Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-31-2015, 10:10 PM   #15
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
for the most part I have likely just left the highway and I'm not convinced that everything has had enough time to cool down when I get to the pumps so I let her idle for the time it take to re fuel, typically we fuel up at the end of the day and are likely parking for the night so a few extra minutes of idling to make sure everything cools down and oil keep flowing while that happens cant hurt

I agree 100%..When i was driving a diesel i only shut down if i was going to be stoped hour or more

rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 10:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Cummins says to let their engines idle 3-5 minutes after immediately exiting an interstate or heavy pulling. I don't know anyone who can exit a freeway/interstate, drive to a fuel station, pull up to a fuel pump, stop, and remove their seatbelt in less time than that.
I shut my engine off.

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:28 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have done both. If I am in the desert heat or on a climb, I leave it running, otherwise I shut it off. The cool down is to let the oil passage on the turbo get cool enough so the oil does not cook when you shut it down and the air circulation stops.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 PM   #18
Entegra Owners Club
X2. In general, idling wastes fuel, spews pollution, and can be a fire hazard. When the engine has been working exceptionally hard, that is the exception when 3-5 minutes can be beneficial to cool the turbo. Beyond that, see first sentence.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:25 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
I got jumped all over the last time I mentioned this but I'll take another chance. When I started working for a big transit agency in the 70s, all the buses had 2-stroke Detroits and we were instructed to keep them idling (at high idle) if leaving them for anything less than about ten minutes. Today, (and at the time I retired ten years ago) most of the buses have Cummins and they now instuct drivers to turn the engine off IMMEDIATELY when stopping at a terminal or layover even when coming off the freeway, etc. (wasting fuel, polution, noise, etc. being the reason).

When I asked a friend of mine who is a senior mechanic at the agency if this hurts the engine to shut it off without letting the turbo wind down and cool for the 3-minutes or so, he told me it does not hurt the engine at all and went on to explain that Cummins says to do that more for CYA. He claims that modern diesels do not need a cool-down period. I was jumped on because a lot of you said that a public transit agency doesn't give a darn about maintaining their equipment or how much it's going to cost them in the long-run so of course they are going to say shut the engine down immediately. It's arguable if a public transit agency really doesn't care about costs or how many times they need to overhaul their engines but it isn't the point here.

No matter, I still let my own DP engine idle for a minute or two before I shut it down. It just feels better to do it.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:17 AM   #20
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
More cooling cycles for exhaust manifold, more starter cycles, and more engine starts with no oil pressure...let her run!

absolutely agree! they don't give turbo's away. i spend less then 15 min. start to finish fueling. might burn a cup of fuel in that time, cheap.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #21
I leave mine on. No reason not to. I won't be using much fuel as it idles.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:35 AM   #22
Professional Trucking

Those who use the truckers area, see if the professionals leave their trucks running while refueling, then you'll have your answer.

2014 ShowHauler 45'
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
brunsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:57 AM   #23
first there is a mix, some do, others don't.
you'll have their individual answer, not yours. everyone makes the decision for themselves. it's your mh, use it the way you want.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:08 AM   #24
If you have a def engine it needs to be cut off, Idle for long periods is a no no per Cummings.
2016 Entegra Cornerstone
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:20 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Shut it down.

Especially important for DEF engines.
Yes, especially DEF engines. Read Cummins Operating instructions they say let it cool down even coming off the interstates and reducing speed for several minutes does the job. HOWEVER, not while high temp. You'll toast your turbo it only takes one time.
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Having experienced a "no start" at a truck stop fuel island once, I keep it running while fueling. I'll shut down everywhere else though.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:54 AM   #27
If refueling I shut it down if pee break I let it run.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Its your engine and your money.....

There are divided opinion's here ,as there has been before on this subject.........Any engine manufacture is "NOT" going to print a manual and tell the owner to let the engine idle...........Federal law states 5 minutes So much for that chapter in the "Bible" As for the new DEF engine's........nothing different with the engine running.........Most all the new semi's still run over night to keep the driver's warm/cool, most, on high idle. With this in mind now we can talk about the word "Idle" , mine never idles,(As most all big truck's) when mine is left to run, it is at 900 RPM'S , oil pressure up, more than idle...........Any diesel engine likes to run, not idle. So, with all this in mind, and a lot of nights spent keeping warm/cool in a big truck, if it is going to be less than 10-20 minutes, my Coach is running at 900 rpms.
One more thought........I operate a 35 ton Tadano rough terrain Crane, 2015 model with a Cummins QSX engine in it.........Most days I start it at a little after 7am, and it runs all day till 3pm or so.......as with my semi's, Fathers diesel equipment, my Coach, my crane runs all day long.......I do not let it idle at the 700 rpm (factory set ) I ramp it up to 900-1000 rpm and never idle. I can not shut it off, as most of the time I am holding piping/pumps/motor's.....etc. and it has to run But there are hours spent holding on to things, waiting......and she runs.
One more thing.......The people with hundreds of thousands of miles under their belt if not over a million + of driving diesel engine's have one opinion, and the folks with their RV's have another...................
Like I use to joke with my buddy's and tell them.........I have more miles driving "Backing Up" than you will "ever" have going forward

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, fuel