Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #1

Icky, sticky, gooey window & ladder junk

I'm in the process now of working on the entire outside on our MH which means buffing out any deoxidation, polishing & waxing along with resealing all joints, doors, windows etc. As I looked today at the window seals and the rubbery gaskets around the rear ladder mounts, they are now icky, sticky & gooey and very tough to get off. They're soft and smear easily, leaving smudge marks on the fiberglass etc.

My question is:
Do any of you know a technique or product to use to make this removing old material easier and clean so that the surface is able to receive new sealant? On the ladder...I really don't want to remove completely and replace these gaskets. I'd just like to clean, trim around the mounts or whatever and then apply new sealant around them.

See attached photos.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #2

window 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder-1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	141723   Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder-2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	141724  

Click image for larger version

Name:	window-1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	141725   Click image for larger version

Name:	window-2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	141726  

Old 10-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #3

marjoa,
Typically, TYPICALLY, the element used for sealing windows and as a gasket for ladder mounts is what's called "Putty tape". It normally comes as a roll with paper in between each wind in the roll. It's a malleable putty that, inside the joints, stays fairly soft and pliable and, outside the joint, as in window framing edges and perimeters, it looses the oils in it and it will eventually dry out enough to actually peel off and drop off in small chunks.

Normally, to remove it is a bit gummy but, not really all that bad. And usually it takes some paint thinner or something similar to remove the residue and left over smaller clumps.

Now, this is all presuming that what you have on your coach is what I've described. Is it possible you've got something else? Heck yeah it's possible. There's all kinds of sealants/caulks out there and, I'm certainly no expert on what manufacturers use what products. But, as stated, typically most of them used that putty tape 'cause it was/is cheap, easy to apply, no real accuracy is need and, it has the compressibility to be squeezed out to form a seal in uneven surfaces.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Think of using a plastic serrated knife with out a lot of excess pressure to make a trim cut then scrape with a blunt piece of plastic like the blade of the plastic knife cut off. Again use reasonable pressure when cutting and scraping.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Plastic razor blades work great.

Try https://scraperite.com/

I like the yellow blades and the Big Gripper handle.

Paul
pwhittle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
Plastic razor blades work great.

Try https://scraperite.com/

I like the yellow blades and the Big Gripper handle.

Paul
WOW thanks Paul. This looks like a great solution. Never heard of these before. Going to buy some. I'll update this thread after I use them.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

above suggestions work good. i use wooden shims and they work good also with bigger hand hold//
Old 10-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
marjoa,
Typically, TYPICALLY, the element used for sealing windows and as a gasket for ladder mounts is what's called "Putty tape". It normally comes as a roll with paper in between each wind in the roll. It's a malleable putty that, inside the joints, stays fairly soft and pliable and, outside the joint, as in window framing edges and perimeters, it looses the oils in it and it will eventually dry out enough to actually peel off and drop off in small chunks.

Normally, to remove it is a bit gummy but, not really all that bad. And usually it takes some paint thinner or something similar to remove the residue and left over smaller clumps.

Now, this is all presuming that what you have on your coach is what I've described. Is it possible you've got something else? Heck yeah it's possible. There's all kinds of sealants/caulks out there and, I'm certainly no expert on what manufacturers use what products. But, as stated, typically most of them used that putty tape 'cause it was/is cheap, easy to apply, no real accuracy is need and, it has the compressibility to be squeezed out to form a seal in uneven surfaces.
Scott
That "putty tape" is probably buytal tape found in auto,RV and marine parts stores. Easy to use acetone to clean off sticky stuff.

Alan and Trry

AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window