Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2015, 06:01 AM   #127

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I run mine till I'm done traveling for the day , weather it's a lunch break or fuel stop.. Thats why I have a high idle setting on it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #128

Winnebago Owners Club
This has been a very interesting thread.

It appears there are two camps. One group thinks the manufacturer recommendations should be followed. The other group quotes subjective data from personal experience that contradicts the manufacturer.

Interesting to say the least.

Reminds me a bit about listening to the doctor. Doctor says you have to quit smoking and drinking or you will die. One guy quits and still dies. Did he live longer? Other guy does not quit and seems to live forever. Would he have lived longer if he had quit? ??????

We can idle or not to our hearts content. What will happen will happen and we will have to pay for it. Unless we dump it on a dealer.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #129

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Unless we dump it on a dealer.
That is the mouthful right there. I will operate by the manual until the end of my warranty at a minimum. Much easier to "dump" on the dealer when you can say that you followed the instructions.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #130
laj

really simple formula for me. when i look at a used diesel no matter what its in i pull the history off the ecm. no idle time no buy, period. i have a formula that tells me according to hrs. and miles what that should be. very easy.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #131

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
really simple formula for me. when i look at a used diesel no matter what its in i pull the history off the ecm. no idle time no buy, period. i have a formula that tells me according to hrs. and miles what that should be. very easy.
Really interesting! How do you pull the history off the ECM? Would you please share your formula for those of us that would find this a great tool when purchasing used.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #132

Quote:
Why would you require your coach to have idle time in its history?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #133

Newmar Owners Club
When a Cummins Tech hooks up to the ECM with his laptop with the Cummins "Insite" program, he can see just about everything the engine has done when running, and I mean everything!
Old 02-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #134
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
When a Cummins Tech hooks up to the ECM with his laptop with the Cummins "Insite" program, he can see just about everything the engine has done when running, and I mean everything!

exactly what he said. you can find out how much fuel its burned, what milage it has gotten, how much idle time, which roughly can determine has it been properly cooled down.
lots to learn by doing it.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #135
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Why would you require your coach to have idle time in its history?

i don't want to be buying turbo's, pistons, rolling a set of bearings in, or a premature engine in frame to the tune of about 20k. or more.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #136

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
exactly what he said. you can find out how much fuel its burned, what milage it has gotten, how much idle time, which roughly can determine has it been properly cooled down.
lots to learn by doing it.
And while hooked up, personalize the ECM to your driving habits/needs. The ECM is set at factory defaults and works with the Transmission control module, and one can personalize how their engine brake works, and how it shifts..............Most just buy and drive.........and live with the factory settings...........Mostly due to lack of knowledge that changes can be made.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #137
laj

excellent point!
Old 02-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #138

Some drivers dont let their coaches cool down but might idle at other times. Good luck with the math after reading the ecm trying to decide when the engine was idled. If the ecm shows many hours of idling I would take that as a negative.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #139

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Some drivers dont let their coaches cool down but might idle at other times. Good luck with the math after reading the ecm trying to decide when the engine was idled. If the ecm shows many hours of idling I would take that as a negative.

Same here. I would consider the motor operating at below optimum operating temps, washing the cylinder walls down with fuel, excessive carbon build up and on and on.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
Surely you guys realize that the entire run is recorded. Everything that you can monitor on the dash and more is recorded. Things like operating temp, vehicle speed, rpms, warm up time, cool down time, exhaust gas temp, among lots others.

It's all time stamped so they can profile your every use from key on to key off.

Tags
diesel, fuel