Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

Idling in campground

I won't beat a dead horse about the neighbor who starts their DP at 6:45am and lets it idle for 20 or so minutes, but got me wondering. Is there a valid reason for this long of a warm up with a Diesel engine when the outside temp is in the low 60's?Is this a throwback to a time when this was necessary? Any benefit?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #2

6:45am.. they must be on a mission.... We usually get started about 9am. idle long enough to get the airbags inflated and move out.. waste of fuel to just sit there doing nothing.. just my humble opinion

HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
At most it takes me about 10 minutes to air the system up, bring in the slides, and raise the jacks. Any more then that is just stupid IMO.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #4

On our last trip this guys pulls his diesel MH in front of our spot, leaves it idling, unhooks his toad, then inspects the Toad, had about a 15 minute conversation with his wife. Then they drive off in the Toad, leaving their MH Idling, over two rows and start inspecting their spot. After chatting for another 15-20 minutes and then talking to some other Campers, they drive back in the Toad, unload some stuff from the Toad into the MH, and then drive off to their spot.

This whole time (about 45 minutes total) we were trying to eat dinner, with his exhaust blowing towards us, and the clanky sound of his diesel engine. I think that is just plain rude, and he obviously didn't want to upset the people he was going to be camping next to as he could have done all this in front of his spot two rows away. I'm sure they had a reason, some people can justify anything they do.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
On our last trip this guys pulls his diesel MH in front of our spot, leaves it idling, unhooks his toad, then inspects the Toad, had about a 15 minute conversation with his wife. Then they drive off in the Toad, leaving their MH Idling, over two rows and start inspecting their spot. After chatting for another 15-20 minutes and then talking to some other Campers, they drive back in the Toad, unload some stuff from the Toad into the MH, and then drive off to their spot.

This whole time (about 45 minutes total) we were trying to eat dinner, with his exhaust blowing towards us, and the clanky sound of his diesel engine. I think that is just plain rude, and he obviously didn't want to upset the people he was going to be camping next to as he could have done all this in front of his spot two rows away. I'm sure they had a reason, some people can justify anything they do.

Yep...that was very rude! I drive a DP. We have a full wall slide Newmar, so the process of decamping is a bit different. We do everything that we can before starting the engine. That includes bringing in our non-full wall slides and retracting our jacks. The last things that we do are air up (diesel running), retract the FWS, then roll in the 50a cable, then hit the road. I think that 10 minutes, as stated by another, is about it for me.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:07 PM   #6

It's not always the DP driver that's rude. I had a 600 mile drive to complete in a day and started my DP up, pulled is slides, aired-up and pulled out at max 5-7 minutes. My plan was to pull down the hill to the store to hookup my car and dolly so not to disrupt my fellow campers. It was around 8:00am. The lady next door came out and made some smart comments to my DW, I was not aware until we were down the hill. IF I HEARD HER I WOULD STILL BE HOOKING UP!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post

I think after about 10 minutes I would have gone out and said something to the guy.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #8

Even though we have a gas engine we do everything we can before we start the engine, or park it as quickly as possible, and do our best to minimize bothering others too. This guy wasn't the norm for most of the people we have been around in CG's.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I think after about 10 minutes I would have gone out and said something to the guy.
I probably should have, but my wife said maybe they are new to this and are just being cautious. I didn't say anything, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized he knew what he was doing and just didn't want to upset the people he was camping near.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #10

Either they were completely oblivious or just didn't give a crap. Hard to tell which sometimes
Old 03-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
How about this guy in his DP. He arrived in the CG during dinner time, playing "Hey Look Me Over" through his outside speakers, as he paraded all around the CG. Then when ready to move on to the next location, he again paraded around the CG, blasting "On The Road Again". A real nice guy.

sigpic160806_2.gif
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #12

Our gas coach has a full body slide. Owner's manual says that the engine should be on when it is being moved. I don't retract the jacks until after all 3 slides are in. That does require the engine to be idling a little longer than most would expect with a gas coach, but I do it as quickly as possible. So it's not just the diesels.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #13

I read the first post different than you guys.....I read it to mean he's not leaving but just idling his MH in the mornings. I was going to guess to charge batteries?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe 10 minutes for us. Never really timed it. But do all that can be done without engine running before firing it up.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground