Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #1

Ice Maker and Winter Driving

I havenít seen this subject addressed on any forum before.The comments are about Dometic refrigerators with ice makers.I donít know anything about Norcold.

At times we travel in sub-freezing temperatures without having the plumbing system winterized.Even in really cold conditions, keeping the furnace on and the water heater and refrigerator on propane will normally do the job.I have done it that way in 0 F temps, but that was with a refrigerator that didnít have an ice maker.

The ice maker gives a new problem.Remember that the ice maker on a Dometic has a fresh water line exposed to the outside.That line is supplied with a 120V heater to keep it from freezing.In addition, keeping the refrigerator running generates some heat to the back of the frig, but not much.

In a conversation with Dometic, they thought that if the coach was heated normally, the ice maker line and valve would be safe down to about 25F without the use of the 120 V heater on the line.Below that, they thought the heater should be on.

To me that means that going down the road in conditions below 25F with the coach un-winterized:
1. The furnace should be on set to about 70 degrees
2. The water heater should be on propane
3. The Dometic refrigerator should be on propane
4. The generator should be running to supply voltage to the ice maker water line and valve.If you donít want to run the generator, some other means of should be provided to power the heater.

Good Luck!
Wil

wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Simple solution would be to trace the water line to the ice maker back into an accessible space and install a simple shut off valve/drain in the water line. There might be one if you have a water distribution manifold. Besides shutting off the line, it should be drained.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I ran our coach in below freezing temps and the water line was fine. What caused it to leak was the heat tape used to keep it from freezing, finally burned a hole in the line
Old 11-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dometit and Norcold use identical (For the most part) Ice Makers.

The heaters should help prevent freezing but if you really wish to play safe do this.. Open your low point valve, do not open any other valve (Cold water line) and cycle the ice maker while it is warm.

Now, once done use the shut off valve that supplies water to the ice maker to close that line off and lift the bail to the OFF position, use ice cube trays if you need more ice.

or do what I did, Rip the thing out and put in trays, rejoice in the extra freezer space.

What plan A does: When the valve opens to let water in, since it will be under a vacuum (Around five feet of water's worth) air will be sucked into the line backwards, "Winterizing" that line only, closing the vlave keeps it full of air.

Or better still..... When you de-winterize.. DO NOT open the valve to the ice maker, keep it air-charged.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With the wind and cold blowing in the fridge vent its going to be hard for that 12v heat wrap to keep line from freezing.
Best thing to do is disconnect the line up to ice maker and drain it.
The 12v valve should be blown out of water and one of the 12v wire clips removed.
When you get back to reasonable weather hook back up.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #6

The heater for the fresh water line on a Dometic is 120V, not 12V.

The issue is there is no heat on that line without 120V service.

I suspect finding the place to install a shutoff valve and drain valve will be a challenge.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 11-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
The heater for the fresh water line on a Dometic is 120V, not 12V.

The issue is there is no heat on that line without 120V service.

I suspect finding the place to install a shutoff valve and drain valve will be a challenge.

Good Luck!
Wil
My heating wire on my water line is 12 VDC...........
Would not be of much good if it did not work without have to run the genset just to heat up the ice maker water line in cold weather while traveling.......
Schematic on page 16 http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/ndr1292.pdf
Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #8

I appreciate the Dometic manual. I have the same one. Neither your or mine show anything about the ice maker. In fact, I can't find any manual at all for the ice maker.

Because I couldn't find a wiring diagram for the ice maker, I called Dometic. The young lady put me on hold while she checked with the techs. They informed her and she informed me that the heater for the ice maker line is, in fact, 120V like everything else about the ice maker. And as is common knowledge, the ice maker solenoid is also 120V.

This info from Dometic is the reason I made the first post. While underway, the only way to get heat to the icemaker heater cable, according to Dometic, is to provide a 120V source. The easiest such source is the generator.

My post was just trying to give others a head-up.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 11-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
If you know the wattage of the heat cord, a simpler solution would be an appropriate sized inverter. While the engine is running the alternator will keep your batteries from becoming discharged.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
I appreciate the Dometic manual. I have the same one. Neither your or mine show anything about the ice maker. In fact, I can't find any manual at all for the ice maker.

Because I couldn't find a wiring diagram for the ice maker, I called Dometic. The young lady put me on hold while she checked with the techs. They informed her and she informed me that the heater for the ice maker line is, in fact, 120V like everything else about the ice maker. And as is common knowledge, the ice maker solenoid is also 120V.

This info from Dometic is the reason I made the first post. While underway, the only way to get heat to the icemaker heater cable, according to Dometic, is to provide a 120V source. The easiest such source is the generator.

My post was just trying to give others a head-up.

Good Luck!
Wil
Thank you Wil for this info. I am going to look at this a little closer now I have never traveled in super cold weather so I never encountered any problems. When I looked at the wiringschematicc, I was thinking "I" was the heat trace (heating cable)on the water line Thank you for reporting this! And correcting me
Old 11-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Simple solution would be to trace the water line to the ice maker back into an accessible space and install a simple shut off valve/drain in the water line. There might be one if you have a water distribution manifold. Besides shutting off the line, it should be drained.
In our coach there is a water shut off valve for the water supply line to the ice maker under the fridge on the inside. We had our line freeze and several pinholes started to spray the back side of the fridge causing water to find its way inside the coach.

I shut the water off and disconnected at the valve at the back of the ice maker...still need to replace that section of line, but we haven't had a need for the ice maker and enjoying the added space not having the storage tray provides inside the freezer.

Tags
winter