Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
There was a recent post by a couple that just sold their trawler and purchased a Class A. They were looking for encouragement that they have made a decision that will be to their liking.

I exercised self-control and did not "spill the beans" that they could not possibly find two communities more different than the Boating world and the RV world.

RV World= exceptionally high irritability quotient

Boating World= live and let live community

RV World= staying in their units with a "leave me alone" signs pasted upon their foreheads

Boating World= wandering the dock and "welcome aboard" attitude towards all

RV World= taking the time and trouble to complain about virtually everything (how dare you start your engine sir!)

Boating World= hear an engine start early in the morning...jump out and see if they need any help with their lines

Boating World= placing value upon their vessels and therefore taking a lot of sting our of the depreciation factor

RV World= denigrating constantly the asking price for units in the used market and therefore bringing all market values down in an accelerated fashion.

If you have a severe reaction to diesel engine sounds or smells, it is best you stay out of campgrounds and marinas IMHO.

BRAVO!!!!

Couldnt agree more! Its a shame that all these folks "camp" haha......camp, really? They show up in whatever rig big or small and either lock themselves inside or setup two lawn chairs to watch whats going on and squawk about what everyone else is doing. I read posts about "how dare they knock on my door and how dare this and that. NO kids, NO campfires, too loud, too much drinking and on and on and on and on. Can you imagine having to live with these folks next door to your sticks and bricks home?! Seems to me they should lock themselves away in a condo facility somewhere and join a committee to put an end to something or other. Maybe become the swimming pool nazi, yelling at kids who jump in the pool. If you dont like being part of a group (which is what staying at an rv park is) then go boondock out it the desert somewhere. OH.....wait...... im sure someone will park too close to you there too. Your vacationing or retired, if im awoke by a door slamming or an engine idling, I sleep ten minutes longer. I'm pretty sure the ones doing the yacking probably have a few habits that just might annoy someone else. GET OVER IT!! Thinking back, I think your right......boaters do have more fun!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its amazing how all these law abiding, rule following, church going, considerate good folks will retaliate with such things as damage to private property and purposefully filling a strangers car with fumes when they just dont agree with someone or someone perhaps makes a momentary lapse of judgement. If this group was together out in the world and not online I wonder how long it would take to light the torches and get ready for a good ole fashion lynching! LOL! There he is!! Lets get em!!! idle that engine will ya? ahhh I crack myself up!!!

Old 03-18-2016, 02:05 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
An idling diesel engine produces barely enough heat to keep itself running - it'll NEVER produce enough to heat the coolant up to operating temps. It will also do damage to the engine as unburnt fuel washes the cylinder walls, removing the coating of oil that helps seal the cylinders. If the engine is not up to operating temperature then acids can form in the oil, causing more engine wear. A diesel engine will only get to operating temperature when it is under load. __________________
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion or a 2006 Ural Tourist
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612

Alan you are absolutely correct when speaking of the modern diesel engine. Cummins manual clearly states this, that it is damaging to idle the engine for extended periods of time. That would be time beyond what Chuck said regarding warming the oil. Even in doing that the manual and the Cummins techs state to do so at around 1100 rpm, not idle. The rpm is required to get pressure up for oil distribution. Incidentally, farm tractor engines are the same way, be it John Deere, Cummins, Cat or what ever. Otherwise you're wasting time and fuel, and hurting the engine. All of this takes 5 minutes, and you are aired up and jacks are up by this time too.

Now I know I'll probably catch hell for the 1100 rpm part (more noise). But one tries to be as considerate as possible, (just use common sense for pity's sake), oh I forgot....it's not that common. Anyway, I'm just merely describing the most recommended, efficient, and engine friendly way to prepare to roll from point of engine start.

Best regards,

W.D
That's right, extended idling is one of the worst things you can do to your engine. As stated earlier, "some people don't have a clue". If you have to idle "fast idle" is how you do it. Most coaches have a fast idle setting. Check your manual or get in touch with your chassis maker. When idling, do it wisely. Most of all have fun out there.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
AAGGGHHH. Wish I had never subscribed to this thread.

Only rarely do I have a neighbor who does this. Well, at 6:30 this morning my world changed...now at 20 minutes.and counting.

Was thinking, we leave tomorrow, looks like they and the grandkids are here for a while. Get even time!

Nope, the folks on the other side have nothing, they deserve better.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:11 AM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whats the odds? LOL
Old 03-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're new to the DP Motorcoach life. While I don't want to be a nuisance to my neighbors...I do understand the need to run the motor for obvious reasons. As others have stated...airing up for pulling in the slides, as is recommended by some coach manufacturers. I find it interesting...or maybe not so interesting...nobody mentioned doing the air brake system checks. It's certainly recommended in the freightliner manual amongst the daily checks. The RV safety institute recommends doing it daily. (By daily, I mean before going on the road...not daily when stopped for a week in a campground.) While I don't idle my engine long...it's usually off and on a number of times while checking the governor, alarm cutouts, reserve test, recovery test, leak tests... If my brake system needs attention --- it's probably a good idea to find that out before pointing 37,000# at someone or something while going 65mph down the road.

I understand the original rub...as it really isn't necessary to idle while disconnecting from the utilities, or connecting the toad...that's excessive for sure. I'd like to hope that my practices, however, aren't offensive to anyone.

I'll admit that I have on two occasions felt very upset by the actions of other campers. Once was a weekend night on Tybee Island. Instead of a campfire...it was more like a bonfire. And the out of tune singing at the top of their well intoxicated lungs went on well past midnight. The other was a still night in South Carolina with a temperature inversion...the neighboring camp had kids melting milk jugs by campfire. Due to the conditions...the smoke from this didn't rise...it traveled horizontally in a thick mass blanketing the entire area. We were practically gagging on the smoke inside our 5th wheel with doors and windows closed and a/c running. Oh well...people do silly things.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I'll admit that I have on two occasions felt very upset by the actions of other campers. Once was a weekend night on Tybee Island. Instead of a campfire...it was more like a bonfire. And the out of tune singing at the top of their well intoxicated lungs went on well past midnight. The other was a still night in South Carolina with a temperature inversion...the neighboring camp had kids melting milk jugs by campfire. Due to the conditions...the smoke from this didn't rise...it traveled horizontally in a thick mass blanketing the entire area. We were practically gagging on the smoke inside our 5th wheel with doors and windows closed and a/c running. Oh well...people do silly things.
I don't feel like those are frivolous complaints like I see from some on here. The drunken singers I've ran into on more than one occasion and although it doesn't bother me I could see how it might others. Normally I want to go join them. The milk jugs are just ignorant parents. Kids don't know any better but the parents should. My kids know there are only 3 things that go into a campfire....wood, hotdogs, and marshmellows.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #78
JSW

My key has to be off to pull in my slides, after that I start my engine. Next I disconnect the electric, the water hose, and the slinky. Once my air bags are fully inflated and my air system has purged, I can pull out. Altogether this takes about 25 minutes but the engine only has to idle about 10-12 minutes. Everybody's process is just a little bit different and some air systems take more time than mine. Also, I usually can connect my toad before I start the process but, some spaces are not long enough for that. In that case I have to pull out and then connect the toad. All part of the fun of motor homing!
Old 03-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #79

Everyone has "there" routine!

For me, my coach might run 4 minutes before I leave a RV park. I always make sure the block heater is on a few hours before leaving too.

One thing that I do, is to visit with other RVer's. I have learned and have taught them too through our conversations. And this very subject has come up a few times and surprisingly many of them feel you have to run the coach for 20 minutes or more.

I watch fellow RVer take 20 minute to hook up his toad one morning after the coach had been running for 20 minutes. I went over to help a little and he said I don't like smelling diesel while I’m hooking the toad up. And i said why you don’t turn if off then. He laughs and said "DA"! It was as simple as that.

I do believe there is a way to help people in a constructive non criticizing way too. I know that many have helped me this way. And I hope to do the same in return.

Trust me, I have made many mistakes and if I can help anyone to not do the same I will!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
well....guess I can add this to the list of things that bother campers.
List so far:
people with Lights
people with music
people with dogs
people with kids
people with fires to big
people with fires to smokey
people riding golf carts
people riding bikes
people talking
people walking
people running
people eating
people drinking
people cooking
people driving too fast through campgrounds
people driving too slow through campgrounds
people with old beat up rv's
people with new fancy rv's
people up too early
people up too late
people arriving too early to campsite
people arriving too late to campsite
people with too much stuff
people with not enough stuff
and now people idling their rv too long
I'm sure idling their rv not long enough will come up eventually.

Makes me wonder why most campers even want to go. There's just too many people out there living their lives in close proximity to them.
AND... if you stay at WalMart to escape all that stuff, that's wrong too.
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #81

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
That was great reading.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I would Not Run My Engine for 2 to 3 Min then hit the Interstate -Again Diesels need to run for at the very least is 15 to 30 Min. to Warm. Now you may do that with your Car with 5/30 Oil but, 15/40 takes time to thin.

Old, outdated and wrong information.

Pick up a Cummins manual some time. There is absolutely no need to "warm up" a diesel for 15 to 30 minutes!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Old, outdated and wrong information.

Pick up a Cummins manual some time. There is absolutely no need to "warm up" a diesel for 15 to 30 minutes!
I agree 15-30 minutes is excessive but diesels in general don't like being cold so you do want them somewhat warm before driving them. The duramax for example has aluminum heads and a cast iron block. Those metals expand at different rates and there's some question as to whether driving them cold may contribute to early head gasket failure.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:30 AM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe it's just me, but I don't find todays modern RV diesels to be that loud or have the obnoxious fumes the older ones seem to have.

The big dually with the big diesel with the big exhaust is a whole 'nother story though. They get my attention early in the morning when they crank up. Of course then I just roll over and go back to bed. Snuggle with DW or get upset? I always pick the snuggling :-).

Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground