Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
If not a 40', what about a 42' or 43'

This "area/topic" of conversation has been discussed before. But I don't believe with this specifically twist.

I'm directing this thread specifically to those with rigs of 42' and larger.

Not meaning to discriminate against those of us with smaller rigs (like ourselves), but I'd like to hear from those with the personal experiences. They should have the most experience and be the most informative to all of us.

The set up:
1. We are in hot pursuit of a CC or Monaco Camelot 40', Tag, quad slides
2. 40' due to the many campground/campsite size restrictions (other than boon-docking)
3. As we visit dealers and private parties, we have come across 42' an larger rigs. Unfortunately, when we tour the insides (of the nicer ones) it's always "WOW" and "OH MY" and "I wonder if ..."

The question:
1. Many of you have 40' + size rigs and we have to assume that you are enjoying them and using them in places other than in your driveways (not necessarily a bad thing. But...)
2. As you travel, what types of camp grounds/sites are you selecting (obviously those with larger spaces). What I'm asking is, do you mostly go to higher end resorts - newer camping accommodation that cater to larger rigs?
3. Due to your size, do you have to reserve your spaces in advance of your trip (rather than spontaneous decisions on the road... Like, simply when you get tired and don't want to Walmart for the night)
4. If you were again in a position to be in the market for a replacement rig, would you move down to a 40', smaller, or remain in the large size as you have now?

1999 Winnie Adventurer 37.5' (we call it a 38' for short) with a Ford Triton V10
2009 Yorkie named Teddy
2010 Ausi named Bear
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
National RV Owners Club
A great question. My next rig is likely going to be in the 40 to 42ft range and I have been faced with the same dilemma. In my neck of the woods particularly (Western Canada) many parks are not really geared for large rigs. I find that 34' is the magic cut off for size for many rigs. That is obviously too small in many cases but if 40' is going to be a problem then how much more of a problem is 42'? Also, it seems that many 40' rigs still have a single rear axle. If you are like me and find a tag nice, how hard is it going to be to find one with a tag? Since I am planning on some extended travel in my future, space is going to be important. Intuitively, 42' sounds more desirable but maybe less convenient so hopefully some of those who have have either or maybe had both will chime in here and tell us their preferences and why.

1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:07 AM   #3
We are in Eastern Canada and travel throgh Canada and Eastern to Central US. Our coach is approx 43 ft. We have not had any problem in overnight campground locations unless it is a holiday weekend. We find the US a bit better than in Canada for locating suitable spots. We generally stop in higher end campgrounds that are "Big Rig Friendly". We used Big Rigs Best Bets and Woodalls Campground directory as a source to locate suitable campgrounds and as well we will always check the place out on RV Park Reviews.com.
2017 Entegra Coach Anthem 44B/450 Cummins/Spartan
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #4
Oh and if we were to trade our Motorhome we would either get the same length or maybe move to a 45 footer.
2017 Entegra Coach Anthem 44B/450 Cummins/Spartan
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we go to state larks around the area it seems that 40 is the longest they can handle. There are always a few rugs that are in the 42 foot range that sneak in. Usually we find that the actual space is not the issue, it is the road, path, to get there....
I know our next one will be 42 footer, as they seem to fit in most places we have been
Stefan, Nicole, and Ian
The Pups - Kaiser, Indar, Itsa, and Marty
2015 Newmar DS 4369
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We bought a 40 footer for a couple of reasons and one was the license requirement in Calif. However, measuring the beast shows it very close to 42 feet. I call it 40 when making reservations and 42 when bragging.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
We have a 43ft. and we generally look for big rig friendly cg's. If we are traveling to a destination and need an overnight or two, we generally call a few hours before we plan to arrive. For our destination spots, we generally target higher end places, but not always. For the next 2 weeks we will be in Florida State Park.
We haven't had any issues with getting a large enough space, but sometimes getting to the spot can be a challenge with narrow interior roads, sharp turns and "stuff" parked in inappropriate spots
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
While it is true a smaller coach will allow additional options of where to stop, I have traveled the lower 48 extensively and find that many of the state parks were built 40 years or so ago, they have been upgraded in many cases from 30 amp to include 50 also, the issue is usually the turns through the tree lined roads are narrow and turns are to tight. Having said that there many that have the ability to accommodate the larger rigs now, we travel and call for reservation as we are going down the road without any difficulty. Once in a great while it has occurred and we have had to change our route by 10 miles or so, what I do find quite often is availability, the location of choice is booked.
I just traded my 43 foot and moved to a 45.
Alan & Susan
2014 cornerstone 45b
2015 Ford Expedition 4x4
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:14 AM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
We have had smaller rv's and now enjoy a 43ft tag. Many state parks will not hold us some do BigRig book is our friend A side note: my dw as we travel the by ways will say "let's stop here and let me shop!" Standard reply can't to big can not stop. Saved$$ sometimes
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
...I call it 40 when making reservations and 42 when bragging.
LOL!! I do the exact same thing with our 41' 6" Mandalay!

I have not had any problems getting in and out of the various RV Parks we have used. And we have stayed at many small "Mom and Pop" parks. In fact, I'm in one now, the Alton RV Park on US 40 just west of Columbus, OH.

We have not stayed at any state or national parks, so I cannot comment about them.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #11

Any park that has pull throughs will accomodate big rigs. Biggest problem is thta most parks do not have a lot of these spaces (they take up a lot of room). Being they are limited in numbers reservations are a good idea. I have yet had a place that could not take me except during holidays. Going to the bigger size is well worth it.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #12

So far we haven't had any problem, a close call in Denver once.

We just call a head.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
We have had no problems with getting into parks, even if Reserve America says 40 ft is the limit, we call the park and been told that they have sites for our 42 foot MH.
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH
Full timers
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
We never have a problem. There are way to many plus points for having a tag. We park anywhere a 40 ft coach does, and just hang off the back of the site.

06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is online now   Reply With Quote