Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by buki View Post
And believe me...your kids will finding sleeping in bunk beds very undesirsable. Put them through that and I can assure you they will never be interested in camping again.

5. And finally, the last thing your kids will EVER want to do in the their teen years is go 'camping' with you.

Be advised.

I grew up with my parents having a class C bunkhouse style motorhome... not only did I love it (even through my teens) but I bought one when I could afford one for my family! Honestly your statements don't sound like those of a happy camper & it makes your kids sound selfish & ungrateful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #72

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
I would get a good used RV for around a $100k and invest the other $100K for my kids college fund.

Checkout Used RVs for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

I am sure you can find something you will like. Checkout the different floorplans.
That's exactly what I'd do. No way I'd spend $200k on an RV, let alone a new RV. You'll get twice the value used.
Go diesel pusher, maybe do a rental or two to see what's important to you...

Don't buy new.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #73

Hi Chris. It's good to see you are continuing your research. I'll give you two perspectives that differ dramatically from the two prior posts. We just got home from a weekend camping with our 15 year old twin girls and their two friends. Great weekend fund and the bunks got used as well as the hide a bed. In a few weeks we will be leaving with the kids for two weeks in Alaska in a rented Class C after our flight into Anchorage. Not all teens "rebel" against camping in the bunks and some even enjoy the heck out of it.

As to the used vs. new argument, well I guess the "never buy new" poster should have been with us and the guy next to us who bought used and spent the whole weekend underneath his rig trying to get his brake lights, back-up lights, and turn signals working. Oh yes, this was after he was trying to pry up his jacks because they wouldn't come up by themselves. He was also concerned about the heavy rusting on the undercarriage. But, hey, he didn't take the new depreciation hit. Granted his chance of getting a good rear ended hit is pretty high with no rear lights, but he didn't take the depreciation hit.

Enjoy your search Chris.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Hi Chris. It's good to see you are continuing your research. I'll give you two perspectives that differ dramatically from the two prior posts. We just got home from a weekend camping with our 15 year old twin girls and their two friends. Great weekend fund and the bunks got used as well as the hide a bed. In a few weeks we will be leaving with the kids for two weeks in Alaska in a rented Class C after our flight into Anchorage. Not all teens "rebel" against camping in the bunks and some even enjoy the heck out of it.
Ummm... am I missing something? I said I grew up camping in bunkbeds and continued that happily through my teens. In fact I even had a bunkhouse style motorhome for my kids.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
One year ago, we had the same dilemma, except we were looking for full-timing for my DH and myself. We were able to get a 2007 Winnebago Tour with all the bells and whistles in excellent condition for $150k, plus they put on all new tires for us to sweeten the deal. We have been extremely happy with the purchase. We did spend a little cash to add a washer/dryer and a macerator, but have never regretted the purchase. Stick to your budget and if you find the "perfect" unit, it's amazing how the dealers will deal with that budget.

And if the kids are happy with you at home, they will be happy with you on the road, no matter the sleeping arrangements!

Happy Hunting.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Ummm... am I missing something? I said I grew up camping in bunkbeds and continued that happily through my teens. In fact I even had a bunkhouse style motorhome for my kids.
Kat - they are referring to the posts #57 and #58 by BUKI.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Having owned two Newmars over the last 12 years and running a Newmar specific board I don't understand where you got your "info"?
found the link i got the information from and re-reading it that was how I interpreted it. Looking at it again it isn't saying what i thought. here's the sites comments on the 3 MH builders.

Newmar Corporation builds a variety of fifth wheel coaches and toy haulers, as well as motorhomes. Models and prices range from the affordable Cypress fifth wheel to the Class A, diesel King Aire motorhome. Owners at RV-Coach.com like the comfort and appearance, inside and out (although they suggest there is a cost to maintain the units). The company is proud of their Amish craftsmanship and updated floor plans.

Tiffin Motorhomes is a family-run business that manufactures the popular Class A Allegro, mid-range Phaeton and high-end Zephyr motorhome models. Owners who completed the survey at RV-Coach.com say their coaches perform well on the road and deliver good overall quality.

Winnebago Industries sold its first motorhome in 1966 and they continue to produce Winnebago and Itasca models today. Owners at RV-Coach.com rate the coaches' overall quality and value as above average, although they do report challenges with reliability.

Read more at Trails.com: 10 Best RV Manufacturers | Trails.com 10 Best RV Manufacturers | Trails.com

Sorry for any confusion

DC
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Kat - they are referring to the posts #57 and #58 by BUKI.

Kathryn

ahhh... thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #79

You know ... per advice in this thread I actually went to the Foretravel site to look around, and I gotta say, I may reconsider my intent to purchase new.

Looking at the motor pictures on the used units, they look in great condition. I'm sure they have been factory maintained throughout - nobody would be seen servicing their own million dollar coach! Then Foretravel services them and Certifies the ones sold on their site. To be able to pick up a million dollar coach, certified by the manufacturer, for only $150K +/- is not to shabby and leaves money in the budget for custom remodeling. The question would be acceptable floorplan and what systems are in place, since RVs have changed so much the last 5 years.

hmmmm ...

Kathryn

Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
To be able to pick up a million dollar coach, certified by the manufacturer, for only $150K +/- is not to shabby and leaves money in the budget for custom remodeling. The question would be acceptable floorplan and what systems are in place, since RVs have changed so much the last 5 years.

hmmmm ...

Kathryn

My understanding is that they are incredible machines. I'm not big on "vintage" stuff but every time I see a Foretravel pull in to a CG I'm staying at I HAVE to wander over and take a look see. I don't know of another rig where the quality appears to be so obvious from the outside fit and finish.

You're right about floor plan and systems being something you'll have to consider/compromise on if you go this direction.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

My understanding is that they are incredible machines. I'm not big on "vintage" stuff but every time I see a Foretravel pull in to a CG I'm staying at I HAVE to wander over and take a look see. I don't know of another rig where the quality appears to be so obvious from the outside fit and finish.

You're right about floor plan and systems being something you'll have to consider/compromise on if you go this direction.

Rick
I noticed most already had Aquahot, even back in 2000, which is good since I would not think that would be an easy retrofit. And they start out with big motors and trannies. I think I could pull my own shades down, if necessary! LOL!

Kathryn

Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #82

I bought a good used '06 Newmar Essex in '09 with 18,500 miles for $209. Looked to upgrade to a 2013 and they want my coach and $480. No way.

The '06's are going for right at 200 now. Not a bad deal. There's bargains out there and if the economy don't improve, there will be a lot more.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I bought a good used '06 Newmar Essex in '09 with 18,500 miles for $209. Looked to upgrade to a 2013 and they want my coach and $480. No way.

The '06's are going for right at 200 now. Not a bad deal. There's bargains out there and if the economy don't improve, there will be a lot more.
That was not bad for a unit only 3 years old.

I know there are many who would disagree, and please don't flame the thread but I just have a problem seeing the value in the high end Newmars when you can get an almost identical floor plan and systems built by the same manufacturer for half a mill less. A little bigger motor - but I can take "regular" tile and furnishings for a couple hundred K $$ difference.

Not to mention it just ticks me off to look at their website. (I will refrain from making it any stronger, but I use other words when I forget and go there to look at something.) I am by no means an expert, but I do some custom website design, and even I can set up a gallery that lets you page forward through a set of photos. On their site, you can only click to enlarge, then you have to close it, go to the next pic, enlarge it, close it, go to the next... There is no excuse for that, ESPECIALLY when selling an 800K unit!!!

They could go to TemplateMonster and get a site template as good as their site PLUS with the gallery feature for about $60 bucks!!!

And Newell, haven't checked them out past the pics - don't care for that shiny laminate & mirrors style. Just Hollywood for $2MM!!!

I was pleasantly surprised at Foretravel. They had a few innovative designs, like full bathtubs, and their dinette tables, and seemed like just good quality finish. Still wouldn't look at a new one for $1.2MM even if I had it! but heh - recycling is good, right? LOL!

Kathryn

Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #84

I'm just saying, I don't like driving off the lot with a new unit and leaving 30-40% of the value on the lot. Before I'd pay $200 for a new Winnebago, I'd take a three year old Essex. Already had the bugs run out and the TAXES on a new one, Oh Boy.

Besides, how many of you RV's out there like the NEW dark colors everyone's coming out with? If you want a light Cherry color, it's special order now. New ones look like a Funeral Parlor.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote