Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #57

Generator

y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Much of my travel will be in hot to very hot weather. I intend to run the generator and at least one AC while on the road. Is it considered appropriate to let the generator continue to run while fueling?
Living in FL and traveling mostly within the State I run the generator all the time with both AC's for the pups, never turn it off until I get to the destination.

As for my engine I usually pull into the fueling place, go into the building and pre-pay and when I come out turn off the engine. Am I worried about wasting fuel? Seriously??? When you average 6.4 mpg does letting your rig idle for an additional 10 minutes make much of a difference in fuel costs.

My reasoning for turning off the engine is that I like to go behind and check my dolly and straps and in Florida it's usually HOT. Does it HURT to let the engine run while refueling? I defer to the professional's who drive for a living.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I shut mine down, just seems the right thing to do

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #59
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You don't let up on the loud pedal and let it drop speed as you approach an exit ramp? You keep full on the pedal then slam to a stop at the end of the ramp? Ray is being realistic. It often takes a light or two, a turn, etc. to get from the freeway to a fuel pump. Letting it sit and idle is a waste of fuel and time, but if it gives feelings of 'drivin' a big rig,' go right ahead.

ok, so burning an extra cup of fuel maybe wasteful to some, but just can't grasp the waste of time. does it take longer to fill with the engine idling?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #60

The reason for cool down was, I thought, to let the turbo spin down from its 100,000+rpm speed so that when you turn off the engine (and stop the flow of oil through the engine and turbo), the turbo isn't spinning so hard it cokes up the now non-flowing oil...

So any time you apply much throttle after getting off the freeway, for example, you are spooling the turbo back up... you really should idle it down at idle speed.

Steve
Old 02-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
The reason for cool down was, I thought, to let the turbo spin down from its 100,000+rpm speed so that when you turn off the engine (and stop the flow of oil through the engine and turbo), the turbo isn't spinning so hard it cokes up the now non-flowing oil...

So any time you apply much throttle after getting off the freeway, for example, you are spooling the turbo back up... you really should idle it down at idle speed.

Steve
After running hard and if on a hard pull, a diesel engine has extremely high exhaust gas temps. , in turn the turbo is hot! The word "Idle" is used a lot through out this thread.....Like I posted before, Any diesel engine I operate, does not idle, it is bumped up to 900 rpm or so, and after a hard pull, running hot, and pulling off the road, the high idle lets it cool down properly with greater oil pressure......than at a idle for the turbo and other parts
Old 02-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #62

How does that work banging into gear?
How about the extra heat in the trans converter, while in traffic?
Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #63

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
X2. In general, idling wastes fuel, spews pollution, and can be a fire hazard. When the engine has been working exceptionally hard, that is the exception when 3-5 minutes can be beneficial to cool the turbo. Beyond that, see first sentence.
Other than the fire hazard comment I agree and it's what Cummins says in their literature.
If you drop a lit match into a pan of diesel fuel it will snuff the match out. Diesel doesn't give off fumes at normal temps like gasoline does.
Now, if you're are fueling up at a station where gas pumps are right next to your exhaust then there could be a problem. I don't worry about it because I ALWAYS shut mine down anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #64

Example, Cat 3412, 650 hp twin turbos. Replaced at 20,000 hours. Original turbos. Engine in a yard waste grinder and ran full RPM all day. When engine overheated, it shut down in 30 seconds.

Replacement engine 1000 hp Cat, with reversable fan. It no longer overheated but did often suck the air cleaner elbows flat.

How about some reports of failed turbo bearings, from RV owners?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #65
laj

since i let mine idle i don't have any.
one of several things avoided, and reasons why i do
Old 02-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You don't let up on the loud pedal and let it drop speed as you approach an exit ramp? You keep full on the pedal then slam to a stop at the end of the ramp? Ray is being realistic. It often takes a light or two, a turn, etc. to get from the freeway to a fuel pump. Letting it sit and idle is a waste of fuel and time, but if it gives feelings of 'drivin' a big rig,' go right ahead.
Most fueling stations along I-10 some 2500 miles? are within 250 yards of the exit ramp. The ramps are less than an 1/8 of a mile and you enter them at 40+ mph. 15 - 20 seconds at most to get off the interstate, with your foot off the loud pedal. I cant speak for your habits but it doesnt take me 2+ minutes to drive 250 yards and pull next to the fuel pump.

I've made the run back and forth between orlando and LA 8 times, shutting off the engine in under a minute is easily done. Time yourself sometime, 3 minutes is a long time.

I do shut mine from time to time (after a few minutes of idle time) when I want to get out and stretch my legs or buy a soda, but if I am just making a fuel stop I leave it running.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:40 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
The cool down period after exiting an interstate is just to give the turbo time to wind down and cool a bit. The 500 yards or so to the fuel pump (unless you are racing to get there) would be enough of a cool-down period for you. Now... if you had just finished a long, hard climb, I might want to give it a few extra minutes to cool down before shutting off.

We shut down at the pumps, too.

\ken
Exactly what Cummins says.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #68

So if you don't shut the Engine down for the 15+/- minutes for what ever break or fueling that you stopped for, what is it you are hurting besides a dollars worth of fuel you burned??
Just Curious.....

BTW I have 17,000+ hours & 707,000 miles on my C15 Acert (Twin Turbo) and have only had to change out one (1) Injector & one (1) Alternator in that time, Engine gets started and NOT shut off till I am done for the day,@stops the Idle gets bumped up to 1000.

That says something right there, go ahead and operate your Rig your way, it's yours to do that with but don't forget to post that your Turbo Seal Crystalized (from getting hot n cold) and you had to replace the Turbo......(because the book said to turn it off) Engine mfg. also make big $$ on parts too!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #69

Entegra Owners Club
Noise and fumes, for one thing. I don't like them and I don't know many people who do. Those who believe in idling, look at what Cummins recommends which is to shut down within five minutes or so. Do you think the folks at Cummins are crazy, or just plain stupid?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #70

I shut mine off. In addition to the exhaust at people level, when the air release blows it stirs up all kind of ****...dont need that.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.

Tags
diesel, fuel