply while waiting for the ice cube harvest operation to cycle the valve open, which is the Dometic, recommend procedure. To further confuse the issue my dealer technician just returned my telephone regarding this issue. He told me they just remove both lines, let the water drain out and then they use a slight blast of compressed air in both sides of the valve to blow out any residual water that might be left in the valve. He said they do not use continuous air pressure because there is a diaphragm in the valve that could be damaged if continuous air pressure is used. Has anyone heard of this procedure?

I agree with you folks who recommended using anti freeze in the cold areas of the country, but where I live in North Texas, blowing out the lines has worked very well for me on this and our previous coach. Now if I can get this icemaker issue under control I will be a very happy camper.

Coach Dog - Sadie
Old 10-03-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
On our Dometic, I can open the freezer and remove the front plastic panel on the icemaker assembly. Once the panel is removed, there is a knurled plastic knob with an arrow facing clockwise on the metal panel through which it protrudes. If I turn the knob to the right slightly, it starts a harvest/refill cycle.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The jumper wire I mentioned is for a Norcold fridge. If you have a Norcold this will be in your manual. If you have no manual they are online. SOme Dometic manuals are also online.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvcrazy:
To further confuse the issue my dealer technician just returned my telephone regarding this issue. He told me they just remove both lines, let the water drain out and then they use a slight blast of compressed air in both sides of the valve to blow out any residual water that might be left in the valve. He said they do not use continuous air pressure because there is a diaphragm in the valve that could be damaged if continuous air pressure is used. Has anyone heard of this procedure?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry,

If you read my post above, I do what your dealer tech told you to do. Have done it on our present coach and our previous GS with no problem. That is what Dometic recommended to me after the problem I had with the solenoid cracking with the antifreeze procedure.

Our temps got down to zero before we left for Florida last winter with no problem. It should be no problem in Texas mild tempature.

Ron

Old 10-06-2006, 06:45 AM   #12

I think that Ron has it right. I use the same procedure on my Dometic. In fact the ONLY "freeze break" that I have had in the last 10 years has been the solenoid valve ...before I started using Ron's procedure.

Rog
Roger Kneeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #13

Thanks again to all who replied. I will winterize as recommended within in the next few months. The must harvest the ice maker while applying compressed air is still somewhat of a mystery, but according to what I understand this isn't necessary...

Larry

Coach Dog - Sadie