Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 69
As a long time collector of motorized vehicles, here is the way I did it. I had no budget going in. I have never owned a motorhome in my life but we did have tents, popups an all that stuff. a close friend turned me on to a 1993 Airstream Land Yacht. After checking it out throughly i bought it for $23,000 in 2010. I then "street rodded" it by stripping off all of the exterior stuff . being in the media business I traded out a Mother of Pearl paint for ad time. I then had an extremely qualified rv tech replace all of the electronics and wiring. By now I was $31,000 in. I then bought a 32 foot pontoon boat for $24,000 bucks brand new due to the bad economy. Then I modified one of my cars (a 1937 Pontiac street rod with a corvette engine and all of the add ons) with a blue ox tow bar and drive shaft disconnect to use as a toad. I parked it at Birdsong's Resort on Kentucky Lake which is the nations largest man made lake with 2,300 miles of shoreline. I will never be a full timer. In fact I cant imagine trying to live comfortably in even a 45 foot long mh. I fact, I would imagine the pissed off factor for full timers is close to 10. I have NO slides (who needs moving parts and leak attractors. My grand kids, like my wife and I, have learned that whats outside is what is really important. Inside one of these monsters, when added to the risk of driving it, makes using it as a very sophisticated tent proper. I have less than $125,000 in the whole project. And believe me...your kids will finding sleeping in bunk beds very undesirsable. Put them through that and I can assure you they will never be interested in camping again. The formula is as follows:
1. you will use it 10 times the first year.
2. four times the second year.
3. 2 times the third year.
4. In the fourth year you will wonder why you ever bought this vehicle which has lost 70% of your investment in the first place.
5. And finally, the last thing your kids will EVER want to do in the their teen years is go 'camping' with you.

Be advised.
__________________

__________________
buki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 69
200 k budget

one more thing.
We do take it out on at least two 2,000 mile trips a year. It is not permanently parked at a resort. And now that My LA kids are coming back to TN we will make it available to them anytime and every time they want to go somewhere.
Its not about the money. Its about the dream. And my grandkids, who have NO idea about the difference in a 45 prevost and a tent love every minute of it.
Just because you can afford it does not justify pissing away your money on a toy.
__________________

__________________
buki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Would you like a hug?
__________________
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Just kidding. I have been properly warned. I can only try.
__________________
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
If I had $200,000, which is what I had, I would look at a higher end used coach. I bought a 2 year old '06 Newmar Essex with 18,500 miles on it and I've had it going on three years and the Nada is still higher than what I paid for it. Plus all the bugs run out. I bet you'll have more trouble running the bugs out of a new one. Then when you get it all fixed up it's probably going to be only half of what you paid for it.
Last year we also looked at a used Essex, didn't like the floor plan. It was also an '06 with a side booth and movable table plus it still had the original tires and batteries which would need replacing soon.
Not sure we even want/need to change from our '02 DSDP as we ordered it the way we wanted (except no Hydro-Hot) and the updates and upgrades we want are done.
Going to go to Phoenix for the Good Sam rally there and Newmar is supposed to have their 2013's there.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by buki View Post
Just because you can afford it does not justify pissing away your money on a toy.


Like Ralph Kramden said " I HAD IT, AND I WENT WITH IT" Go for it, get the nicest you can Afford....
__________________
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
TxRVMan's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mico, Texas
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by buki View Post
a close friend turned me on to a 1993 Airstream Land Yacht. After checking it out throughly i bought it for $23,000 in 2010. I then "street rodded" it by stripping off all of the exterior stuff . being in the media business I traded out a Mother of Pearl paint for ad time. I then had an extremely qualified rv tech replace all of the electronics and wiring. By now I was $31,000 in. I then bought a 32 foot pontoon boat for $24,000 bucks brand new due to the bad economy. Then I modified one of my cars (a 1937 Pontiac street rod with a corvette engine and all of the add ons) with a blue ox tow bar and drive shaft disconnect to use as a toad.
That sounds pretty cool, I wanna see it...where are the pics!
__________________
Justen & Kelly
Mico, TX
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #64
Member
 
Bigthee's Avatar
 
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW
I'll chime in with a little different perspective. After reading several RV forums for a few months and seeing what some people believe is acceptable maintenance, I'd choose a NEW one every time. I don't want someone else's problem.
I agree as well. We bought brand new and the problems have been minor. I feel better knowing what problems I have had. If you buy new be sure to buy from a dealer that will take good care you. We love the people at McGeorge in Ashland VA.
__________________
Steve, Kim and Theo.
Bigthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 931
go to RV.org pay the price it will be the best investment you'll make in buying an rv.
Then when you figure out what you'd like to look for go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for and they will email you up dates. They look at sites all over the internet. Remember this coach should fit your needs and wants not what other people think your needs and wants should be. When you get down to some specific models and years come back and ask what kind of problems that folks have had with the make, model and year.
Happy hunting and good luck.
ps I get no kick back from either one of these places
__________________
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #66
Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 82
We have a Phaeton 40QKH. Our kids are 14, 12 and 5 next month. They fight over the bunk beds! Even the 14 year old wants to sleep in the bunks, and they insist on the doors being shut

That leaves on kid on either a sofa bed (we have two) or the dinette (only good for someone around 5'). I'm glad that we don't have to have every couch opened and set up to have the kids sleeping, because I often get up before the kids and can move around fine with only one couch open.

I wish we had a second bathroom because invariably there is demand at the same time. Every. Single. Time. However, we are roughing it so we put up with the one bathroom

We love the adult bedroom of the QKH. Lots of room for us, and we feel some privacy, not that we are normally afforded much!

The layout is a bit tight for using the bathroom when the slides are in. We LOVE all the gorgeous woodwork. Blows all others we have seen away.

We love our unit. I hope it serves us well. We hope to drive it into the ground and create memories. The kids adore being in it, and we all slow down and relax. Precious.
__________________
Mom and Pop to 3 kidlets,
Enjoying our travels in our 2012 Phaeton 40QKH
terapin-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by buki View Post
As a long time collector of motorized vehicles, here is the way I did it. I had no budget going in. I have never owned a motorhome in my life but we did have tents, popups an all that stuff. a close friend turned me on to a 1993 Airstream Land Yacht. After checking it out throughly i bought it for $23,000 in 2010. I then "street rodded" it by stripping off all of the exterior stuff . being in the media business I traded out a Mother of Pearl paint for ad time. I then had an extremely qualified rv tech replace all of the electronics and wiring. By now I was $31,000 in. I then bought a 32 foot pontoon boat for $24,000 bucks brand new due to the bad economy. Then I modified one of my cars (a 1937 Pontiac street rod with a corvette engine and all of the add ons) with a blue ox tow bar and drive shaft disconnect to use as a toad. I parked it at Birdsong's Resort on Kentucky Lake which is the nations largest man made lake with 2,300 miles of shoreline. I will never be a full timer. In fact I cant imagine trying to live comfortably in even a 45 foot long mh. I fact, I would imagine the pissed off factor for full timers is close to 10. I have NO slides (who needs moving parts and leak attractors. My grand kids, like my wife and I, have learned that whats outside is what is really important. Inside one of these monsters, when added to the risk of driving it, makes using it as a very sophisticated tent proper. I have less than $125,000 in the whole project. And believe me...your kids will finding sleeping in bunk beds very undesirsable. Put them through that and I can assure you they will never be interested in camping again. The formula is as follows:
1. you will use it 10 times the first year.
2. four times the second year.
3. 2 times the third year.
4. In the fourth year you will wonder why you ever bought this vehicle which has lost 70% of your investment in the first place.
5. And finally, the last thing your kids will EVER want to do in the their teen years is go 'camping' with you.

Be advised.
I don't want challenge you. I don't want to argue with you. However I would like to understand you. If you hate motormomes so much, why are you on a motorhome site?
If you don't like motorhomes, I am fine with that. I don't think that evryone has to agree with me. However in the years in the business, my experience was that almost everyone loved their motorhome. Most people came back and bought a second and third one from us. The wives were usually the ones to drag their feet, but also the ones to come back for a bigger one.
Most of my customers overcame the teenage thing by allowing the kids to bring a friend along.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #68
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 92
still looking for our first one but have narrowed it down to Tiffin or Entegra. Newmar is nice also but reading customer reviews newmars are excellent quality but higher than normal cost to keep them that way. Tiffins rated the best of the ones I saw reviewed and they were Newmar, Winnebago, and Tiffins. Winnebago was the worst f the 3 quality wise.

but whatever you choose look at new ones and then when you find what you like look for one a year or two older to get some excellent prices.
Even new ones are discounted aggressively. i did a build and quote on a web site on an 2013 Entegra Aspire 42 DEQ and the MSRP was 357,000 but the quote i got sent was 269k for it. 25% discount before it even got built.
with 200K max budget you can still get an excellent motorhome. advise looking at several online dealers, then see if you can find something local. good luck.

DC
__________________
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 495
The comment made by biking are unbelievable. Why are you even on this site?

I have full timed for over 5 years in a 40 foot motorhome. It has been a great experience. Places we have seen. People we have met all over the nation. We travel with the seasons and have friends that we meet up with in different parts of the nation.

How could you be so negative? Maybe you should try it?

Steve
__________________
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafcone View Post
still looking for our first one but have narrowed it down to Tiffin or Entegra. Newmar is nice also but reading customer reviews newmars are excellent quality but higher than normal cost to keep them that way. Tiffins rated the best of the ones I saw reviewed and they were Newmar, Winnebago, and Tiffins. Winnebago was the worst f the 3 quality wise.

but whatever you choose look at new ones and then when you find what you like look for one a year or two older to get some excellent prices.
Even new ones are discounted aggressively. i did a build and quote on a web site on an 2013 Entegra Aspire 42 DEQ and the MSRP was 357,000 but the quote i got sent was 269k for it. 25% discount before it even got built.
with 200K max budget you can still get an excellent motorhome. advise looking at several online dealers, then see if you can find something local. good luck.

DC
Having owned two Newmars over the last 12 years and running a Newmar specific board I don't understand where you got your "info"?
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are You A Thread Killer max49 iRV2.com General Discussion 17012 Today 08:16 AM
Any Dolphin owners had AC problem Wolfpack Fan National RV Owner's Forum 8 03-07-2012 07:00 AM
50 amp on a 30 hookup - what do you lose? sadrand MH-General Discussions & Problems 37 03-06-2012 09:53 AM
Unlicensed drivers while getting service. You cant make this up. Bee950 Class A Motorhome Discussions 54 03-05-2012 03:03 PM
Musicians where are you ???? bachler Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 9 03-04-2012 08:06 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.