Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #113

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Just spoke with a fellow who owned a Peterbuilt dealership.

Said he had a tour of the Cummins plant in Columbus.

Said they had a section whose job was to routinely pull an engine from the line and test it to failure using all kinds of extreme measures. Hot temps then immediately cold. Starting cold with heavy oil, different oil grades, etc, etc.

If Cummins says to cool it off then shut down that is what I will be doing.
One of my friends and fellow rescue divers is a supervisor in a section like you described in a plant in Ohio. His job is to take new engines off the line, and run them through different scenarios and try to make them fail. Then they slice them into pieces with some big hydraulic shears and throw them in a salvage bins. I consulted with him a lot when we were making our purchase. BTW, he gave a big two thumbs up for the ISM. I will get his opinion on this matter next time I talk to him.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #114

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
If you're in Washington State, it's illegal under state law not to shut down.
So is running 67 mph in a 65 mph zone Do you ever "Exceed" the posted speed limits
's...............

Old 02-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #115

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK I started this thread and I think I get the picture, Everybody do whatever you want, its your engine. I was just asking out of curiosity because one day while filling I saw that some folk idled and others did not. Thanks for all the help and opinions. I'm still lost as ever HA and will read my manual to see what Cummins suggests..
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #116

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
OK I started this thread and I think I get the picture, Everybody do whatever you want, its your engine. I was just asking out of curiosity because one day while filling I saw that some folk idled and others did not. Thanks for all the help and opinions. I'm still lost as ever HA and will read my manual to see what Cummins suggests..
There was a ton of "What Cummins suggests" in the last 115 posts...........
They also sell a ton of replacement parts$$$$
Good luck in your decision
A "Bible" is read form an Alter, what people do after leaving the Church?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
I guess in the end the engine run up around 200 degrees give or take, so the oil is easily able to handles those temperature, the turbo and exhaust is a different story, the are literally glowing hot if under a reasonable load never mind a severe 15 minute pull up one of Penn. fine hills on I81, so having welded, worked on my own cars, trucks skidoo and boats, the stuff does not cool down in a few minutes of idling, so if I burn 3,00 worth of fuel while I fill up before parking, that's what I feel is warranted base on my 40 years of experience and in this instance Cummins is not paying for my parts or repairs so I will do what my experience has taught me and let her cool down slowly with lots of oil running through her bearings and especially the turbocharger. for as long as I feel is needed, so shutting off is not wrong but running for 5-10 minutes doesn't hurt anything and likely helps. As far as pollution, in my instance my e test indicate an minimum of exhaust gases at temp, good enough to earn my unit a two year exemption because it runs that clean or exhausts less than 10 percent of the limit for exhaust which I expect is far less than most coaches and likely all trucks so not really a realistic concern.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
Paragraphs Moxy, paragraphs.

The vast majority of rv owners grew up on cars. Cars that rarely had turbochargers. They grew accustomed to being able to shut them off on a whim and restart them with ease. Repeatedly.

RV's, specifically diesel pushers simply can not be treated like that. You either have to educate yourself on what "oil coking" means, or take the word of those that do understand.

To replace a a car engine might cost $5,000, the diesel in your rv could easily run you into the $20K to $30K range. Remember, if "oil coking" wasn't possible, there wouldnt be a phrase for it.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #119

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
Paragraphs Moxy, paragraphs.

The vast majority of rv owners grew up on cars. Cars that rarely had turbochargers. They grew accustomed to being able to shut them off on a whim and restart them with ease. Repeatedly.

RV's, specifically diesel pushers simply can not be treated like that. You either have to educate yourself on what "oil coking" means, or take the word of those that do understand.

To replace a a car engine might cost $5,000, the diesel in your rv could easily run you into the $20K to $30K range. Remember, if "oil coking" wasn't possible, there wouldnt be a phrase for it.
One more voice of reason!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #120

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So how many have noticed the absence of the "turn off engine while fueling" stickers on the truck side diesel pumps. I see them all the time on the multi fuel pumps, but I dont recall ever seeing one on the truck side diesel only pumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Big truck Islands.......I noticed........posted on all the gas islands
Federal and state "Idle" signs here and there
Not a word about shutting off vehicle or engine on the big boy islands.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #121

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Not a word about shutting off vehicle or engine on the big boy islands.

So I am not allowed to drink it? oops...how about sniffing, is that ok?
Old 02-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #122

Back at post 64, I asked of any reports of turbo failures. Anybody?

Besides the guy whos turbo burst into flames, right after the shop put it on.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #123

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Back at post 64, I asked of any reports of turbo failures. Anybody?

Besides the guy whos turbo burst into flames, right after the shop put it on.
Your sample set is too small to be a valid indicator.

Cummins puts it this way, obviously their sample set is much higher than ours. ("oil carbonisation" = oil coking)

Quote:
Carbon Build-up Failure from excessive exhaust temperatures or hot shutdown of engine results in carbon build-up. It is recommended that you idle the engine for two to three minutes to cool the bearing system before shutting down. Turbine end heat soak into the bearing housing results in oil carbonisation and corrosion of the bearing system.

The main damage occurs to the shaft seal ring and grooves, turbine end bearing and bearing housing oil drain cavity blockage.
Carbon build-up can be caused by:
  • Hot shutdown of engine
  • Degraded oil quality carbonising in service
  • Infrequent oil change intervals causing oil breakdown in service
  • Air and gas leaks
  • Faulty fuel injector pump/injectors.
Bearing damage due to hot shutdown
Carbon build-up on shaft
http://www.cumminsturbotechnologies....arbon_build_up
Old 02-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramichi View Post
So I am not allowed to drink it? oops...how about sniffing, is that ok?
Sniffing diesel, especially bio diesel can lead to strange side effects.

Dude...

Old 02-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #125

scep,
I worked for a city, for 35 years repairing every kind of diesel powered equipment, they had.
In all that time, I recall 1 turbo failure. It was on a Cat powered truck engine, back in the 70s.

I maintaned many 600+ hp, turbo charged, wood waste grinders that shut down, at full load, due to overheat, all the time. They all lasted well over 10,000 hours.

I idle my turbo charged, boat engine, before shutting down, but do believe turbo chargers are much tougher then some think.

Just my thought
Old 02-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #126

Monaco Owners Club
twin..

We all come from different experiences in life, and I know we all appreciate yours. I know I have turned a wrench or two...

The trick is to add to our own experiences from those that have relevant but possibly more extensive experiences. That's why I offered Cummins opinion on the subject. Surely you can appreciate that they have torn down far more turbos...

Peace.

Tags
diesel, fuel