Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #29
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Like I use to joke with my buddy's and tell them.........I have more miles driving "Backing Up" than you will "ever" have going forward
That's funny…

bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Most of the states have anti-idling laws, and laws stating to shut off your engine when fueling! All it takes is the one time, the wrong place, and the wrong cop, and you will be subject to a really big fine! I bought a generator at the cost of 9200.00 dls. to run instead of my big motor to heat and cool my Semi! So did all of my friends who own trucks also! Most of the big companys have APU's on all of their semis also!
One other note, is the new diesel is very flammable, If you do not believe me, take a little bit and throw a match in it! The old diesel the match would go out, the new, not the case! So, let them run at the fuel island, your choice, but not next to me! I will say something! You can take your life into your hands, but not mine! Just Say'n! Rail!
PS, I have never seen the fuel islands of any truck stop or gas station at the end of the freeway ramp? Your motor is plenty cooled down enough by the time you get to the fuel island!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #31

X2 on Guardrails response. I'll drink to that .................
Old 02-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
X3. Seems like common sense to me.

I think the reason many truckers idle so much is to keep their heaters, A/C, or reefers going. We don't have a need to do that because we have independent furnaces, and generators that most truckers don't have.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #33

my concerns are not limited to the turbo although that in itself is sufficient in my mind to warrant allowing it to cool down while keep a constant supply of oil to it, the turbo does not cool in the 2 or 3 minute drive from the highway, it continues to work and accrue heat unless you drive at 5 mph with no boost which some of you may do but not me, my concerns are also in relation to transmission temps, exhaust manifolds, oil temps etc, don't forget once you shut off the engine cyclinder head and coolant temps spike, hense the reason my BMW has an electric coolant pump that runs and cools the engine post ignition off, I cant imagine bmw added the pump if it wasn't necessary. in any event I will continue to do whatever I can to ensure my engine cools slowly and maintains oil pressure for a reasonable amount of time after running at highway speed for any length of time.

I am required to have an emissions test yearly except in the event the engine emissions are low enough to warrant a 2 year exemption which mine does, so emissions are minimal and the comment about the risk of fire is a little far fetched, diesels as we all know run with no spark generating systems and few electrical systems that produce spark and in my instance 30 or 40 feet from the fuel tank.

I have yet to see in my years of travelling the idle police, ever?

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
X3. Seems like common sense to me.

I think the reason many truckers idle so much is to keep their heaters, A/C, or reefers going. We don't have a need to do that because we have independent furnaces, and generators that most truckers don't have.
Trucker's know that it is way easier on the big diesel engine to run, than to start and stop the engine...........for short periods of time
This is very simple here, do as you please, it is your money, your fuel, and your engine...........
Old 02-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Shut it off.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #36

Again...... let it run with the idle kicked up, don't know about the new Engines...... common sense over Engine Manuals, Signs, Federal Law 5 minutes in every State? I guess I'll start looking for the US GOVERMENT license plate and a person with a stop watch.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
I think it's official policy, you only have to obey or enforce the laws you agree with.
My Cummins manual states excess idling can damage the engine. My choice....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I think it's official policy, you only have to obey or enforce the laws you agree with.
My Cummins manual states excess idling can damage the engine. My choice....
Yep....
Old 02-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #39

I only let it idle for a few minutes; beyond that I shut it down. I try especially not to run it at refuelling stops since unlike most big tractors, my exhaust blows out at what we can call "people level." If I had one of those rigs with a high mounted exhaust, I might think differently...

Steve
Old 02-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
In DEF engines, you'll get carbon buildup and need to regen, unless it gets too clogged, then you're screwed.

I shut it off after cool down per Cummins instructions.

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #41

Easy answer for me. The key to the fueling door is on the ring with the ignition key. Can't figure out how to unlock the door without shutting down the engine and removing the key!!!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

When we got our new to us DP I let it idle while we fueled up, We had a fear of it not starting backup again. Last time refueling we shut it down, a company called Emergency Vehicle Service got it fixed. Now it starts with no problems, so there's no more worry.

RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel