Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 07:25 AM   #1

Ice Maker Options

Hi there! New to the forum, and to the Class A lifestyle. We just bought a 1996 Newmar Kountry Aire, and we're working through a small renovation and customization.

One issue we've always had with our trailers and now the coach is the lack of an ice maker, so we know that this is something we want in the new one.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent ice maker? Ideally, at minimum, hard plumbed into the coach so you don't have to fill a reservoir. Best case would run on 12v (or we can add an inverter for this purpose).

I know some coaches have these built in, so maybe I can add one from another unit.

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbdavis View Post
Hi there! New to the forum, and to the Class A lifestyle. We just bought a 1996 Newmar Kountry Aire, and we're working through a small renovation and customization.

One issue we've always had with our trailers and now the coach is the lack of an ice maker, so we know that this is something we want in the new one.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent ice maker? Ideally, at minimum, hard plumbed into the coach so you don't have to fill a reservoir. Best case would run on 12v (or we can add an inverter for this purpose).
I know some coaches have these built in, so maybe I can add one from another unit.
Thanks in advance!
kevinbdavis
My coach has a built in U-Line B195 ice maker like this:
U-Line Ice Maker-pplmotorhomes.com

Try here a used one:
Colaw RV Used RV Parts | We Have Your Part

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 07-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #3

For price, simplicity, portability, and small size, you can't beat something like this. It will put out a fair amount of ice with each fill.
Portable Ice Cube Maker Countertop Compact 26 lb Day Ice Cube Machine Brand New | eBay

When you're through using it, you can just store it in a cabinet somewhere.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #4

Thank you!

I saw that U-line one, and holy $$. ;-> I love the idea, but probably not going to shell out that kind of money right now. I guess you pay for convenience, for sure.

I love the little one, that is probably more our speed, at least initially. I think I can just add a small inverter (until I can add a whole house one) to power it from the batteries.

More ideas welcome, thank you!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #5

Why not use the generator or shore power to power it ?
Old 07-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Why not use the generator or shore power to power it ?
I'm thinking more while we drive, and would rather not run the generator all the time just to power this small appliance (I'm hoping it'll make ice as we go, then we can have it when we stop for lunch, or whatever.)

These only use about 230W, so you could even do it's own 300W inverter (pretty inexpensive since this doesn't need fancy power).

That's the idea anyway.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #7

I'd suggest making ice when you're parked as well as taking ice from home when you leave. That way you won't need any power for an ice maker I always fill a gallon ziplock bag with ice that I put in the freezer, before leaving the house. I just use the portable ice maker when parked.
I don't know if you are aware or not, but running the generator is a good thing. They are supposed to be exercised regularly. They develop more problems when they are not used, than when they are used regularly.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
I'd suggest making ice when you're parked as well as taking ice from home when you leave. That way you won't need any power for an ice maker I always fill a gallon ziplock bag with ice that I put in the freezer, before leaving the house. I just use the portable ice maker when parked.
I don't know if you are aware or not, but running the generator is a good thing. They are supposed to be exercised regularly. They develop more problems when they are not used, than when they are used regularly.
That's a good idea...

And yeah, we run the genset, I am just being a cheap ass, avoiding the 1G per hour thing for making ice. I'll let the DW decide how she wants to handle the ice making procedure, I'll make it so.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
epj

Those little portable ice makers work pretty well. Once plugged up, you'll have ice in just a few minutes. Only downside is that they take up counter space. There is a larger one that has more capacity, but the one we have makes more ice than we can use. And we tend to use a lot. We have a built in ice maker that's on the blink right now, but the portable will do until I can get the other one fixed.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

The uline units were factory common options back in the day as ours came with one.

We now have 4...

Yes they are expensive if bought retail...Our unit in the shop was $2000 but we picked it up for $200.

One was $20.00 at an estate sale...

These are common items used for home bars and can be found often via craigslist.

Our expensive one is fancy stainless steel but the actual unit in all 4 that vary from 25 years old to maybe 6 are the same.

They are very low power and easily run on small inverter so no need for generator to run while traveling.

Turn on a day before driving and the bin will be full then run inverter while driving and you are good.

We'll insulated and will keep ice for some time.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put in this Stand Alone over 2 years ago and it is still working good. I do have to defrost it about every 3 months. But the door on it is opened many times a day.

It works just as good as the U Line I had in my last MH. And at about 1/2 the $$$. I tried 2 different portable ones that doesn't keep the Ice cold(frozen) and melts fast in a drink. No comparison to this stand alone.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #12

Quote:
This is what we did. The key is to take the ice out and put it in freezer bags in your freezer. Ice left in the ice maker will sit there and melt.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #13

We just use a igloo counter top model from Walmart about $100. It's makes its first batch in about 12 minutes and then about every 8 minutes till the bin is full. We use it every day we travel then store it under the bed. We don't bag any ice, it just refreezes the melt. It makes plenty of ice for the 2 of us.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine came with the ULINE and we love it. Best thing about it is that we can turn the icemaker off and use it as an additional freezer. When we want ice it will make it fast. They are built to last (my previous class A was also a BlueBird and the original uline still worked fine when I sold it..it was an 84 model).

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote