Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
We currently own a 2008 Forest River Berkshire DP with four slides and dollar for dollar I don't think there's a unit I'd rather have... It's MPG is simply amazing - 10 - 12mpg consistently and that's pulling a Mini Cooper... It has the Mercedes Turbo Diesel which is outstanding.

We purchased it used with 19K miles on it. It has so many standard features that are options on other brands...

I'd recommend you do a google search on this rig and just ck one out... I believe you will be pleasantly surprised - right Berkshire owners....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
New or Used?

This is all personal preference, IMHO, and finances. For me I'm on a slim budget so Used is what I got and will get. A lot of RVs don't get a lot of use and have low miles and some deferred maintenance which lowers the price more. I keep in mind the more bells and whistles the more there is to go wrong so I like simple and straightforward. As far as electronics; I find I can modify a rig with after market electronics for a reasonable cost. So far I have been able to pay cash for my RV equipment saving even more funds for travel. As usual YMMV

Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #17

It would depend on the coach, to buy used or new. We got our 2003 in 2005 as a bank repo and got it for $60K UNDER book at the time. High book was $149K, bank was asking $125K and we got it for $80K. It had 5700+ miles on it and was in good condition. It did have some 'issues' due to sitting for a while but I have worked most of them out. The wife would like a 'new' MH, so I have been looking but nothing newer then 2010 of so, before DEF and such.
As far as to size, I agree that 34' is TOO short. 38' to 40' is a good size and I also agree with three slide outs. For me a deal 'killer' would be the full wall slide out. While they may be fine for the roads in the 'lower 48' and good roads, I feel that it would not be a good combo roads the 'path less traveled' here is Alaska. As for other features, I want a Cummin engine and Allison trany, Onan deisel generator and good outside storage compartments. As far as the inside goes, for the most part what ever the DW likes will be fine. I see no need for the outside entertainment centers and the dish systems.
Look around as there are some good deals to be had out there, and have fun looking.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #18
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
I am considering the purchase of a class A. I have narrowed it down to a 34 ft pusher with 4 slides. It will meet what I think are our needs to travel and possibly full time after a few seasonal trips. I have seen some brand new models that are very tempting, but the price is high. Unfortunately, some of the features of the new model are missing on older units. I was curious if you experienced members were to start fresh --- What would you do differently? Would you buy new, slightly new, or overall an older unit? What manufacturers would you chose and what chassis is your pref?

I know this is a wide open post , but heck its been raining all week here!
Wanted a smaller unit when I got this one

Wish I had gotten a bigger unit

I think 40 - 42 is about right
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't let a coach that uses DEF scare you off. Using DEF is simply no big deal. Cummin has been using it it Europe for years. The folks that fuss about DEF are the same ones that still don't trust power steering or automatic transmissions.

Dave
Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Your first probably won't be your last.

Tag and more motor are on my wish list, but i'm very happy with our bought used 40' monaco.

A coach can't be too big. It can be too small, too old, or too expensive, but never too big.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #21

Great tips folks. I really appreciate your help. If I move up to a 40 vs 34, will that limit the places I can visit. I like state parks and National parks. I heard 40ft rigs run into problems getting into older spots. Seems a great deal like the Tag. Is that for drive improvement or ccc.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
Great tips folks. I really appreciate your help. If I move up to a 40 vs 34, will that limit the places I can visit. I like state parks and National parks. I heard 40ft rigs run into problems getting into older spots. Seems a great deal like the Tag. Is that for drive improvement or ccc.

Thanks
Yep. it will limit where you can go somewhat. Many folks do just fine getting a 40DP into a lot of state and national parks but it's certainly more difficult that with a 34'. It's all about trade-offs.

As for the tag... I think their primary purpose is increased CCC but a side benefit is a much improved drive improvement.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #23

If I was in the market I would do it again 40 -42 ft DP and new again hopefully I don't get the bug for another one any time soon.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
43 to 45 ft and tag, side radiator, aquahot,LARGE engine
Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #25

deasenealy - I spent a LOT of time likely over studying our last motor home purchase. I spent years looking on ebay and other sources. We started out looking for a 34' coach too. We ended up with 42' and two slides instead of shorter and more slides. Was that the right way to go, yes, but it does limit you a bit as to where you can park. I still don't like slides in front on the passenger side. We use our basement storage all the time. It is much much harder to get to with a slide there. We do not have people in our bus all the time. If you want to do that get two front slides.

I don't think any of the major motor suppliers have problems. I have heard complaints on non of them. We have a Cat. We have had no issues with it. Everyone has Allison transmissions. So nothing to decide.

Full time RV living though calls out for heavy duty components. That mean solid counter tops and table tops. Think laminates will look worn too soon with full time. We have leather upholstery and ours seems to look better with age. If you get cloth be sure it will take the wear. I recommend against light carpet. We have beautiful wool carpet in some areas. It is a pain to keep clean. Be sure!! you get pull out trays in the basement. These are really helpful in storing. You need two full width storage bays if you full time. Likely impossible to get on a 34'. Thick clear coat on exterior paint really helps keep it looking good. Our paint looks almost new and this is it's tenth year.

The fancy stuff is what breaks. Almost all of our repairs have been on things like Satellite dishes, aqua hot, smart wheels, inverters, auto turn on generators, auto door locks, and so on. We have had an extended warranty. For us it has been very good from an investment standpoint.

Some makers did do things in an organized way. Ours is a Country Coach. We were pointed in that direction by the RVCG rating service. In my opinion the construction quality of our coach is as good as any I have ever seen. Some friends of ours have a 2005 Foretravel and it is similar to our coach. We also have a number of friends with 34-36' gas and diesel coaches that are simple. They have few problems. But those coaches are not made for full time.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
Okay, I get it that some people want to have a bigger coach, or a nicer coach, or as much coach as they can afford, and I can certainly understand the mantra that bigger is better IF bigger is what really turns you on, and IF it's what really works for your needs..... But, how can anyone say (and several have) that a certain size or type of coach IS or IS NOT suitable for fulltiming.... I have a 36' gasser with only two 15 foot slides, and I think I'm fulltiming in tall cotton. It's very comfortable, has everything I need, the systems (and maintenance) are pretty basic, and I can fit in just about anywhere I want to be, and that's really important in my world. But then, I'm a fisherman and whitewater guy who needs to get to rivers and lakes, not those posh little RV resort 9-hole golf courses. It's ALL about how YOU will use your rig and what makes YOU comfortable. I bought mine new, I like what I have (very much), and I would do it again. Just my humble opinion, of course.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #27

With respect to $$$...I think the argument should NOT be new vrs used BUT cash vrs finance.

For example.... If you were to buy a NEW $400,000 MH in today's market and negotiate a 35% discount + a $5000 Extended Warranty... your cost would be $260,000. Drive it for 5yrs and list it for $180 & SELL it for 60% of MSRP - $160.....your 5yr cost would be $100K

Second owner buys it for $160K + $5000 (EW) & $5000 for new tires & Misc for a total of 170K......Drives it for 5yrs and lists it for $90K and SELLS it for 80% off MSRP - $70K..... 5yr cost would be 100K

Third guy buys it and drives it into the ground.... with repairs etc. 5yr cost runs around 100K.

Who made the best deal? Probably all 3 did OK considering a MH is a sink hole for depreciation.... the big looser is the guy who has to factor FINANCE into this equation.

Who cares whether you're buyer number #1 or #2 or #3..... as long as you pay CASH!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #28
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234
With respect to $$$...I think the argument should NOT be new vrs used BUT cash vrs finance.

For example.... If you were to buy a NEW $400,000 MH in today's market and negotiate a 35% discount + a $5000 Extended Warranty... your cost would be $260,000. Drive it for 5yrs and list it for $180 & SELL it for 60% of MSRP - $160.....your 5yr cost would be $100K

Second owner buys it for $160K + $5000 (EW) & $5000 for new tires & Misc for a total of 170K......Drives it for 5yrs and lists it for $90K and SELLS it for 80% off MSRP - $70K..... 5yr cost would be 100K

Third guy buys it and drives it into the ground.... with repairs etc. 5yr cost runs around 100K.

Who made the best deal? Probably all 3 did OK considering a MH is a sink hole for depreciation.... the big looser is the guy who has to factor FINANCE into this equation.

Who cares whether you're buyer number #1 or #2 or #3..... as long as you pay CASH!
If I am going to loose the same amount of money
I want to Order exactly what I want and be the first to....;
If its all going to lose the same
I do agree completely on finance, but I would never finance, new or used jmo