Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Any other thoughts on that coach? Was she perty?
If it is the tag axle model riding on a Spartan chassis, I saw that unit last year at a dealer show in S. Florida....then yeah she is real pretty, downright plush as well!

1998 American Eagle 40EVS

FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
I figure my MH out the door purchase limit will be $200k. Family of 4, kids age 7 + 10. What would all you experienced MH experts do? I am looking for insight, experience, all the things a noob needs....Knowing what you know now! Buy new, used....?????
I'd buy something like THIS and put the rest in oil stocks.

2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #31
I would immediately head for a mildly used Truck Conversion Motor Home.....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #32
Here is one example....this Rig has 15,000 miles on it...these engines do not break in until 60,000 miles or so....They will run over 500,000 miles before needing work...to top it off you can get work done ANY PLACE that works on trucks at a reasonable price.....check it out

Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #33
2006 32' Haulmark Motorcoach For Sale
Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #34
National RV Owners Club
After reading several recommendations for a particular coach (not named here) in this thread, I went to look at information on the web. I am amazed to see that even in the 45 foot models, with seating for a dozen or more people, the galley counter top work space is no better than in our 1991 32' Pace Arrow, which is to say, almost none. What is with the designers of these coaches?

So, if the family chef likes to cook, be sure to consider the galley work area. Even for those that grill outside 'most of the time' there is a whole lot of prep work in the galley before the grill is hot and the side dishes ready to serve, then clean up afterwards.

Our Pace Arrow is waiting for a new family to go play with, because we did find a coach with a great galley. Too bad the company went out of business.

1999 Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley, WA
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a day late and a dollor short on a response, but my standard advise is rent one first, a Class A and/or a Class C and considering the number of kids you mentioned, I would go for the A. Try to rent the largest class A you can find. Renting will not give you the full experience, but will give you a better idea. Take the rental unit to several larger, non-resort type RV parks and/or campgrounds and strive to strike up conversation with other campers. Normally you'll get an earful of whats right or wrong. I saw several units this past year while I was down sizing that have the bunk space as well as fold out couch beds. As to gas or DP, I advise gas if it's going to be a low use, occational trips most months, if it's going to be heavy use year round, the DP even though generally more expensive up front and on maintenance, is the way to go. Best of luck on your search.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #36
Winnebago Owners Club
There are some really nice units out there for $100,000. Keep the other $100,000 for fuel and maintenace...that kind of money would keep you in fuel the rest of your life no matter what the cost of fuel.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #37
Tiffin Owners Club
I will just answer your question straight up! Of course all the advice on this thread is great information.

We would go look at:

1) Tiffin Allegro Phaeton/Bus
2) Winnebego Journey
3) Newmar Ventena/Dutch Star
4) Entegra Aspire
5) Forest River Berkshire/Charleston

I would try to go one or two years old, so someone else can take the depreciation hit and work out the kinks. I would get the extended warranty...I want to enjoy and use the coach without worrying and I would spend the extra money (if there was any) on a matching Jeep Wrangler toad.
Justen & Kelly
Mico, TX
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #38
We're having the same issue. Looking at many used and new, we have 4 children, 4 to 11, need bunks. The best floor plan for us so far is the Fleetwood 40A with bunks on the back. It also allows the kids to have their own room during rain days. The issue is the kitchen, for a unit that sleeps up to 8, there's no space, or storage. The plus is gives you a second bath, so with three daughters that will be help. Good luck!
Horst-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #39
Monaco Owners Club
The Discovery at LaMesa was a classy looking coach with a lot of well thought out designs, big battery bank 360hp Cummings good sized bath and plenty of storage. there should be pics on their web site.
2011 Monaco Cayman 36PFT, Cummins 340 600w of solar 4 6v batts, residential fridge
2011 Colorado Toad, Blue ox Aventa Tow Bar
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #40
Yes the 40G is nice, but with seating only on one side? Not sure we're going to like that, the 40A, it gives a hide-a-bed, plus love seat, booth,and second bath. I wish another mfg like newmar or tiffin had floor plan like the 40A. We're also looking for one with a nice walk in closet in the rear which we could add bunks.
Horst-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #41
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see on the other site you have already found the Tiffin Allegro Red 38 QBA that has bunk beds. Just thought you would like to know that Lazydays in FL has one you can go to their site and see the pictures of it. They didn't have a shot of the bunk beds though.
2007 Allegro 34WA
Unified Tow Brake, Ultra Trac Rear Track Bar,PI/EMS-HW50C
2006 Saturn Vue
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #42
Tiffin Owners Club
I'm 5 years ahead of you. I didn't rent first, I bought. I drove and looked for a year. Had some great test drives. Proximity of a dealer played a part in my decision, it was nice for the first year of minor warranty work, but I know now that Tiffin, in my case, will let you pick almost any reputable shop.

I skipped the limited choices of a bunk bed for my then 4 and 7 year olds. Now at 9 and 12, and with the choices, the Fleetwood mentioned above gets the beds just right. And Tiffin has a Phaeton with bunks, but no extra half bath...but an awesome kitchen, and it's beautiful. Oh, and Tiffin support, which everyone has an opinion on...it's either great, or so needed that it has to be that way. I like my Tiffin, and I'd buy another. I'd still look at the Fleetwood, and the Entegra, and a Monaco.

For NASCAR races, apparently I'd like a stronger roof to hold a party of 10 up there-Monaco. For the kids, I'd like them to have their own room and TV like the Discovery. The kitchen and finishes in the Tiffin, for the money, top notch for me. Entegra has great build quality.

Good luck picking one. Even not having the bunks, we use ours 15+ trips a year, remarkably, we "suffer" through it.

2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH w/MBE926
Park City, UT
FineProperty is offline   Reply With Quote