Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Idling while refueling diesel pushers

Not to beat a dead (pale) horse but the point here OBVIOUSLY is the difference between Modern DEF fuel efficient, clean burning Diesel engines and old diesel non-DEF engines.

As has been mentioned in this thread time and time again, if you idle a DEF engine too long you're going to get carbon buildup, check engine light, then if you don't do a regen to burn the carbon out you will go into limp mode.

Please refer to the Cummins reference mentioned above to see that long idles are NOT recommended. Only 3-5 minutes for turbo cool down, longer if excessive high input.

If you have an old non-DEF engine and you choose to let it run whilst refueling, against what the placards state at the fuel pumps then that is your choice and your responsibility, no harm in letting a non-DEF engine idle, just violating the rules stated that tell you to shut down your motor when refueling. If there's an accident, it's on you.

Got it?

Cheers!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #100
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"alpha99" is the thread killer here. He gave the most accurate and sensible statement, no need to discuss any further!

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #101

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Not to beat a dead (pale) horse but the point here OBVIOUSLY is the difference between Modern DEF fuel efficient, clean burning Diesel engines and old diesel non-DEF engines.

As has been mentioned in this thread time and time again, if you idle a DEF engine too long you're going to get carbon buildup, check engine light, then if you don't do a regen to burn the carbon out you will go into limp mode.

Please refer to the Cummins reference mentioned above to see that long idles are NOT recommended. Only 3-5 minutes for turbo cool down, longer if excessive high input.

If you have an old non-DEF engine, let it run.

Got it?

Cheers!
Still missing it!!!! My LORD!!!! in 100 posts "IDLE"! New or old!
DON'T TTTTT" IDLE"............. Old diesel engine's "Carbon" also......Idling.....
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
One thing I can tell you for sure,.......without doubt Steve.......Your diesel engine "Hates" you Sorry........
Start, stop, start , stop/////////// Traffic moves.........
Sorry for putting a new twist on this thread.........maybe I am a "Thread Killer" ?.........For some reason, this thread ....has slowed down? Mostly from the "Shutdown" FOLKS.........As always........"to each their own".
Sure would of thought....... We would of heard a lot more though........with the twist...........?
OK..... maybe a "Bible" re-think........do to "Science"?
I worked for an agency that had 825 diesel trucks (pre DEF) in the fleet. The fleet managers mandated that the engines not be idled for more than 5 minutes. Their rationale was it was more costly to them in parts and repair.

We paid for the fuel as users so it was cheaper for us as well.

It seemed to us that the trucks had less down time.

This was based on fleet averages. I suspect that indiviual vehicles will be different.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"alpha99" is the thread killer here. He gave the most accurate and sensible statement, no need to discuss any further!
+ infinity!!! Let me see... my MH goes to Cummins for service and they pull the ECM codes and see excessive idling. WAIT Cummins, I read it on the internet, so it must be true .

- OR -

my MH goes to Cummins for service and they see no signs of abuse because I followed THEIR manual. Warranty redeemed for any need non-maintenance repairs, case closed.

It's almost as if there is some trolling going on.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #104

RTFM...

Above post is close.

One should read the engine operators manual and see what it states and or contact the manufacturer to verify how one should operate the engine under the conditions that you expect to be.

Does not matter what your buddy or the epa states...it only matters how the engine is designed to operate.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
+ infinity!!! Let me see... my MH goes to Cummins for service and they pull the ECM codes and see excessive idling. WAIT Cummins, I read it on the internet, so it must be true .

- OR -

my MH goes to Cummins for service and they see no signs of abuse because I followed THEIR manual. Warranty redeemed for any need non-maintenance repairs, case closed.

It's almost as if there is some trolling going on.

Just curious, what does your cummins manual say to do? Mine says ... "Allow the engine to idle for 3 to 5 minutes after a full load operation. This allows the engine to cool gradually and uniformly."

And then after that, what does your rv's owners manual state? Mine (Monaco) says to "Allow the engine to run at idle for a FULL FIVE MINUTES before turning it off." The italics is the manual's, not mine. The manual doesn't specify full load, sort of loading, or even minimal loading.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:10 AM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Just thinking out loud here….If I was to pick where my engine quit running, would it be at the fuel island or the campground?
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Just thinking out loud here….If I was to pick where my engine quit running, would it be at the fuel island or the campground?
Old 02-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #108

It's illegal in WA state. There are decals on every pump saying "Engines must be shut off during refueling".
Old 02-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
IMHO!

I find this discussion rather amusing. It is quite evident that every engine series is spec'd differently and can call for different maintenance and operation requirements. So what is everyone ranting back and forth about, refer to your owners manual.

It is very apparent based upon reading many posts on this forum that most RV owners have little experience with heavy equipment, diesel engines and display little to no mechanical knowhow.

We are talking diesel engines here, and namely when to shut them off or restart. Fact is this...turbos like oil and if there is no supply of oil they will inherently let you know someday. That requires a run above idle supplying oil pressure to circulate, cool and keep those bits lubricated, simple really. Now keeping that said cummins running for extended periods at idle will eventually create some not so nice build up. High idle will remedy that so, its a matter of burn fuel or not. If you are economy conscious and driven by that, well then shut her down. If you are like me and "care deeply" then let it run. You will have less wear and tear leaving your engine running with warm oil circulating than you will having to restart, putting stress on components to start and lack of initial oil pressure. These engines are better suited for constant service, not on demand start and stop. We aren't talking about your generator here (that is another topic!).
Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #110

How much wear and tear can you be talking about? These engines are designed to last and typically will outlive the rest of the motorhome. Shutting it down and restarting a few more times in its lifetime isnt going to make any difference. I shut mine down and will continue to do so. The engine will last forever if you dont use it....just sayin...

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Just spoke with a fellow who owned a Peterbuilt dealership.

Said he had a tour of the Cummins plant in Columbus.

Said they had a section whose job was to routinely pull an engine from the line and test it to failure using all kinds of extreme measures. Hot temps then immediately cold. Starting cold with heavy oil, different oil grades, etc, etc.

If Cummins says to cool it off then shut down that is what I will be doing.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #112

If you're in Washington State, it's illegal under state law not to shut down.

Tags
diesel, fuel