Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
well....guess I can add this to the list of things that bother campers.
List so far:
people with Lights
people with music
people with dogs
people with kids
people with fires to big
people with fires to smokey
people riding golf carts
people riding bikes
people talking
people walking
people running
people eating
people drinking
people cooking
people driving too fast through campgrounds
people driving too slow through campgrounds
people with old beat up rv's
people with new fancy rv's
people up too early
people up too late
people arriving too early to campsite
people arriving too late to campsite
people with too much stuff
people with not enough stuff
and now people idling their rv too long
I'm sure idling their rv not long enough will come up eventually.

Makes me wonder why most campers even want to go. There's just too many people out there living their lives in close proximity to them.
There was a recent post by a couple that just sold their trawler and purchased a Class A. They were looking for encouragement that they have made a decision that will be to their liking.

I exercised self-control and did not "spill the beans" that they could not possibly find two communities more different than the Boating world and the RV world.

RV World= exceptionally high irritability quotient

Boating World= live and let live community

RV World= staying in their units with a "leave me alone" signs pasted upon their foreheads

Boating World= wandering the dock and "welcome aboard" attitude towards all

RV World= taking the time and trouble to complain about virtually everything (how dare you start your engine sir!)

Boating World= hear an engine start early in the morning...jump out and see if they need any help with their lines

Boating World= placing value upon their vessels and therefore taking a lot of sting our of the depreciation factor

RV World= denigrating constantly the asking price for units in the used market and therefore bringing all market values down in an accelerated fashion.

If you have a severe reaction to diesel engine sounds or smells, it is best you stay out of campgrounds and marinas IMHO.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our American Coach has to be running to retract the slides and jacks, but I'll have everything else put away and ready to travel before we do so. I'd guess 10 minutes from start to pulling off the site is average.

As for the comparison between boating and RVing, I'll take some exception. Occasionally someone will ask why we like the RV lifestyle. My response has always been the same. Besides the travel opportunity we like the congenial attitude we find in most campgrounds and RV parks. Everyone there is either on vacation or retired, they're in a good mood. There are always exceptions, but in general. I do think that as the community grows there are more that need "educating" as to what is needed and acceptable, but I still think they are in the minority, accepting that the exception can be a real PITA.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Our American Coach has to be running to retract the slides and jacks, but I'll have everything else put away and ready to travel before we do so. I'd guess 10 minutes from start to pulling off the site is average.

As for the comparison between boating and RVing, I'll take some exception. Occasionally someone will ask why we like the RV lifestyle. My response has always been the same. Besides the travel opportunity we like the congenial attitude we find in most campgrounds and RV parks. Everyone there is either on vacation or retired, they're in a good mood. There are always exceptions, but in general. I do think that as the community grows there are more that need "educating" as to what is needed and acceptable, but I still think they are in the minority, accepting that the exception can be a real PITA.
There are extremes in everything we do and see in life. RVing is no exception. Met a large number of very friendly people willing to help, share, talk and so forth. Met a smaller number of rude, even very rude people. The rude people don't care and don't want to be "educated" because they are always right and they could not care less about anyone else.
I therefore keep to myself. If you come up to me I'll be more than happy to chat, share a cocktail or some sugar. I decided a while ago it is not worth it to approach people about something that I think is inappropriate or rude.
If that diesel is running then I can just crank up some music inside by the Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want and trust me I will not hear their rudeness anymore. Gotta love the 400w stereo and Bose speakers in such a small space...
Old 03-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
well....guess I can add this to the list of things that bother campers.
List so far:
people with Lights
people with music
people with dogs
people with kids
people with fires to big
people with fires to smokey
people riding golf carts
people riding bikes
people talking
people walking
people running
people eating
people drinking
people cooking
people driving too fast through campgrounds
people driving too slow through campgrounds
people with old beat up rv's
people with new fancy rv's
people up too early
people up too late
people arriving too early to campsite
people arriving too late to campsite
people with too much stuff
people with not enough stuff
and now people idling their rv too long
I'm sure idling their rv not long enough will come up eventually.

Makes me wonder why most campers even want to go. There's just too many people out there living their lives in close proximity to them.
You forgot breathing. Other people using up all my air.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #47

I can relate how friendly boating people can be. One New Years Eve many years ago, we were anchored in a bay on the St James river in Florida. It was after dark and my wife needed sugar to make a Danish pastry called kringler. There was another houseboat across the bay, so I rowed over in the dingy, knocked on their door and asked if they could spare some sugar. They were surprised to hear a knock on their door in alligator infested waters and we all had a good laugh. They were happy to share some sugar. I rowed back and we made kringler. I then took some to them. They had never tasted it before and wanted the recipe. We never got their names, but I bet they retold that event several times when recalling one New Years Eve.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post

RV World= exceptionally high irritability quotient

Boating World= live and let live community

RV World= staying in their units with a "leave me alone" signs pasted upon their foreheads

Boating World= wandering the dock and "welcome aboard" attitude towards all

RV World= taking the time and trouble to complain about virtually everything (how dare you start your engine sir!)

Boating World= hear an engine start early in the morning...jump out and see if they need any help with their lines

Boating World= placing value upon their vessels and therefore taking a lot of sting our of the depreciation factor

RV World= denigrating constantly the asking price for units in the used market and therefore bringing all market values down in an accelerated fashion.

If you have a severe reaction to diesel engine sounds or smells, it is best you stay out of campgrounds and marinas IMHO.
We have had a 42' Sea Ray for about 8 years. You nailed the differences in the communities! This perfectly describes our experience so far.
Skeetobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:01 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I live in both worlds (+sticks and bricks). The comparison is spot on. Have a 42' Californian in San Diego. Life is good. But there are always issues around the Marina. Sometimes can be a little Peyton Place if you know what I mean.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:17 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
I live in both worlds (+sticks and bricks). The comparison is spot on. Have a 42' Californian in San Diego. Life is good. But there are always issues around the Marina. Sometimes can be a little Peyton Place if you know what I mean.
I owned a 42" Grand Banks Europa Trawler. I can relate to the Peyton Place. So far I have found both communities to be very friendly and willing to help. This forum is a great example of that. I was a regular on the Grand Banks Forum and they were great helping other members with troubleshooting their boat issues just like this forum.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:55 AM   #51

We come across all kinds in RV land. Some that honestly don't have a clue and some that are rude. One simple rule for everyone to follow is: "just be polite and considerate to others". If you are being overcome by the exhaust, talk to the driver and let him know. Easy does it.
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:13 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by trux View Post
We come across all kinds in RV land. Some that honestly don't have a clue and some that are rude. One simple rule for everyone to follow is: "just be polite and considerate to others". If you are being overcome by the exhaust, talk to the driver and let him know. Easy does it.
Ya Right, tell that to the people that leave their rigs idling at the pumps.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #53

I am guilty of leaving my generator running with the exhaust blowing into the open window of a car that was parked in the RV lanes at Cracker Barrel while we went in to eat.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #54

Right now, I've been watching a couple for 30 minutes so. They pulled in (pull-thru site), unhitched the toad, dug through storage to find the hoses and other stuff, hooked up the water, electricity, cable, etc. They still haven't put the jacks down yet, or the slides out, and of course, the engine is still idling.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
I am guilty of leaving my generator running with the exhaust blowing into the open window of a car that was parked in the RV lanes at Cracker Barrel while we went in to eat.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

Thanks for the idea. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Thanks for the idea. (-:

Easier than what he deserved... (and and legal too).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground