Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
As others have pointed out, an RV is not a truck or a bus, even if it is a bus. In Florida RVs of the various types have their own definition in the traffic statutes. You don't have to follow truck/bus signs and rules. You are required to pay attention to weight and height requirements. Having said that, all those signs might be a clue that the wise might, should, decide to follow.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
SpaceNorman and Scatterbrain have provided excellent
answers to the OP, I have 6 years and 76,000miles of
experience, and am still learning every trip out.
And, I completely agree with their advice.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
My rig is licensed as a 32,500# car (house-car in California).

I tend to observe weight limits, especially on bridges, but do not explicitly follow truck rules.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
I generally will follow signs advising of height, weight, or lane restrictions; as well as bypass routes. They are there for a reason. I'd like to think it's about common sense. A 40ft, 30k lb RV towing a 20ft, 6k lb toad set-up isn't going to be very agile, or be able to change speed quickly.
I know it annoys me to no end when a truck will decide to pass another truck on a two lane stretch of highway, only to spend 10 minutes doing it because there isn't a full 1mph speed difference between them. All the while backing traffic up for miles behind them. I don't want to be that guy. If there are restricted truck lanes I may still use the left lane if there is a truck in front of me that is going way too slow and I can do it without blocking traffic in the left lane. Otherwise I just wait.. . . .impatiently.
^^This^^
petrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having driven Coast to Coast US and Canada in transport trucks I don't follow truck rules in my Coach.
But I would like to state for the safety of new RV drivers. All speed limits i believe are set to keep the worst case scenario safe. IE heavy loaded trucks.

If I am driving my Mustang I know that the speed limits seem ridiculously slow.
However I did at least acknowledge the speed signs when driving the trucks.

If a person is starting out in an RV I would say till you know your rig. Drive the posted speed limits. They are designed to keep you safe!!

As far as the rest of it. I think the term commercial as apposed to private is the issue.
Just my opinion!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Just a word of caution here, if you are driving in California and the sign says 70 mph cars 55 mph trucks, and you are going 69 mph, they will pull you over in your 40' rv for speeding whether you think your rv is a truck or not.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Just a word of caution here, if you are driving in California and the sign says 70 mph cars 55 mph trucks, and you are going 69 mph, they will pull you over in your 40' rv for speeding whether you think your rv is a truck or not.
If they classify MH's as trucks I'd see why. Any proof they do?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Good to know!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #23

Not true about Ca. Read the signs that Ca posts and you will see that 55mph limit applies to 3 axles or more and vehicles towing. A 2 axle mh not towing can travel the higher speed.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Not true about Ca. Read the signs that Ca posts and you will see that 55mph limit applies to 3 axles or more and vehicles towing. A 2 axle mh not towing can travel the higher speed.
That's exactly what I just discovered:

"The 55 MPH speed limit on California freeways applies to trucks with 3 or more axles, or with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of more than 26,000 lbs. It ALSO APPLIES to ANY vehicle towing a trailer."

I couldn't find that in the CA Drivers Handbook, only a quote in another forum. I have no doubt that it's true though.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
If they classify MH's as trucks I'd see why. Any proof they do?
This is one of those common sense things. Do anything you want and the police will apply the rules as they see fit. If they determine you are large enough to qualify for the slower speed they will write the ticket.

CA also states any vehicle towing a trailer is restricted to 55 so if you are towing a toad???

We are located in CA off of I8. We see really long units driving by highway patrol with no reaction when folks are heading out to the Imperial Dunes. Also see units pulled over but do not stop to ask what the issue is.

Bottom line is you can do whatever you think you can get away with. You only pay if you get caught or something goes south. You pay your money and take your chances. Staying on the cautious side seems to be the prudent thing to do when traveling in a 40,000 unit with your family.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
This is one of those common sense things. Do anything you want and the police will apply the rules as they see fit. If they determine you are large enough to qualify for the slower speed they will write the ticket.
So is it common sense or the law? According to what I posted, I would be legal to drive the car speed if I'm not pulling a toad. The cop doesn't get to enforce common sense, even though some of them think they can enforce what ever they feel like
Old 03-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #27

I spend a lot of time driving on CA freeways so the ambiguity of the 55 truck speed limit was really bothering me. Here is what I found from a "law" perspective.
CA Codes (veh:22400-22413)

22406. No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a
highway at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:
(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or
any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.
(b) A passenger vehicle or bus drawing any other vehicle.
(c) A schoolbus transporting any school pupil.
(d) A farm labor vehicle when transporting passengers.
(e) A vehicle transporting explosives.
(f) A trailer bus, as defined in Section 636.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/cdl_htm/sec1

You Must Have a CDL to Operate:
Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
A combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Any vehicle that tows any vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more.
Any vehicle that tows more than one vehicle or a trailer bus.
To summarize-
(1) if you have a tag axel or are towing anything your vehicle is a "truck"
(2) an RV is a "truck" if its gross vehicle weight rating is 26,001lbs or more
(3) the guy with the gun will win the "is it a truck or not" argument every time

Thanks for everyones input!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
With a length a hair under 65' with the toad on (coach alone is few inches short of 45') and a GCVW of 47,000 lbs - I pay attention to and follow most truck related signs and directions. Obviously, mine is a non-commercial vehicle - so I don't pull into weigh stations - but I do follow the "trucks use right lanes" signs. It just seems like the sensible thing to do.
+1. Follow the intent of the law, even if the letter doesn't apply.

CA Laws ave special rules for motorhomes over 40', including restrictions to truck routes, etc. I suggest anyone going to CA read their rules as they're most restrictive than other western states. Based on internet banter, more likely to be enforced too.

LINK to Caltrans site on motorhome rules over 40'

However, there's nothing that says a bus/motorhome of any length can't go faster than 55mph. I've seen plenty of links that state that non-school buses can go faster than 55mph.

Section 22406 of the CA Vehicle Code states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22406 VC

No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a highway at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:
(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.
(b) A passenger vehicle or bus drawing any other vehicle.
(c) A schoolbus transporting any school pupil.
(d) A farm labor vehicle when transporting passengers.
(e) A vehicle transporting explosives.
(f) A trailer bus, as defined in Section 636.
Being legally right just means that, with a decent lawyer, you'd prevail in court. Cops write incorrect tickets all the time, especially to out-of-state plates where fighting is often not worth the time and expense.