Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #1

Identity Crisis- Truck or Bus?

When driving a class A, do you follow the signs for trucks ("Trucks Right Lane Only", "Trucks Must Use Bypass") or busses ("Busses And Passenger Cars Only")?

Historically, I have always followed the signs the were the most "convenient" for me at that moment. If I ever got stopped, would a cop/judge consider a class A a truck, bus, or something completely different?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When the weigh station says "trucks must exit" we dont.
When It Says "Trucks Speed Limit 60" we do follow that.
Or weight limit signs for trucks.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #3

I'm not driving a truck (though it handles like one sometimes) so I don't follow any of the "truck" rules. There may be some obscure law out there, but the cops are too busy enforcing other rules to worry about me
69Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #4

Rv's are not trucks and dont have to adhere to thier rules. That said when i am on surface streets in an area i am unfamiliar with i follow truck route signs and stay off streets that say no trucks as i have run into height issues.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

It really depends on what your coach is....
Our current is short and only not all that heavy. I usually follow the car or car-trailer signs. There is no way it is a truck.
A friend has a 40+ behemoth. He has to go where trucks go except for weigh stations. Face it, it is a bus.

Frank
Old 03-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

I don't follow truck directives, unless travelling through a city, then I'll follow the truck routes. However, I do adhere to the bus directives.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Identity Crisis- Truck or Bus?

Those signs apply to commercial vehicles, weigh stations are also only for commercial vehicles. Weight restrictions on bridges, of course, apply to all vehicles.

Mine is not a truck. It is not a bus. It is a recreational vehicle.

Hope this helps .
Old 03-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

I agree we are not trucks so don't have to adhere to truck rules. One instance I do obey truck rules is when they are re-building a road sometimes they have temporary right lanes and they put up signs telling trucks to stay in the left lane. I stay in the left lane. Those temp right lanes are not for heavy vehicles so stay off them. Thank you.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

I have taken a truck bypass, but not always. It is a game to figure out exactly what you are bypassing but sometimes it is a steep grade or a complex merge that will benefit the travel. I never feel compelled except in a rest arwa.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on what is most convenient for me at the time.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #11

Thanks for the input. I agree that the commercially oriented truck signs and rules (weigh stations, city bypasses, etc.) are not applicable to my 38' 30,000 lb class A with air brakes, and that height and weight restrictions clearly are.

The grey area I am inquiring about are signs like "Trucks Right 2 Lanes Only" on a mountain pass. Obviously, that sign is to keep heavier and slower vehicles out of the way of much lighter and faster passenger vehicles. I think it could be argued that these signs would also be applicable to a 30,000 lb DP crawling up, or down a mountain pass- the sign right before it "Trucks & Buses Must Use Low Gear" is most certainly applicable to my safety.

Or how about the "55 Truck Speed Limit" signs? I'm assuming this special speed limit is safety related and because on some roads heavy high profile vehicles should not be traveling as fast as more agile passenger cars, not because they want punish/hinder commercial trucks.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
With a length a hair under 65' with the toad on (coach alone is few inches short of 45') and a GCVW of 47,000 lbs - I pay attention to and follow most truck related signs and directions. Obviously, mine is a non-commercial vehicle - so I don't pull into weigh stations - but I do follow the "trucks use right lanes" signs. It just seems like the sensible thing to do.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkey View Post
Thanks for the input. I agree that the commercially oriented truck signs and rules (weigh stations, city bypasses, etc.) are not applicable to my 38' 30,000 lb class A with air brakes, and that height and weight restrictions clearly are.

The grey area I am inquiring about are signs like "Trucks Right 2 Lanes Only" on a mountain pass. Obviously, that sign is to keep heavier and slower vehicles out of the way of much lighter and faster passenger vehicles. I think it could be argued that these signs would also be applicable to a 30,000 lb DP crawling up, or down a mountain pass- the sign right before it "Trucks & Buses Must Use Low Gear" is most certainly applicable to my safety.

Or how about the "55 Truck Speed Limit" signs? I'm assuming this special speed limit is safety related and because on some roads heavy high profile vehicles should not be traveling as fast as more agile passenger cars, not because they want punish/hinder commercial trucks.
If I can keep up with the speed limit then I stay where I am, if not or if I am towing I use the truck lanes.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #14

I generally will follow signs advising of height, weight, or lane restrictions; as well as bypass routes. They are there for a reason. I'd like to think it's about common sense. A 40ft, 30k lb RV towing a 20ft, 6k lb toad set-up isn't going to be very agile, or be able to change speed quickly.
I know it annoys me to no end when a truck will decide to pass another truck on a two lane stretch of highway, only to spend 10 minutes doing it because there isn't a full 1mph speed difference between them. All the while backing traffic up for miles behind them. I don't want to be that guy. If there are restricted truck lanes I may still use the left lane if there is a truck in front of me that is going way too slow and I can do it without blocking traffic in the left lane. Otherwise I just wait.. . . .impatiently.