Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #197

No, Elvis fried his in butter! That was one of the things that killed him.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #198

I let mine run if I'm only getting fuel. Call me crazy but I'm a diesel nut and usually walk to the back of the rig just to hear that big cat purr.

bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #199

Let her run

I'm not going to shut mine down unless i'm stopping for the nite.no need to start and restart.hard on batteries and starters
Old 02-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #200

But al gore said all that idling is going to enhance climate change so global warming will keep the north all warm and cozy which will in turn force Florida into bankruptcy because the snowbirds are staying put.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #201

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
But al gore said all that idling is going to enhance climate change so global warming will keep the north all warm and cozy which will in turn force Florida into bankruptcy because the snowbirds are staying put.
Trust me, we wont miss them.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #202

I know this has been beaten to death but.....

I pulled up the service manual for my CAT C13 and this is what it says:

"Stopping the engine immediately after it has been working under load can result in overheatin and accelerated wear of the engine components.

If the engine has been operating at high rpm and/or high loads including highway speeds, run at low idle for at least 3 minutes to reduce and stabilize internal engine temperature before stopping engine.

Avoiding hot engine shutdowns will maximize turbocharger shaft and bearing life."

For this reason I just let it idle while I am filling it up. When I finish and pull forward to go in and pay I will shut it off if there isn't anyone else in the motorhome with me othewise I will just let it idle.

JMHO,
Steve
Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #203

I am a retired OTR driver. By the time you get off the road and into a fueling spot the engine and turbo has had adequate time to cool off. If you notice all the big rigs have shut their engines off.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #204

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Didn't they teach you in school. Turn off the key, pop open the hood, and after pumping the fuel check your oil dip stick. Visual inspection of the oil on the dip stick can warn and tell you of potential problems besides a low oil level.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #205

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Didn't they teach you in school. Turn off the key, pop open the hood, and after pumping the fuel check your oil dip stick. Visual inspection of the oil on the dip stick can warn and tell you of potential problems besides a low oil level.
Oh my...I am sure they also taught to read everything before spewing a random comment.

To be an issue you would have to burn one hell of a lot of oil, additionally, who is going to be able to analyze their oil with a simple visual inspection, heck new oil in a DP "looks" like it needs changing after the first startup!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #206

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramichi View Post
To be an issue you would have to burn one hell of a lot of oil, additionally, who is going to be able to analyze their oil with a simple visual inspection, heck new oil in a DP "looks" like it needs changing after the first startup!
Said Inspection - Not analysis: Oil that has a burnt smell or is foamy like chocolate is trouble.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #207

Monaco Owners Club
So you pull in and shut it down, fuel up, and then check the oil. Sounds fine if all you want to check is the level. But checking for burnt smells is a waste of time.

When you shut the motor down, the oil pump stopped pumping and that drop in pressure left oil in the turbo housing. It's that oil that cokes, and it's that oil you cant test with the dip stick. Unless of course your dipstick extends into the turbo.

Not to mention the amount of "scent" added by blowby. Diesels dilute their oil so much from blowby gasses that they run 5-6+ gallons of it just to keep the viscosity up.

Tags
diesel, fuel