Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 12:56 AM   #71

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only people that leave their DPs idling all the time have a "Corporate Fuel Card" in their possession.

You will see this at truck stops too. The independent operators are all shut down for the night. All the corporate chain drivers leave their rigs idling while they sleep!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:40 AM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a difference on the "cool down" period between the operation of a 2000 Cat -9 and a Cummins 2012 450 ISL. Obviously the engineering is a decade apart due to technological advances created by environmental concerns. I for one am following the manufactures directions and have for the three years I've owned and serviced my 450 ISL. No issues at all. Great power plant.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #73

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
The only people that leave their DPs idling all the time have a "Corporate Fuel Card" in their possession.

You will see this at truck stops too. The independent operators are all shut down for the night. All the corporate chain drivers leave their rigs idling while they sleep!
Yea that's not true about the Corporate Fuel Cards. I don't have one but at times would idle my MH when fueling. I pay for my own fuel as do all other MH owners. I just asked the question because I noticed that some do and some don't. I did not read that part of the manual for my 2014 6.7 liter ISB Cummins. Seems like there are opinions on both sides. Thanks for all the input, I will probably shut mine down after a minute or two unless I need to pull up to fill my DEF towards the rear of my unit.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post

Sorry Beachdude..You ARE Wrong, I'm an Owner Operator (I pay for fuel) Truck & Coach run while fueling and all nite when it's cold and I am tucked away in my Motel,
Old 02-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
So how many have noticed the absence of the "turn off engine while fueling" stickers on the truck side diesel pumps. I see them all the time on the multi fuel pumps, but I dont recall ever seeing one on the truck side diesel only pumps.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
So how many have noticed the absence of the "turn off engine while fueling" stickers on the truck side diesel pumps. I see them all the time on the multi fuel pumps, but I dont recall ever seeing one on the truck side diesel only pumps.
Big truck Islands.......I noticed........posted on all the gas islands
Federal and state "Idle" signs here and there
Old 02-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #77

Cummins DEF ISB so I shut it down.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 02-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #78

American Coach Owners Club
Left Indy this Am and headed south- stopped at Flying J Temp (28deg) Idled while fueling- Also left the furnace running- took 20 min in and out.
Bottom line If the weathers cold it idles, If its Hot out The Genny is running!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #79

It is evident - there is no clear cut answer as know one is reporting ruining there engine because of idling for a extra minute or two. My guess - it doesn't matter. Idling the length of a fuel fill probably doesn't affect the motor. Idling all night days on end might - but a simple 10 minute fuel up. My opinion - no problem. I leave mine running - more for proper cool down and fear of not starting at a fuel island. Why chance it. Mine has always started - but one day...may not. If it isn't going to start - I hope it is in a campsite were I can deal with it on my own terms....I don't gamble in Vegas either because I am to damn conservative and like the odds in my favor. Less start ups - less chance for failure :-)
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:51 AM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Wink "Idle or High Idle" ????????

OK , now a twist in this thread..........cruising down the interstate, then alls you see is brake light's You set the brakes, Dead stop, traffic for as far as you can see..........do the "Shutdown" folks shut their engine's down 10 minutes passes..........creep 200' then stoped again...........1/2 hour passes , nothing...........Ever been here
What do you do?
On, off, on , off? ON..........?
Do you do what the "Bible" (manual) says? and if not, why? You have been idling for 20 minutes now..........
Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #81

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
OK , now a twist in this thread..........cruising down the interstate, then alls you see is brake light's You set the brakes, Dead stop, traffic for as far as you can see..........do the "Shutdown" folks shut their engine's down 10 minutes passes..........creep 200' then stoped again...........1/2 hour passes , nothing...........Ever been here
What do you do?
Do you do what the "Bible" (manual) says? and if not, why? You have been idling for 20 minutes now..........
That is "situation dependent" to me. I do know that if I end up stopped in traffic more than 3-5 minutes and if I don't shut down, I will go to fast idle (DEF engine). Mike Cody told us at Camp Freightliner that the Cummins is sensitive to long periods of idle (again, talking DEF) and will throw an engine code, and that fast idle make the engine think it's going down the road instead of idling. That appears to be backed up in my Cummins manual which states never to idle longer than necessary, and that excessive idling will throw codes and/or cause problems. There is also supposedly something in the ECM that tracks idle time, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of that.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #82
Commercial Member

We shut down. We also don't do a splash and dash. We take our time!
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #83
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
What do you do?

to funny! but accurate.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #84

83 posts to get to some "useful" information...well done palehorse.....I cant help but wonder how some of my fellow RVs even manage to get out of the drive way--given all the "warning" and "precautions" associated with our rigs--safe travels road warriors...

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel