Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #155

You know you're someone special when the neighbors throw a party because you are leaving. Just how special is determined by whether the party held is on the day before or the day after.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #156

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
You know you're someone special when the neighbors throw a party because you are leaving. Just how special is determined by whether the party held is on the day before or the day after.
Excellent quote. I need to remember that one!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Both my truck and motor home manual say not to let the engine idle for an "extended" period of time.
I need to show that manual to my current neighbors. A bunch of oil field workers moved in and idle their diesel pickups for over 20 minutes before leaving in the morning, and then leave them idling when they get back in the evening until they go out for dinner. Fortunately I'm leaving in two days.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #158

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
I need to show that manual to my current neighbors. A bunch of oil field workers moved in and idle their diesel pickups for over 20 minutes before leaving in the morning, and then leave them idling when they get back in the evening until they go out for dinner. Fortunately I'm leaving in two days.

Geez, must be company pickup trucks and they're not paying for the fuel huh.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #159

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Idling in campground

Due to this post I asked at my PDI how long to let idle to air up, I was told 5 - 7 minutes
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #160

Some are not so humble, they want everyone to know what they have.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #161

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Some are not so humble, they want everyone to know what they have.

Yeah 10-4 on that. Truthfully, I would be ignorant, narcissistic, and foolish to think anyone should care what I have. If I owned the most expensive one of a kind custom coach ever built, it wouldn't mean I'm better than anyone else.

Best regards,
W.D.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Yeah 10-4 on that. Truthfully, I would be ignorant, narcissistic, and foolish to think anyone should care what I have. If I owned the most expensive one of a kind custom coach ever built, it wouldn't mean I'm better than anyone else.

Best regards,
W.D.
Nope, it would just mean that you were more in debt!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Geez, must be company pickup trucks and they're not paying for the fuel huh.
The irony is the worst offender is the owner of the company (a guy maybe in his 30s). Yesterday, he came back to the campground about 2:30pm, and after listening to his truck idle 20 ft from me for literally an hour, I left at 3:30pm.

I came back an hour later, and as I got out my truck to unload groceries, his truck remote started again. This time at least he left by the time i got the groceries put away.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #164

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Nope, it would just mean that you were more in debt!

Yeah perhaps. Even if it was paid for, wouldn't change anything.

Best regards,

W.D.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:08 AM   #165

Guy next to me fired up his DP at 7am on the nose, and fast idled for about how 10 minutes. He then pulled up 10 feet and hooked up the toad. Total time idling.... 31 minutes. Amount of suffering I had to endure... 0!!!

I just noticed him fire up and decided to time it since this thread had came up.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #166

Monaco Owners Club
When I come into camp, I usually shut the engine down (for example during check in) unless I just exited the freeway after a long climb. Then I'll let it idle to cool down the turbo, but that is seldom. If I do let it idle, I'll take advantage of that time and check the transmission oil level (using my transmission key pad, engine has to be running)

When I'm in camp, I usually drop the coach down as low as it will go and then level it. (I only have air levelers). When leaving, I pull in the slides before I fire up the engine. Once I do start the engine, I wait for the coach to air up to ride height and then pull out-5 to 10 mins max. By the time I work my way out of the CG, I do have engine and transmission temperature gauges climbing. I don't like to put a load on the engine/tranny (getting on the freeway) until I do have some needle movement on those gauges.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #167

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Howdy neighbor

Howdy neighbor,
Glad I ran into you today/tonight.

Listen - I am getting on the road early tomorrow (6am). I have to be in Timbuktu by noon and wanted to apologize in advance for running my darn engine so early but I have no choice. Darn thing has to warm up before I can drive it. I have my camp all packed tonight so I am limiting the amount of time that my stinky old beast will be idling and fuming your unit with my exhaust and noise.

Anyways, just wanted to give you a heads up. You might want to close your windows on the side facing me tonight 😀

I will get outta here as quick and quiet as I can.

If someone were to come to me with that I would appreciate it. Even if they don't I know they have their schedule and so be it. I guess I am trying to see the good in others and err on the side that these people aren't trying to be annoying - but accomplishing it anyways 😀

Now if I approach a neighbor to give them a heads up and they get upset - too dang bad! I will still try to get going as quick and quiet as I can.

Then again - I have only owned travel trailers so far and have no damn clue what I'm talkin about 😇

LOL
Jim
Old 09-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #168

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do all I can without the engine running on arrival and departure. I don't like to listen to it either.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground