Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My coach came with a non-working Uline ice maker in the lower compartment. After seeing how much they cost online, I ended up spending around $300 to get it fixed. Still must not be fixed right as it barely makes 5 pounds a day. Wish I would have just bought something else new.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on the ULine built-in! It cranks out a batch of ice every 20 minutes, like clock work. They pretty much do last forever but there is one thing that goes wrong. After so many years, the coating on the trey (where the ice is actually made) corrodes and that unit needs to be replaced (about $300 parts). A pretty easy replacement with the kit from ULine. And, may I say... ULine customer service is top notch. They have knowledgeable techs on the phone and will work through whatever issue you have.

In my experience, use only ULine parts. Some have used more generic replacement units and had troubles. I also read that one guy used a generic bought at Lowe's and said it worked... but who's to say if it worked up to the level of factory specs. Personally, I like knowing how well it works with the right parts and also knowing great technical service is available just a phone call away.

PS: That $300 in parts was for the entire ice making unit. It is my understanding that you can replace just the tray for less money but I decided to keep it simple and just change out the unit.

blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is anyone running a built-in stand-alone icemaker from the inverter, or is it generator/shore power only?

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Is anyone running a built-in stand-alone icemaker from the inverter, or is it generator/shore power only?
On mine, the tag says 1/6hp drawing 2.5 amps on 115v so it seems like inverter should be no problem. Unfortunately, since I usually find myself in the heat, I'm runnning down the road with the generator going to run the roof A/Cs so I haven't actually tried running with just the inverter. Like you, I'm looking forward to the experienced answer.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #19

Ice Maker Options

Ours run on inverter all the time.
As to a Uline not making enough ice. Turn the temp warmer then ice production will go up.
Ours is finally due for getting the ice maker portion ($200) replaced. Coating is coming off the mold and leaks a little into the bin. But still makes a lot of ice fast.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Ours run on inverter all the time.
As to a Uline not making enough ice. Turn the temp warmer then ice production will go up.
Ours is finally due for getting the ice maker portion ($200) replaced. Coating is coming off the mold and leaks a little into the bin. But still makes a lot of ice fast.

I now feel foolish for not asking if the inverter is MSW or PSW in my original question. Which is yours, please?

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #21

Our ice maker in a portable (16 years old). It came from Heartland for $159. It will turn 4 gallons of water into ice (33 lbs) in a 24 hour day. It sits on the floor by the dinette so it is not in the way. I had to rewire the 120 volt duplex plug (already there) to run off the inverter. The little Xantrex 1000 handles the ice maker handily (400 watts).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I now feel foolish for not asking if the inverter is MSW or PSW in my original question. Which is yours, please?

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD

Pretty sure it is a Full Sine Wave. It is a Trace Engineering inverter charger
Old 07-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #23

It's only the two of us. I don't need ice for keeping the fish cool, as I don't fish!

We do the 1 gallon bag of ice before we leave the house. And, we have this item that consumes no extra power, and creates ice for us:

Easy Release Ice Cube Tray | Rubbermaid

We keep two of them in the freezer, actually in the bucket where our Samsung RF18 Ice Maker is supposed to dump the ice. And, we also keep the 1 gallon bang of ice in this bucket. And still have room for more items to be stored. When the bag is about half empty, we toss a tray of ice into it, and get another batch going.

One of our main reasons for doing it this way, vs using the Samsung Ice Maker, is we wish to have better quality water going into the our ice.

We'd always used bottled water for drinking/coffee/cooking/ice making in most of the years we've been RV'ing. And even with our older Norcold 1200, we removed the ice maker, to allow more freezer storage.

We have a simple Camco filter at the hose bib, to get out the big stuff! We go thru our On The Go water softener. Then our coaches OEM water filter, which does a pretty good job of the full house filtering. We added a 'Finisher Charcoal' filter to the new Samsung RF18, and tried the automatic ice cubes for about 4-6 months. But since we had also added an under sink RV Water/Filter Store filter and counter top faucet - we decided to we liked that water better. It also filters for cyst, so it adds another degree of safety.

So, we turned of the auto ice maker, use the 1 gallon bag, and the Rubber Maid ice trays. Our martinis, rusty nails, and other iced beverages taste better since making this move!

But again, I do know several RV'ers that would consume two full trays of ice per day as they drink ice tea it seems from AM to PM! So, one size does not fit all...

OP - If going Counter Top Ice Maker, which looks like a good all around compromise for cost and space. Do go ahead get Pure Sine Wave. Maybe get a bit larger unit, and only have it spliced into only feed the outlets to the kitchen. I would go bigger then smaller - and only do the cost of this upgrade one time. A 1000W PSW should cover the bulk of our kitchen related needs.

But, this may not be important to you, and a stand alone smaller inverter maybe exactly what you feel is right. Still recommend PSW, and also recommend one with a cooling fan.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Old 07-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I like the ULine as well, only problem is that I usually shut of the water pump or city water when leaving the MH for a while and forget to lift the ice maker bail that turns off the ice making.
I then end up with water that trickles in and forms an ice waterfall at the back and it won't make ice until cleared. Otherwise it works fine and if not using it for ice it makes for some nice extra freezer space.

In our S&B we have the portable model and wouldn't be without it - first ice in around 15 minutes and then continuous until full or out of water.

Chris

cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote