Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #29
laj

Agree with B Bob. Exactly what i did and feel i got the right coach the first time i have heard of issues with cummins. There is a reason they are cheaper to buy, and buy parts for. Jmho
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
If I am going to loose the same amount of money
I want to Order exactly what I want and be the first to....;
If its all going to lose the same
That's what we did, but we decided to enjoy it while we paid for it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #31

A few things to consider before buying your 34 footer.

1) if you do go full time you likely will need a car to get around in as well once you park the MH for any period. you might be limited s to the size of a car you can pull with the 34 footer. Also, diesels don't lose much in gas milage while pulling a car whereas a Gas MH could lose about 3 MPG.

2) as mentioned there won't be as much storage, and living area will be small.

3) diesel engines last much longer than gas engines if properly maintained. while diesel is more expensive it balances out in the long run if towing a car all the time and I would think diesel pushers have a better resale value. that is just my opinion.

We will be buying our first MH within a month. Spent the last 6 months looking at every maker, model, size. We will be buying a 42 to 45 footer. limits where we can go but for what we want it works. I also will be working out of the MH so we will be writing off a chunk of it. looked at the 34 to 40 footers and they were just too small for us. rather have too much than not enough.

good luck whatever you do and post your rig so we can see it.

DC
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
New or Used ?

Myself, as a former broker in the luxury yacht business,( similar business ) and with that knowledge regarding depreciation and trade-ins, as well a recouping your investment down the road, I would buy used. Get a knowledgable long time RV owner to help check it out as well.
My Most Important Advice from Experience is : PLAN ON A COMPLETE SET OF NEW TIRES, EVEN IF THE ONES ON NOW LOOK GOOD !!!! Factor that into the cost, and get the best ones you can afford, and avoid Chinese Tires, as well as tires of over 4 years old regardless of wear.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
I have a 40DP and have had zero problems getting into any park I've wanted to... Obviously a 34 might be easier to navigate but a 30 would be even easier.... Guess you get where I'm headed... The only limitations I've noticed in parks (especially when trying to make reservations) is that some don't allow or even want the 42' and 45'... Their roads within the park just aren't designed to handle that length...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have bought 2 used Class A's, both 2-3 years old. First one I had for 11 years and it still looked brand new. Just bought a 2009 with 17k miles, first one had 29k miles. Both units were American Eagle because of the excellent customer service I get from the factory parts and service people, quality and styling. I paid cash for both and saved almost 50% from new on both units from original purchase price, I didn't want to absorb that kind of depreciation.

My first unit I had someone update the floor, wood on 45, new LED TV's, valance and curtains and the total after paying someone else to do the work was still less than 1 year of depreciation.

I am a believer better quality a little used is better than lesser quality new in the long term.

You have to look at your personal situation and determine what is best for you financially and personality. RVing is full of trade offs so do what is best for you to fulfill the most important items to you.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have bought three used Class A's and would not buy new just because of the hit you take on the first years dep. My opinion is 39 to 42 feet and 3 or 4 slides. You will love the extra room. Any RV can get really small with two people sometimes when you have no place to hide out for a while.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote