Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #141

I took care of all my dis-connects before cranking my Cummins diesel engine yesterday morning at 0613 in a KOA campground. I was facing a 540 mile trip and started early.

The engine has to be running to raise the jacks and bring in the slide-outs.

I left out as quietly as I could. 0600 on Monday though in the same KOA, the trash truck emptied two dumpsters about 50' from my spot.

Questions: What do you do if the windshield is frosted over? Why is there the ability to have the Cummins go into high idle if it is not for a quicker warm-up so you can remove the frost and condensation from your HUGE windshield?

I do try to be considerate. The KOA was located next to a 4 lane highway and Texas is full of "NASCAR driver wannabes" with their dual exhaust, roaring pickup trucks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #142

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
I took care of all my dis-connects before cranking my Cummins diesel engine yesterday morning at 0613 in a KOA campground. I was facing a 540 mile trip and started early.

The engine has to be running to raise the jacks and bring in the slide-outs.

I left out as quietly as I could. 0600 on Monday though in the same KOA, the trash truck emptied two dumpsters about 50' from my spot.

Questions: What do you do if the windshield is frosted over? Why is there the ability to have the Cummins go into high idle if it is not for a quicker warm-up so you can remove the frost and condensation from your HUGE windshield?

I do try to be considerate. The KOA was located next to a 4 lane highway and Texas is full of "NASCAR driver wannabes" with their dual exhaust, roaring pickup trucks.
I have never had my windshield frosted over.........as we were inside and it was 70 74 degs. inside..........
Camped in temps in the low teens over night...........everything else was frosted over.....but not the windshield.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post

They make long handled ice scrapers for that, but like the previous poster said, if you are staying the night in the coach, I'm not sure how the windshield could frost over with the inside air temp at least 50 degrees!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #144

The INSIDE air temp at 50 degrees?? Why would it be that cold INSIDE the coach?

I have overnighted as low as 15 degrees outside, but it's always 72 degrees inside.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #145

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow, and I thought campers as a whole were a great group of understanding people? It really saddens me to read such along post of trivialities.
I have experienced, long idlers, loud kids, barking dogs, cooking with loud spices, campfire smoke coming into my rig, people coming in late or leaving early, toads that don't fit in the site, loud music, campground upgrades, early am campground maintenance, loud fireworks, concerts, pollen, dirt tracked in from the outside, dirt/dust/sand blowing in, water leaks, people driving the wrong way in the campground or speeding, golf carts running me off the road, handicapped scooters running me down, strollers running me down, etc. I don't hold a grudge or any anger to any of it. I have come across a few folks that are probably some of the same ones complaining on this forum.
What do you do when you are stuck in traffic? Tell everyone around you to turn of their engine.
I don't assume anyone is just doing something to annoy me, I worry about what I am doing and try not to impede others.
My opinion is if you have issues with your neighbors who perhaps are 5 feet away from you in a crowded campground by design and not by their ill intent, by yourself 10 acres, park in the middle and enjoy your lonely life or hang up the keys and get off the road. Sorry to offend anyone, but life is to short to be so angry with other over the smell of fumes.
This is not directed to the original poster, who just wanted to know if there was a reason for the idle time. It can take a few minutes to warm a diesel pusher and every owners manual probably says to warm it, perhaps it was their first trip, maybe they have a checklist that needs to be reordered, maybe they had an issue with their coach, any number of reasons for an idle time.
My 2 cents..
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #146

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookAtUSNow View Post
Wow, and I thought campers as a whole were a great group of understanding people? It really saddens me to read such along post of trivialities.
I have experienced, long idlers, loud kids, barking dogs, cooking with loud spices, campfire smoke coming into my rig, people coming in late or leaving early, toads that don't fit in the site, loud music, campground upgrades, early am campground maintenance, loud fireworks, concerts, pollen, dirt tracked in from the outside, dirt/dust/sand blowing in, water leaks, people driving the wrong way in the campground or speeding, golf carts running me off the road, handicapped scooters running me down, strollers running me down, etc. I don't hold a grudge or any anger to any of it. I have come across a few folks that are probably some of the same ones complaining on this forum.
What do you do when you are stuck in traffic? Tell everyone around you to turn of their engine.
I don't assume anyone is just doing something to annoy me, I worry about what I am doing and try not to impede others.
My opinion is if you have issues with your neighbors who perhaps are 5 feet away from you in a crowded campground by design and not by their ill intent, by yourself 10 acres, park in the middle and enjoy your lonely life or hang up the keys and get off the road. Sorry to offend anyone, but life is to short to be so angry with other over the smell of fumes.
This is not directed to the original poster, who just wanted to know if there was a reason for the idle time. It can take a few minutes to warm a diesel pusher and every owners manual probably says to warm it, perhaps it was their first trip, maybe they have a checklist that needs to be reordered, maybe they had an issue with their coach, any number of reasons for an idle time.
My 2 cents..

C&SL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Inconsiderate people are a problem whether they're driving a diesel pusher, riding a Harley, or blocking the left lane in their Prius. They're also the ones that scream the loudest when someone annoys them. There's no winning. The only solution is to ignore them or go somewhere else.
We were staying in the Shenandoah Valley. We got up at the crack of dawn and noticed the campground was full of deer. Within minutes a plethora of bikers cranked up their bikes with phallicly loud pipes and drove off all the wildlife. We had to listen to the noise for over an hour until the last of them left. DISGUSTING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Sounds like it's time for "gas only" campgrounds!
Or considerate ones and obnoxious ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
That's why they stay plugged in and pre-warmed Ready to Roll.
Now there's a thought!
Only if it's at freezing and you don't have a bay heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I read his post the same way. Basically, he said "I do what I want when I want. Get over it".
It would be nice if he posted his itinerary so others could avoid the places he frequents.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #148

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When you got to go you got to go... I usually crank up idle for about a few minutes while disconnecting and rolling up hoses and electrical lines ... I hook the toad up the nite before we leave .. Try to be quite as possible but we usually roll a little before daylight ... life is to short to waste high blood pressure on worrying about what an idiot did !
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookAtUSNow View Post
My 2 cents..
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #150

People, life is to short to worry about all the little inconveniences, everyone is not the same, and don't fit in with your way of thinking. Its their time out to, just like you. If I was worried about kids playing, dogs barking and people making noise at a campground, I would just stay home in my little gated community, to keep everyone out. But if I take a little longer than normal for me to get setup, I do go apologize to the campers around me. I am not out there to let every little thing bother me, just always be thankful we can enjoy the life!!!
Old 03-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #151
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This thread has wandered all over.

Bottom line, there's a difference between what you need to do, which no experienced RVr will have a problem with, and what you choose to do that may fall shy of the concept of "consideration for others".
GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #152

Agreed, life is too short to get worked up over your neighbors in campgrounds.

I believe the Eagles did a song a few years back that fits. "GET OVER IT"!!!
Old 03-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #153

Live and let live. The whole beauty of an RV or boat is that if you don't like it, move.

A fellow in a class A with the generator running pulled into the mile-long BLM and decided that the ideal spot was right next to us. The generator was still running when he left 24 hours later. We simply closed the windows on that side. Maybe he was a new owner and hadn't figured out what that noise was.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #154

Winnebago Owners Club
Good one, twelvevolt. I hope he figures it out before he stores the rig..

LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground