Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #57

OK you folks made me actually time how long it takes to air up our (no air bag) Skoolie from 0 psi. to alarm off at idle.

At 75F, 2min 15sec.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #58

Quote "I exercised self-control and did not "spill the beans" that they could not possibly find two communities more different than the Boating world and the RV world."

The old saying in the boating world was - The natural progression was; Sailboat, Trawler, Motorhome, Nursing Home....

Old 03-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #59

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
OK you folks made me actually time how long it takes to air up our (no air bag) Skoolie from 0 psi. to alarm off at idle.

At 75F, 2min 15sec.
I would Not Run My Engine for 2 to 3 Min then hit the Interstate -Again Diesels need to run for at the very least is 15 to 30 Min. to Warm. Now you may do that with your Car with 5/30 Oil but, 15/40 takes time to thin.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #60

Thor Owners Club
I have to remind myself of this once in a while.

Every once in a while I have to remind myself of something my Pastor once told me many years ago when I was on a military assignment away from my family. It was a depressing time. But he said this. "A man complained he had no shoes, then he met a man who had no feet."

I never forgot that. Even in the troubled days we can have on the road or in a campground. It could be worse. There are those who would like to have a tent to camp in. Shoot, I have a luxury 5vr and a MH. and a lot of time on my hands to play with both of them.

Life is short..... and there are a lot of places for me to visit yet and fish to catch.. Happy camping! James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #61
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
An idling diesel engine produces barely enough heat to keep itself running - it'll NEVER produce enough to heat the coolant up to operating temps. It will also do damage to the engine as unburnt fuel washes the cylinder walls, removing the coating of oil that helps seal the cylinders. If the engine is not up to operating temperature then acids can form in the oil, causing more engine wear. A diesel engine will only get to operating temperature when it is under load. __________________
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion or a 2006 Ural Tourist
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612

Alan you are absolutely correct when speaking of the modern diesel engine. Cummins manual clearly states this, that it is damaging to idle the engine for extended periods of time. That would be time beyond what Chuck said regarding warming the oil. Even in doing that the manual and the Cummins techs state to do so at around 1100 rpm, not idle. The rpm is required to get pressure up for oil distribution. Incidentally, farm tractor engines are the same way, be it John Deere, Cummins, Cat or what ever. Otherwise you're wasting time and fuel, and hurting the engine. All of this takes 5 minutes, and you are aired up and jacks are up by this time too.

Now I know I'll probably catch hell for the 1100 rpm part (more noise). But one tries to be as considerate as possible, (just use common sense for pity's sake), oh I forgot....it's not that common. Anyway, I'm just merely describing the most recommended, efficient, and engine friendly way to prepare to roll from point of engine start.

Best regards,

W.D
Old 03-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #62
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Every once in a while I have to remind myself of something my Pastor once told me many years ago when I was on a military assignment away from my family. It was a depressing time. But he said this. "A man complained he had no shoes, then he met a man who had no feet."

I never forgot that. Even in the troubled days we can have on the road or in a campground. It could be worse. There are those who would like to have a tent to camp in. Shoot, I have a luxury 5vr and a MH. and a lot of time on my hands to play with both of them.

Life is short..... and there are a lot of places for me to visit yet and fish to catch.. Happy camping! James

And a big 10-4 on that James.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I do ALL those things with my engine OFF. Why can't you?

Engine off, drop the toad. Engine on, back into the spot, engine off. Plug in electric, then slides, jacks, and bookkeeping with engine off.

Some of us are required by manufacturer to have engine running while leveling and extending/retracting slides. That's why!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd75mac View Post
How about this guy in his DP. He arrived in the CG during dinner time, playing "Hey Look Me Over" through his outside speakers, as he paraded all around the CG. Then when ready to move on to the next location, he again paraded around the CG, blasting "On The Road Again". A real nice guy.

Wonder what he thought when he stopped for lunch and saw all those multicolored paint ball splotches all over the coach?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #65
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Some of us are required by manufacturer to have engine running while leveling and extending/retracting slides. That's why!

This is true. Add this to the air up jacks up oil pressure up procedure I spoke of a minute ago. This is a must for coaches such as my Ellipse. If I run the slides without engine running, the mechanisms and slide motors will be out of wack in no time.

Sorry folks, not meaning to get off topic and morph this into a technical thing.
Regards,
W.D.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Twenty minutes to me sounds fair when you have a DP and also need to air up.

Wow, our 15 year old coach airs up totally in about 2 (two) minutes! We do everything that we can like slides in, jacks up, whatever else needed before starting the engine. Caterpillar doesn't recommend extensive idling time on their engines, but what do they know? They just BUILT the engine! Any warm up that is needed is accomplished during my final walk around, and during the idle or slightly above idle engine speed departing the campground. "Some opinions may vary."
Old 03-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #67

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Wonder what he thought when he stopped for lunch and saw all those multicolored paint ball splotches all over the coach?
I would turn around and find You ! Trust Me !
My advice --Just be considerate of your Neighbors - Warm up accordingly and Hit the road, your Always going to get the abusive neighbor- it just happens!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #68
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post

He then played the song "Coat of Many Colors"

it gets worse
Old 03-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
He then played the song "Coat of Many Colors"

it gets worse

Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
The length of time my cat idles is in direct proportion to what my neighbors were doing the night before.

Tags
campground