Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the RV is a rockin....

Don't come knocking because craps falling off of shelves and out of cupboards everywhere........

does anybody have a problem with their RV rockin side to side when parked or is my suspension just that worn out? I don't have leveling jacks to stabilize the coach, so what can i do to stop this thing from rockin back and forth when you walk out of the coach? thought about putting two jacks mounted to the rear bumper but was afraid that it would hurt the frame. I'm not looking to level the unit with the jacks, just stabilize it. would the jack idea work or is there a cheaper way (jacks for my length are about $100 each plus fab to mount them to the bumper...

thanks again for the help!

Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have leveling jacks bit even without using them I don't get the rocking you are describing. I would look at the suspension and start there.

Our class C rocked a good bit but the class A is stable without leveling jacks down.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chris, stabilizers probably would be more effective if you mount them to the frame behind the rear wheels if they would be easily accessible to put up and down. Four of them would be better than two. With two more you could stabilize the front also. Have any other issues where we can help spend your money?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #4

You have a serious supension problem if you have that much rockin while parked. I have an 87 Allegro with no jacks and we get some movement when walking inside but nothing that makes items fall off shelves.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMHO, you will have to install some sort of stabilizing system. I have a 06 w22 workhorse and when I walk inside without the jacks down, it rocks some, although stuff doesn't fall of the shelves. I think the suspension was built soft so it will give you a smooth ride. My last mh did not rock much, but had a stiff ride.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my first unit, levelers were not made for it. I carried three short pieces of 4x6 and 3 inexpensive auto parts store scissor jacks. I cut off one of the jackhandles and fashioned a bit for my drill. Just snubbed them to the frame and no rock and roll.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
If your springs are worn out, the result should be the coach resting closer to the ground. But the spring's compression rate should be roughly the same-- meaning, it shouldn't rock any more now than it ever did...

What causes rocking like you describe is a very worn out or possibly broken shock absorber (or two). Good shocks will substantially dampen any rocking to the point it's barely noticeable. With a bad or broken shock, there's nothing to absorb/dampen the weight put on the springs. Without any dampening, the coach weight added to your weight = more inertia exerted on the springs, causing the coach to lean farther that normal. And then the spring starts pushing back-- and without good dampening, the rocking process repeats. Good shocks absorb the inertia and 'bounce'...

Check 'em out...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How in the world can you drive it if it's that unstable? You for sure must be wearing a hard hat for protection. I would surely get it into a shop that could check your springs.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Getting new front bags in 2 weeks and new rear shocks in march, we'll see what that does
Old 11-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNiemann View Post
Getting new front bags in 2 weeks and new rear shocks in march, we'll see what that does
Since your current bags won't old air and you are getting new ones, I think you will find that the rocking while parked will be considerably lessened.

The other thing that comes to mind is that old bumper sticker saying of "If this unit is a rockin don't be knockin".

Just couldn't resist.