Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #127

Ok, here is my deal.

I don't have an issue with diesels running for 10 minutes or so while putting in slides and raising jacks and waiting for air pressure to build when leaving, or putting out slides and extending jacks when arriving. I get all that.
It takes me 5 minutes or so to put in slides, raise jacks, put the pads away and do a walk-around to make sure I haven't left or forgotten anything. Then do the walk-around again. Same when I arrive, about 5 minutes to put the pads out, jacks down and slides out.
What chaps my butt is when the diesel guy pulls in next to me and leaves it running after the jacks are down and slides out, then he hooks up the H2O, sewer and electricity (while it's still running) and then he goes to visit with this traveling companions a few spaces down (again leaving it running). The sewer, H2O, etc. can be hooked up after it's shut down, which is what I do.
Same goes for departing, the diesel guy fires it up at O-God thirty in the morning and goes about unhooking H2O, sewer, electricity, etc. (while it's running). Then he farts around for another 30 minutes or so visiting, etc. before pulling in the slides and raising the jacks. Then he just sits there for another 10 minutes or so doing who knows what (figuring out the GPS)?

A little consideration for your fellow travelers is all it takes.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #128

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Then complain when you have to replace your starter, turbo, batteries, relays, etc. The fuel burned is cheap!
That's absurd. One additional start per trip is not going to burn up my starter, batteries, turbo or relays. This thread is not about use of fuel, either. It is about not running your engine in the campground when not neccesary, and not gassing people or disturbing their peaceful enjoyment. It is about being polite to your neighbors.

Some people have articulated bona fide reasons for running their engine. Some have done just the opposite.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
What ever time it take you to close up your Coach, per the manufactures instructions..........is acceptable. If you start it and are standing around visiting.............is when the problems starts.
I do everything I can to be ready to start it,air it up, jacks up, and a quick final walk around, and start rolling out......if I want to run it a bit more......I do this out towards the exit of the campground/resort.
My water, sewage hose, TV cable, electric cord, chairs, awning, etc..........are all put away before I start the engine.

Perfect!

Wouldn't mind having you stay next to me anytime.

I do the same as you, but with a gas coach.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #130

This thread, when originated, really didn't have anything to do with how late people sleep in or how early you should start your engine, but as many threads do it morphed to this. The bottom line of the thread whether you have a diesel or gas MH just be considerate of others, and doing so isn't dependent on age, if your working or retired, or how big/small your rig is. I think it's really easy to spot the ones that only care about their needs and are probably that way in all areas of their life, not just when RV'ing. So do what you got do to get your rigs ready, but show consideration while doing so. Pretty simple idea we all should follow.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #131

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
This entire thread is priceless........
Or maybe worthless too!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #132

So what ever happened to politely observing quiet hours?

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #133

With our dual pane windows, and insulation that came with our coach, I would be hard pressed for someone idling their diesel in the spot next to me to wake me up in the morning!

If I were sleeping with windows open, I guess it would be a different matter. Life is too short to get upset over inconsiderate people, just relax and enjoy the scenery! It'll help your blood pressure in the long run.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
So what ever happened to politely observing quiet hours?

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

As you will see from reading this thread, even when you observe the quiet hours you can be ridiculed for not doing it correctly (sorry.... I mean for not doing it exactly like your neighbor thinks you should).
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #135

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I really try to limit my idle time when breaking camp and constantly ask myself "can I do this task with the engine off?"
My issue with my particular coach is that I can only move the slides in and out with the coach at ride height.... Fully aired up.
So my decision is do I start it, let it idle and slowly air up, or do I start it, bring it to fast idle, (which makes more noise) to air it up much quicker.... And be able to turn it off quicker?
I can do all other tasks, including the leveling jacks, with the engine off but I cannot move the slides in or out without inflating the suspension to ride height... This includes some idle time.... No way around it.
If we are just making a quick overnight stop and leaving early the next morning, (still have to work for a living) I will evaluate if I need to dump my air or not so I can leave with less idle time the next morning... Whether I can do this or not sometimes depends on how level my spot is.....
I think that sometimes people that have no experience with air suspensions think us "smelly diesel exhaust" people just idle for no reason.... I think most responsible diesel owners do not idle excessively.

Thank you for your time, Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
...idling is very bad for my Detroit 6V92 two stroke motor as it can cause irreversible damage due to "wet stacking" of the cylinders.
Wet stacking is, indeed, an issue with 4 strokes as well, and I mentioned it in my earlier response - when a diesel engine idles it generates enough heat to support combustion but very little excess to warm things up. As a result when the fuel gets injected into the cylinder it can, and does, condense on the (relatively) cool cylinder wall. This causes different issues: the raw fuel tends to dilute the thin film of oil on the cylinder wall, causing excessive wear; the raw fuel also leaks past the rings and falls into the oil sump, diluting the lubricating oil. And, more rarely, the rings seal the cylinder well enough that the fuel condenses and builds up in the cylinder, causing catastrophic failure when the cylinder fills with liquid fuel. That last issue is rare, but when it occurs it's not pretty!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:06 AM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Wet stacking is, indeed, an issue with 4 strokes as well, and I mentioned it in my earlier response - when a diesel engine idles it generates enough heat to support combustion but very little excess to warm things up. As a result when the fuel gets injected into the cylinder it can, and does, condense on the (relatively) cool cylinder wall. This causes different issues: the raw fuel tends to dilute the thin film of oil on the cylinder wall, causing excessive wear; the raw fuel also leaks past the rings and falls into the oil sump, diluting the lubricating oil. And, more rarely, the rings seal the cylinder well enough that the fuel condenses and builds up in the cylinder, causing catastrophic failure when the cylinder fills with liquid fuel. That last issue is rare, but when it occurs it's not pretty!
Both my truck and motor home manual say not to let the engine idle for an "extended" period of time. Having the oil wash off the cylinder walls is exactly what my Cummins manual says will happen if the engine idles for an extended time. Neither the truck or motor home manual defines "extended" period of time. The longest I will let mine idle is the time it takes to build up air pressure before taking off, otherwise if it's going to idle for more than a couple minutes I turn it off.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
That's absurd. One additional start per trip is not going to burn up my starter, batteries, turbo or relays. This thread is not about use of fuel, either. It is about not running your engine in the campground when not neccesary, and not gassing people or disturbing their peaceful enjoyment. It is about being polite to your neighbors.

Some people have articulated bona fide reasons for running their engine. Some have done just the opposite.
Did I state that one extra start would burn those parts up?
Old 03-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #139

Some of these comments are hilarious and childish. There are people that could care less about how their actions affect others and nothing said here is going to change them. That is probably how they are in their non-camping life as well. Then there are people who are considerate of their campsite those around them. They are probably the same way in their everyday life. It's just natural for them to be considerate of others no matter where they are. They are the type of people I want around me. Fortunately, in our travels, we have met more of the "good neighbors". When we encounter the guy who doesn't care how long he runs is engine needlessly or how much noise he makes , we try to ignore him and move on. Nothing I could do or say will change him and he isn't worth the effort to try.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #140

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Old, outdated and wrong information.

Pick up a Cummins manual some time. There is absolutely no need to "warm up" a diesel for 15 to 30 minutes!
I agree!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground