Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
OK , now a twist in this thread..........cruising down the interstate, then alls you see is brake light's You set the brakes, Dead stop, traffic for as far as you can see..........do the "Shutdown" folks shut their engine's down 10 minutes passes..........creep 200' then stoped again...........1/2 hour passes , nothing...........Ever been here
What do you do?
On, off, on , off? ON..........?
Do you do what the "Bible" (manual) says? and if not, why? You have been idling for 20 minutes now..........

I get off the highway, shut it down and take a nap till it clears up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I get off the highway, shut it down and take a nap till it clears up.
If you can...........most of the traffic jams keep you out there sometimes for quite a while, till a exit ramp comes up, if you just pull onto the berm,..........chances are you will see "Red lights" in your mirror's soon and forced to get back in line.......
Seen this happen, Berms must remain open........and if blocked, you just might of caused a life to be lost

Old 02-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Idling while refueling diesel pushers

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
If you can...........most of the traffic jams keep you out there sometimes for quite a while, till a exit ramp comes up, if you just pull onto the berm,..........chances are you will see "Red lights" in your mirror's soon and forced to get back in line.......
Seen this happen, Berms must remain open........and if blocked, you just might of caused a life to be lost

As I said, I get OFF the highway, meaning off an exit, of course.

And take a nap until the traffic clears up.

So if you have a breakdown you don't pull into the breakdown lane because "they must remain open at all times"?

Don't you suppose you're overthinking this just a tad?

Cheers!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:46 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
"Emergency lane"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
As I said, I get OFF the highway, meaning off an exit, of course.

And take a nap until the traffic clears up.

So if you have a breakdown you don't pull into the breakdown lane because "they must remain open at all times"?
"Emergency/breakdown lane" as it is named, better than a berm.

Don't you suppose you're overthinking this just a tad?

Cheers!
Nope, Like I said in my post, "Seen it" How about the ones that make a 3rd lane and drive on the berm ? Maybe they just don't want to "idle" their engine
"Cheer's"
Old 02-06-2015, 07:32 AM   #89

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never thought about the "stuck in traffic" scenario. Hmmmm for sure! Thanks for the fast idol tip in this situation!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Left Indy this Am and headed south- stopped at Flying J Temp (28deg) Idled while fueling- Also left the furnace running- took 20 min in and out.
Bottom line If the weathers cold it idles, If its Hot out The Genny is running!
Lucky guy.........

We are "stuck" here in The Burg!! Hahahaha

Suppose to be 50 this weekend - heck - I am thinking about heading out to my campsite and haveing a weinie roast!!

Safe travels - when are you back in The Burg"?

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #91

American Coach Owners Club
Just landed in Wildwood Fla- having my wheels Polished and heading a little further south.
Nice to see someone from B Burg on here.
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #92

I am kinda under the opinion, diesel fuel is cheaper than batteries and starters,and turbo chargers.
Usually let her run unless i have enough cool down time.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #93

I have used the Detour setting on my GPS twice to get out/off of backed up freeway traffic but I was lucky enough both times to be coming up on an exit. But this topic is idling while fueling so I guess a few of us are a bit off topic.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #94

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to whid1
my old 1990 Vogue DP w/3208T/A engine owner manual said to let her idle to cool her down and especially the turbo.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #95

If I get stuck I shut the engine down after a few minutes. If it's really cold I just monitor the temps and if it is or hours, just use the block heater as needed (since in really cold temps we are already running the generator to power electric heaters in addition to the furnace).

Steve
Old 02-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
If I get stuck I shut the engine down after a few minutes. If it's really cold I just monitor the temps and if it is or hours, just use the block heater as needed (since in really cold temps we are already running the generator to power electric heaters in addition to the furnace).

Steve
One thing I can tell you for sure,.......without doubt Steve.......Your diesel engine "Hates" you Sorry........
Start, stop, start , stop/////////// Traffic moves.........
Sorry for putting a new twist on this thread.........maybe I am a "Thread Killer" ?.........For some reason, this thread ....has slowed down? Mostly from the "Shutdown" FOLKS.........As always........"to each their own".
Sure would of thought....... We would of heard a lot more though........with the twist...........?
OK..... maybe a "Bible" re-think........do to "Science"?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #97
laj

the engines don't know the reason, only wear and tear and not being allowed to stabilize and cooled down. the reason is mute.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #98

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
the engines don't know the reason, only wear and tear and not being allowed to stabilize and cooled down. the reason is mute.
Best post yet.......Thank you...........Diesel's are "Born" to run".........

Tags
diesel, fuel