Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
ICP solar panel replacement

Wondering if anyone can help us at there. Took our first road trip in our 2004 Fleetwood Southwind we purchased in March of this year. After what seemed like a million little things that we had to fix, we finally managed to get it on the road. Will most likely later post more on all the problems we had. Now am simply adding one more annoyance. As we were driving along, we had a banging and flopping, which at first we took for a tire failure, but stopped got out and checked and tires were all ok. Climbed up on the roof and lo and behold, the solar panel had broken loose. It of course was broken and now am looking to see if anyone out there can help me find a replacement. The info on it is as follows ICP Global Technologies, Part # 04053, RVP # 7333-303 5.1 Watts @17.5 Volts, 290 MA 12" x 12" . Would appreciate any help you can give me Thanks

emmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Most people discover early on that those little 'optional' solar panels that come with the RV are too small to be of much use. Since you have it, that probably means your RV didn't come with an auxiliary device to keep your chassis (starting) battery charged while on shore power. Just add a Trik-L-Start or a float charger from WM for $20 to keep your chassis battery charged and forget that little solar panel. JMO.

'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Hello Emmi, well good luck finding one of those stock solar panels, maybe at a rv grave yard. The key is the 5 watts and the voltage, which is not under load. So bearing that in mind, here's one I put on a 2002 Pace Arrow that I owned once, and will probably put on my new (to me) Expedition, as the one I have is toast

NEW Sunforce 50022 5 Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger | eBay

Ok, you will have to cut the connecting wires from your old one and wire it to the new solar panel. Observe the wiring closely there should be marking on the wires to signify the ground wire and the positive. Make sure you have these identified. Cut the old connection off the old solar panel, leave about 5 inches of wire on it. Then cut the wire from the new solar panel.
Now see if I can tell you how to do this. Stagger the cuts, cut one wire on the old one shorter than the other. Then lay the new panel wire on the old wire with the connector and cut it to match, so the cuts are not side by side but probably 1 1/2 inches apart, comprende?

Then get some heat shrink tubing and a soldering iron and a long extension cord crawl up there on the roof and slip a piece of heat shrink tubing over one of the wires, (make sure the heat shrink will fit back over the wires after you have joined them), push the heat shrink back far enough on the wire so the heat from the solder gun will not cause it to shrink. Solder it. Do the same for the other wire.

Use BLACK UV resistant zip ties to hold the new panel to the old mount. BTW, if the old mount is toast, sand it off and coat it with black undercoating, will look like new.

Well that's about all the scoop I have left in this shovel full. Oh yeah watch the little red light in the surround on your air conditioner, (inside the coach) and it should be red and glowing if the sun is out.

Hope this helps
Happy trails
MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote

replacement, solar